Notices

Today is the day

Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hello again navari.i think wolfchild is right,,have you considered going to AA? at the begining when i stopped i went to meetings almost every day and was hanging by a thread.the meetings were a great source of information,and support in what is a very difficult and frustrating time.ive now taken on board the recovery programme wholeheartedly and my life is changing beyond recognition.in the early days things can be very confusing and you can feel a little lost after deciding to get rid of your crutch.try a few meetings and see how it goes with other folk who know exactly what you are feeling ang going through.your husband sounds wonderful but as he isnt alcoholic he will never truly understand.AA will be full of people just like yourself and in a little bit of time and work your husband will get back the lovely lady he married! just something to consider.i wish you well with whatever you decide to do!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi navarri
I can identify with you being snappy with your husband and son. In my first days after giving up booze i felt i wasn' t really being a good mum as i hadn't patience with my kids and was too restless even to play or do anything with them.

However I assure you that really doesn't matter. Just concentrate on not drinking!!

I'm quite surprised because I think I was a much more fun mother when I was drinking but my son has told me this is not the case. -i used to shout apparently although i don't remember that!! We obviously don't see or recall things very accurately.

My kids are really pleased I've stopped drinking. This doesn't make me the perfect mum but they say they like me like this!!!

As for the cold-I got a really rotten cold a few days after giving up too-apparently it's quite common. It will go so keep on taking it one day at a time. It really is worth it!

Thanks for posting as what you say reminds me that I would be daft to relapse and have to start again -the first days are definitely the hardest.

Hang on in there and keep posting!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My head cold...just sux! As long as I'm taking some OTC sinus stuff it's not too bad, but it only lasts 4 hours. Woke up just stuffy and coughing (still smoking too much which doesn't help the cold). I did not drink last night. I ran all the options through my head (numerous times) on how I could, but I didn't.

So here we are day 3, feel like crud. Slept well enough, but I could sleep some more.

Is is true that when you quit drinking you get a head cold or symptoms like it? I thought my son just gave me whatever he had last week!

Off to another day. I think I need some vitamin water to drink at night, plain water is just getting old.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Navarri, just keep focusing on today, and pretty soon you'll have a string of days, then a week, then 29 days like me. In my amateur opinion, tackle one addiction at a time. I eat too many sweets and have tried to cut back, somewhat successfully. I think you should do the same with cigs but don't beat yourself up if you need a heater. Focus on your sobriety and whatever it takes to achieve that. Then when you're feeling more confident and have stabilized physically, tackle the heater habit.

Keep posting here. In just a few days, your posts have become less frantic. You're tackling alcoholism, and I believe every day will get better.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Navarri

You're on day three, I with you on day four. It sounds like you're doing well, all things considered, and I'm happy to be sharing this journey with you. I had a couple months without a drink, then foolishly went back to drinking for a couple weeks, which really screwed me up, and now I'm back on day four. I hope we can both do it right from this point on. Like you, I felt irritable the first couple days, but feel a bit more relaxed this morning. I drink alot of coffee, water, tea, and have been munching on a chocolate cake for a couple days now. I have a doctor's appointment today, just an annual checkup, and I'm going to mention my desire to stay alcohol free, just to get his take on the change and his advice on how to do this. I'll let you know if anything interesting is discussed.

I just want to welcome you on your new path and offer support in any way possible. I know it's tough but it does get a little easier day by day, so we just have to ride out the storm in the early days. After the winds subside, we'll be able to learn how to live comfortably without the booze, and SR has proven to be an invaluable resource toward this end. I'm wishing you a pleasant, smooth, enjoyable day today, without the booze.