Notices

Today is the day

Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Today is the day

Day one of sobriety.

There is no alcohol in the house, not even the mixer that I used. We have a busy day planned and I'm hoping that I will be able to sleep tonight.

I'm armed with a supportive hubby, a cousin that is a member of AA who also works at a recovery center that I can call, you guys, started taking vitamins a few days ago and my prescription of Xanex.

I need to do this for myself, my son, my husband, and for a better life. A life that is honest and not hiding my addiction. I want to be the person my mom believes that I am, not who I have pretended to be, because of my alcoholic brother.

I'm feeling anxious, excited, relieved (a lil' bit) and hopeful.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Navarri, Hi and welcome to SR
Congratulations on day 1!
and good for you for choosing to move forward and heal your life..
I am excited for you
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and have a plan!

Thats a good start on the journey
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck. You can find lots of help here, if you want and need it.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You sound very positive & hopeful, not angry or resentful the way I was. This is good! My motivation for stopping was similar to yours - I was tired of the sneaking & hiding, and it didn't even taste good or feel good in the end. I just kept up with an old habit that once upon a time made me feel better about life. I don't need it as a crutch anymore. Congratulations on your new beginning.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Woooohoooooo! I loved reading your post, you have a great plan, a positive attitude and great reasons to stay sober. You chances at success look great!

I look forward to reading about your day & your recovery. Kick this disease to the curb & live a wonderful life.

NB :ghug
Old 06-07-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hello nanvara,,your life can begin now! well done on making the descision and taking action.i will be waiting for updates with anticipation!:ghug3
Old 06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Excellent plan!!! Good job!!!! You are well on your way already!

Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone.

It's nighttime which is when I would always have a drink.

I can't, so we shall see what the night brings.
Hopefully sleep!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know it's a big step.You can do it....lol. Oz...
Old 06-07-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Drink lots of water to flush the alcohol from your system.
Hard candy for shakes...aspirin for aches.
Rest even if you can't sleep Cut out caffefine.
Try eating small ammounts of soft foods

Best wishes for a smooth de tox....
Old 06-07-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the community!!
Your making a great start!!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Last night was....ok. I was a little snappy with my wonderful hubby when he would ask if I was alright. It took me a while to stop pacing around before my son went to bed, smoked too many cigs (which is something else I want to quit soon), but was able to get to sleep at a fairly decent time, later than normal but at least I slept.

I didn't wake up in a sweat at 4 am as I usually do, that was nice. The whole family actually overslept! I slept well, woke up, remembered what I ate the night before and what all me and DH talked about and did. No looking around the kitchen and wondering what we had done the night before (I used to hate to ask hubby, cuz then it was obvious that I had forgotten).

Drove by the liquor store this morning, I was OK. There wasn't a deep desire that I thought would happen. I thought about it, of course, cuz there is no liquor in the house and that usually meant that I would need to go in.

So here we are Day 2. I'm beginning to get a head cold (or allergies, not real sure) so not feeling so great, but I don't think it has to do with the lack of alcohol. Just sore throat, stuffy head and headache. No shakes, or anything like that.

Thanks everyone! I will keep posting, just because I think it makes me feel better to come here and read your responses and read how other ppl occupy their time now that alcohol isn't in the agenda in the evenings. I do have a stack of library books and my internet game (can't play that too late, cuz it gets me anxious).
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Carols right kick the caffeine out with the booze...

And plenty of rest and water.

god be with you............trucker
Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Trucker! After I read Carol's post, I had a glass of water with me at all times last night, my hubby even kept refilling it for me (I really am a lucky girl to have him in my life). Don't know if it was the sore throat or lack of alcohol, but it kept goin' empty on me! I'm not sure if I can give up the caffeine too, but I usually only have one soda in the morning when I get up. Yesterday might have been an exception, but I didn't have any caffeine after 1:30 in the afternoon. I don't drink coffee anymore, except on the rare occasions. Hoping for a nap today when my son gets home from camp, but once again I think its the sinus issues I have going on.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Navarri,

You're doing a great job! With your new life. Noticing your blessings (Your hubby) is also really important to what you're doing right now. I can't say I've read about anyone doing this better than you are. You have a plan. You've got support. Your talking it out. You're doing all the right things. I'm so impressed. Keep up the good work. Each of us here knows how incredibly hard what you're doing is. For me, it was a heroic effort when I first quit. I'm really proud of you!

- mle
Old 06-08-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not doing so well this evening...VERY frustrated, anxious and just down right pissy! Is it because I know the liquor stores are open? Hubby and son went swimming at the neighbor's pool. I didn't go because he keeps the outside fridge stocked with beer. I don't drink beer, normally (I did sometimes last summer, but don't care for it too much).

Not feeling well, because of the cold/sinus/allergy (whatever is wrong). Just a foul mood in general. Hubby keeps looking at me like he wants to make it all better, but he can't (reminds of when our son was a preemie).

I didn't get the nap I wanted and I was very irritable with my son (I'm never violent, just no I don't want to help you play your game sort). Tomorrow will be an even longer day...

One day at time tho, right? At this moment, it's just a minute at time. Blah!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Perhaps you could attend a few AA meetings to fill your idle time?
Meetings are a great source of support for recovery. You could even pick up a couple phone numbers while you are there! Keep moving forward and don't take that first drink!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hey Navarri. Welcome to SR! You just gotta hang tough right now. I thought I was 'perfectly normal' when I quit drinking, my husband tells me I was a *(&*!

Sobriety gets better and better for your family, too.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Navarri