Notices

doctor call

Old 05-30-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Angry Doctor Call Part 4...

Ok all... first off I want to thank all of you who have responded to my original post- whether I like or dislike the posts- I found most of the posts very very positive and helpful, encouraging, and supportive. I was kind of shocked by a couple or a few things that were said, especially by Noeller and TommyK, not that they were'nt in themselves somewhat encouraging. I am not a soft touch kind of person, but I do know that some words can hurt and you don't know me whatsoever, likewise I don't know you either. If you see what I mean.
Trucker: Yes mate, the rehab people are a support organisation (run by the local council). I wasn't that surprised by the bloke asking me to cut down (the first time I saw them), as my 'old' doctor did the same....
Stone: The doctors (well round 'ere, anyway)- don't do the detox thing anymore, it's all done by local council-run/funded agencies. Time moves on I guess.
Noeller.... with all respect... you know absolutely nothing of my situation, so when you commented about my supposed crankiness, I was somewhat dumbstruck...felt like a kick in the head. Sorry, but depression affects everyone seriously, I have it (not boasting or looking for sympathy), have also been diagnosed with PTSD so please leave any personal comments out of any discussion on my alcoholism. Thank you.
TommyK: Yes I also believe in 'Tough Love', but isn't that for teens and kids who are uncontrollable?? I see somewhat of where you are coming from though, and again, you don't know anything about me, my experiences with doctors (who have genuinely messed me about and made MAJOR Clinical mistakes), my local Council (same again, have actually lied to me twice about differnt things and lost paperwork), etc., etc.
As for "I have a problem seeing people WITH AN ATTITUDE coming through rehab time after time,"...., errrr... I only have that attitude because they didn't do a thing for me the first time I walked through their doors!!!.
Everyone else: Thanks and hugs
Is this over now? Can I relax yet?.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno - I've learnt enough to know that not everything is my fault - particularly when doctors or caseworkers let me down.

I think it's far to say too that the best doctor patient relationship should be a two way dialogue, not a lecture from either side.

I've been all points of the compass on the tough love thing too.

For myself I've realised, through my own experience, that what we call tough love is probably not best applied across the board, or on the basis of a handful of posts.

That's the admin out of the way LOL. Vive la difference.

I'm glad you got something of this thread Eog. Keep posting mate.
D
Old 05-30-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

What I'm about to say if more for the benefit of the invisible ones ... those who haven't the courage yet to sign in and post their problem, the 'lurkers' ... some who come here and continue to drink while they read - because they can't stop AND they can't get help.

I am one who is all about going through a detox
in any way shape or form WITH medical supervision.

I stopped drinking cold turkey.
I had convuslions, and a possible stroke
because I quit drinking without
medical supervision, or advice.

Two years into recovery
I am still suffering some of the effects of that
trailer park detox.

I would rather err on the side of caution
than have anyone take risks with their lives.
Whether I know them or not.
Whether I like them or not.

I am not a doctor
neither do I play one on tv.
No one else here
is a doctor either
and if they tell you
they are -
they're probably lying.

Alcohol is more than a psychological addiction.
It is a medically proven physical necessity
for those who have reached a certain point.

Not one person here can know
what that point is with any other person here.
Tough or soft
strong or weak
nice or nasty
stranger or siamese twin -
sudden cessation of alcohol ingestion
can be fatal.

Period.

You've received some good advice regarding your original post.

Please remember I direct this mostly at the lurker who is watching all of us.

I hope you'll decide to choose life.
I beg of you to do that choosing in a safe, controlled way.
There is excellent wisdom on this website
and I hope you'll choose to take advantage of it.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hi mate

I was damn lucky when I first went to the GP the person I saw couldn't have been more understanding and pointed me in the right direction. It was good luck as well 'cos I've found out over time that most GP's couldn't care less about us 'addicts' we bought about our selves after all, as if we actually chose this way of life. Do you have a Community substance misuse centre near you? if so get in touch with them they will give you all assistance you need.

good luck and don't give up hope there are some good guys out there
Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

eog - I know not everyone is ever going to agree with everything I have to say.

I have a sponsee going through a situation right now that he has gone through many, many, too many times before.

Each time after he relapses (3-4 days benders) he seeks medical support. Last week he went on a relapse bender, he was sick for two days before seeking medical attention. He has a small tear in his esopagus this time (from throwing up).

The medical people checked to be sure he wasn't in danger of dying, told him not to drink or smoke, and sent him home. HE IS IRATE. He wants benzos, he wants detox, he wants rehab, he wants care / comfort / kind words. He wants everything he has received too many times before. He feels the medical community has 'let him down' before because he still has his problems.

He wants everything EXCEPT to pick up the phone before he takes the first one.

He will die if his behavior and attitude doesn't change. I like to tell people the cold hard truth (tough love?) BEFORE they die. That way at least if AFTER they die I don't worry that I didn't do everything I could.

The first sponsee I ever had died. I always told him that the medical community were all bastards and that everything was going to be okay, just keep coming back. Well... he didn't make it back. And I always wondered if I did everything I could do.

Now I do everything I can do - I tell people they can DIE if their behavior and attitude doesn't change.

I am VERY often not the most popular person when I speak the truth.

(Re-read my previous post eog, the words in bold were for you, the rest was general talk for everyone else.)