Notices

If you think drinking was bad....

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you think drinking was bad....

.....try watching tv for three or four hours straight. As each hour went by last night, I could slowly feel my brain turning to mush, my senses dulled, and when I went to the washroom, I looked like a zombie out of a horror movie.

Thank goodness I know how to read, that is helping save my life.

I think we should start a new reality show which shows the effects people experience while watching reality shows, could be an award winner, here, you've won the duffus of the year award.

Gosh, I need lots of help, wonder if the entire psychiatric board is busy this weekend?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't mind watching the discovery channel, or the history channel. The rest is mostly a waste of time.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
.....try watching tv for three or four hours straight. As each hour went by last night, I could slowly feel my brain turning to mush, my senses dulled, and when I went to the washroom, I looked like a zombie out of a horror movie.

Thank goodness I know how to read, that is helping save my life.

I think we should start a new reality show which shows the effects people experience while watching reality shows, could be an award winner, here, you've won the duffus of the year award.

Gosh, I need lots of help, wonder if the entire psychiatric board is busy this weekend?

I'm not big on T.V. I noticed when I was drinking though, I got into movies more...time seemed to pass alot faster. This message board is a lifesaver...i definitely would have had a drink by now if I hadn't found it.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
After my ex booted me out of the house and I got my own place, first an apartment and then a small house to share with our children, I found the TV to be a mind-numbing distraction. It felt so good to stay focused on sobriety that I spent more time at meetings and just hanging out with people in recovery than I did at home, vegging in front of the tube.

I still feel that way. It's nice to watch a good movie or something educational now and then, and my kids always have something good on, but I'm too busy engaging my brain to pay much attention to it.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, I loved TV when I was drinking! Although, I realized the other day that I don't remember most of what I watched while drinking. That's good and bad . . . good because I can watch again with a sober mind, but bad because TV is a bit of a trigger for me . . . it just seems wrong to sit on that part of the couch in front of the TV without a drink in hand. Needless to say, I have read three books in the past 12 days.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cleaning the basement and working in the yard is a huge trigger for me. Always had a glass of wine on hand and then wondered why it never got finished. Got too tired, pulled all the weeds, but too tired to get rid of them...
Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"If you think drinking was bad...."

Most everything else pales in comparision to drinking.

I'd rather watch TV 24x7 than drink.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

First I DO NOT watch 'Reality Shows' Yuck

My TV is usually on for background noise, lol However, the channels I seem to watch are:

Animal Planet, Discovery Health, Discovery Science, Discovery, National Geographic, The History Channel, TLC and a bit of A&E as I like their 'Intervention', "The Cleaner", and ...........................'DAWG The Bounty Hunter' rofl

I have NEVER been able to just watch TV I always have to be doing something in addition to watching TV

Love and hugs,
Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not big on TV. I watch a few shows every now and again, but I am pretty sure it's not that healthy to be on the computer as much as I am either. I can spend several hours on it, but I have that frame of mind "It's better than smoking crack". and it is.. LOL. But once this weather clears up, I am going to be outside more. Heck, I need to be in the shop making toys, but the rain is bumming me out. LOL
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LOL I love it. That's what books are for! I work at a Half Price Books and have about 50 unread books I've bought and neglected at home and I've started getting through them finally. I never was big on tv either. Screw those "reality" braincell killing shows. My "reality" show would be more along the lines of a horror movie right now, ha. Occasionally I'll watch the ID channel, science channel, or CNN, but that's about it since the L Word ended.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You know Big Brother, the UK version. An old friend's wife used to watch them sleep (they film them sleeping) and wait for one to turn over or move, i kid you not!

I have watched that survivor a couple of times and that one where they have to do scary stuff to stay in the competition, i just find myself wishing for a horrific accident or an act of nature, like a tidal wave to occur so it probably isn't too healthy for me to watch them lol

My favourite tv that i could watch for hours is jerry springer like programs i love them! Maury and Dr Phil crack me up! I reckon Montel should do stand up, he's so funny!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JJB

Firestorm i think the idea of a reality show showing the effect it has on people watching a reality show and their brains degenerating really excellent.
I find it quite difficult to sit still for long enough to watch tv or a film. Do you think this is because i'm still in early stages or could it be the meds reducing concentration capacity?.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I could slowly feel my brain turning to mush, my senses dulled, and when I went to the washroom, I looked like a zombie out of a horror movie.
Sounds just like drinking to me!!! LOL
Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I thank God for the TV!! LOL!!! Sometimes and some days my brain NEEDS to go to the mushy side. Sometimes I need to get out of my head and that boob tube works wonders. Hee hee......
Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mergirl

no cable is sad!!

Watch pbs, elmo and big bird will keep you company