Notices

Those who did rehab - Did you keep a journal?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Those who did rehab - Did you keep a journal?

Did you keep a journal in Rehab? If you did, have you gone back and re-read it? If so, what was your reaction, thoughts, emotions?

It has now been 6 months since I was discharged from my 2 month rehab stay. It was the most difficult time of my life. I think I'll go back and read it to mark the 6 months.

Mark
Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I didn't do rehab....can I still share?!

I started a journal the day after I quit. Wrote in it for about a month....mostly things I learned here. I have gone back and added and read. It is REALLY uplifting for me...it does show how scary early sobriety is...how far I've come...and how I do NOT want to go back.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mark,

I wish I had kept a journal. I was in rehab for 8 days. Insurance didn't think my case warranted a longer stay. I did out patient but that wasn't the same. Most in IOP were failing drug tests and alcohol tests or were forced by courts into it. They seemed to be buying time until they could drink/use again. It kept me out of work and let me talk to some who were not drinking. Anyway I think it can only help to remember how bad it was. I do have this site which I joined after 3 months sober. Good job and hope you get something out of reading it which I'm sure you will.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I didn't do rehab. However, at about 6 weeks into recovery, my sponsor "suggested" that I start Journalling daily. WTF? What was I suppose to write? How could I do that? I didn't have that kind of time. and many more excuses.

She said just start with the day, date, and write about the weather, but write something. Well that has turned into pretty much a daily thing for this Alkie. At the "Back To School" sales I usually buy about 15 of the Spiral Notebooks that are 3-hole punched.

What I found out is that many times what 'I think' I'm thinking is not true. Something happens as the thoughts in my head come down my arm to my hand to that pen or pencil and out onto the paper. No, keeping a journal on my computer is just NOT THE SAME for me. It has something to do with the actually ACTION of WRITING on that piece of paper.

Yes, I still journal. At 25 years sober, I had a lovely 'burning ceremony' and burned the first 20 years of my recovery, Except for the first two notebooks. I put my hopes and dreams in those two and boy did I sell my self short! lol Keep them as a reminder. I have one of the two totes that held them almost full again with another 8 years of journals.

Journalling continues to be a WONDERFUL TOOL for me to stay on track, and yes I rarely miss a day. It is part of my 'daily routine' to keep me 'spiritually fit.'

J M H O

Love and hugs,