Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Do you think it's wise to stay out of relationships in early recovery?

Notices

Do you think it's wise to stay out of relationships in early recovery?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

sorry to hear that rusty.

early relationships involve feelings........and i dont know about you but i had enough feelings to deal with as it was..all new and all intense.

My now wife was very understanding standing.........but boy was i an s...t for a good while..

My amends list was getting longer for a while........sober.

too sponsees i suggest wait..............most dont.......

And a few ended up in deep problems..............my experience anyhow.. if it helps...
Old 05-06-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Do you think it's wise to stay out of relationships in early recovery?"

Yes.

In early recovery we are often getting to know our real selves - this 'new' relationship can require 100% attention.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sweets some good stuff to ponder.

Another reason to hold off on a relationship is we change in sobriety, early sobriety I was all over the place emotionally and mentally, it took time for me to learn who I was, heck even my likes and dislikes in people changed and I changed as a person.

Early sobriety is a huge change in our lifes, why make it tougher by adding outside things into the mix. This not only includes relationships, but jobs, moving, divorces, etc.

Now if something is poison to our recovery then it has to go, but in as easy as possible manner.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Sweets some good stuff to ponder.

Another reason to hold off on a relationship is we change in sobriety, early sobriety I was all over the place emotionally and mentally, it took time for me to learn who I was, heck even my likes and dislikes in people changed and I changed as a person.

Early sobriety is a huge change in our lifes, why make it tougher by adding outside things into the mix. This not only includes relationships, but jobs, moving, divorces, etc.

Now if something is poison to our recovery then it has to go, but in as easy as possible manner.
Tazman!!! I cannot express to you how much I got out of what you just said....I am def all over the place right now...and I see what you're saying about the likes and dislikes in people changing, I am going through that right now...I'm trying to sort out my feelings, reevaluating everything.....I was so used to thinking with the alcohol in me, and when I wasn't drinking (which was for maybe a few hours? lol, I wouldn't even give my sober thoughts a chance to develop, I just ran for the bottle)..It is a big change! You couldn't have said it better!:ghug3
Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Tazman put it so well. I really like that! Especially when it comes to job situations. I had to remove myself from a decent paying job because it kept taking me to the side of town I copped on. It was an endless cycle. I'd be there at 2-3 AM, fixing someone's flat, getting their keys, or jump starting their car, and all I could think about was whether or not they were "holding", and you can tell who the dope boys/girls are and who are not. It's amazing the number of dope dealers who have roadside assistance on their insurance.. And can't do **** for themselves, ya know.. I can see the keys or jump start thing. Usually need two people for it, but can't change your own tire? Come on...
LOL. Anyway, being on the wrong side of town at the wrong hour was playing with fire, so I quit that job and for 30 days, focused on just my recovery, working my "life" around it. Boyfriend, mom, and friends.
And recently, I was offered my roadside job back, but turned it down. I know I want to be clean more than anything, but I still don't want to play with fire.
And man, I could really use the cash.. Ugh! hahaha
Old 05-06-2009, 10:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CrackQuack View Post
Tazman put it so well. I really like that! Especially when it comes to job situations. I had to remove myself from a decent paying job because it kept taking me to the side of town I copped on. It was an endless cycle. I'd be there at 2-3 AM, fixing someone's flat, getting their keys, or jump starting their car, and all I could think about was whether or not they were "holding", and you can tell who the dope boys/girls are and who are not. It's amazing the number of dope dealers who have roadside assistance on their insurance.. And can't do **** for themselves, ya know.. I can see the keys or jump start thing. Usually need two people for it, but can't change your own tire? Come on...
LOL. Anyway, being on the wrong side of town at the wrong hour was playing with fire, so I quit that job and for 30 days, focused on just my recovery, working my "life" around it. Boyfriend, mom, and friends.And recently, I was offered my roadside job back, but turned it down. I know I want to be clean more than anything, but I still don't want to play with fire.
And man, I could really use the cash.. Ugh! hahaha

That's great that you were able to do that...I know I need to do the same...put my sobriety first..I just hate being lonely..I feel very empty if there isn't someone in my life, which is another problem in itself...Not sure if that's a Co-dependency issue, I'm just learning all about it now.....I don't think being in volved with someone is the answer, never has been...I always went to drinking after being disappointed and that's definitely not the answer...Thanks for your input
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Yes, I think new relationships should be avoided in early recovery.

Same for trying to mend relationships shattered under the weight of insobriety.

Big (common) mistake, IMO.

Unless you're in a committed relationship or married when going through recovery, you have no business being with anyone during this time and you should be focused on YOU and your recovery. I think maybe it was Drew Pinsky who said, in the first year of sobriety get a plant and if if does not die in the first year, get a pet for your second year and if after two years the plant and pet are alive and well taken care of, and you're still sober...MAYBE think about getting in a relationship with another human being, lol..
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getr345 View Post
Yes, I think new relationships should be avoided in early recovery.

Same for trying to mend relationships shattered under the weight of insobriety.

Big (common) mistake, IMO.

Unless you're in a committed relationship or married when going through recovery, you have no business being with anyone during this time and you should be focused on YOU and your recovery. I think maybe it was Drew Pinsky who said, in the first year of sobriety get a plant and if if does not die in the first year, get a pet for your second year and if after two years the plant and pet are alive and well taken care of, and you're still sober...MAYBE think about getting in a relationship with another human being, lol..
The the more I am sober...the more I am reevaluating my feelings, and thinking I don't really want anything with this person...I am also hoping that when I find my new (sober) self...I will see a different person than the one who was always drinking...and learn to put a higher value on myself, and when that happens,everything else falls into place...even the quality of people that I will have in my life will be different...Thank you so much for this response...it really made me think :ghug3
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I look at myself today 20 months(?) sober and I am almost a completely different person than I was 2 years ago and it would have taken someone who loved me unconditionally to have gone through the changes with me that I've gone through since stopping drinking. Stopping drinking was like losing a loved one to me, alcohol was my "best friend" (yes I know now it was no friend) and so I had to go through a period similar to grieving which is definitely not a time for new relationships. Just this morning at a business event I ran into a man whom I had very briefly dated while drinking, nothing serious and we had gone our separate ways about 4 yrs ago but had kept casually in touch. A year ago we had gone to dinner together (I was only 6 months sober then) and I remember being very very scared at the time because I was so uncomfortable with my sobriety and I felt inferior; well today I went out of my way to say hello to this man and had a nice conversation--he said he could see right away that I had gained a lot of confidence in the past year and I have. I think to have a a legitimate chance at sobriety you must focus on yourself as much as possible, spend time figuring out why you had the problems in the first place--and it's difficult to make yourself top priority if you're starting a new relationship.

Judy
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I look at myself today 20 months(?) sober and I am almost a completely different person than I was 2 years ago and it would have taken someone who loved me unconditionally to have gone through the changes with me that I've gone through since stopping drinking. Stopping drinking was like losing a loved one to me, alcohol was my "best friend" (yes I know now it was no friend) and so I had to go through a period similar to grieving which is definitely not a time for new relationships. Just this morning at a business event I ran into a man whom I had very briefly dated while drinking, nothing serious and we had gone our separate ways about 4 yrs ago but had kept casually in touch. A year ago we had gone to dinner together (I was only 6 months sober then) and I remember being very very scared at the time because I was so uncomfortable with my sobriety and I felt inferior; well today I went out of my way to say hello to this man and had a nice conversation--he said he could see right away that I had gained a lot of confidence in the past year and I have. I think to have a a legitimate chance at sobriety you must focus on yourself as much as possible, spend time figuring out why you had the problems in the first place--and it's difficult to make yourself top priority if you're starting a new relationship.

Judy
Thanks for your input Judy...I think my choices in men haven't been the best in the past few years, usually people who talk and never ever come through... which is another reason why I shouldn't get involved...I've gotten nothing but hurt 3 times in a row (although I tend to blame everything on myself, I did this wrong, I said that wrong)...I'm still hurting right now about things in the past and things even going on right now in the present...I don't think I'd be able to do it if I wanted too..and honestly I've been so depressed I don't even feel a strong desire to do much of anything right now.

Last edited by Sweets79; 05-06-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

y e s
Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

God bless you & her Rusty. I miss her.