Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

TOPIC: Peek-A-Boo I See You. Come Out And Tell Us Who You Are.

Notices

TOPIC: Peek-A-Boo I See You. Come Out And Tell Us Who You Are.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking TOPIC: Peek-A-Boo I See You. Come Out And Tell Us Who You Are.

Peek - A - Boo I See You.

Come out and tell us who you are.

Don't be afraid.

Now......

Let's see those pearly whites.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon.

Ive been sober for 18 yrs.
of many one days at a time
collected.

Im newly remarried Valentine's
Day. My 2nd Marriage.

25 yrs first time which ended
on a good note.

I got into recovery 8-11-90
and by passed the family
who couldnt keep up with
me.

A good "normie" family,
2 wonderful grown kids who
didnt understand alcoholism
and all its effects.

I love my HP, music,
motorcycles,
tattoos, PGA Golf, Nascar Racing,
Triple Crown Horse Racing, no stress,
laughter, LMN Movies, CSI , NCIS,
freedom of the open road, wind
in my face, birds, flowers, food,
my awesome SR family, smiles,
living life happy joyous and free
and being trusting and honest
in all my affairs.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

OK, I'll bite. lol

I'm Judy, very grateful recovering addict/alcoholic. Began this horrible nightmare the day I found out my Parents were getting a divorce. I got high as a way of trying to hurt them since I was hurting. I was 11 years old.

I soon began doing any drug I could get my hands on. I didn't want to feel anything. I thought my world had ended when my folks split up. My Dad was president of pee wee football and little league baseball, Mom was always the room mother at school and involved in everything we were in too. Our house was the one on the block where all the kids played. We had a swimming pool in the backyard that had more kids in it than water. All of this ended with the divorce.

I first put myself into treatment when I was 18. I bounced in and out of clean time, treatment centers, detox, in patient, outpatient, prison twice, two marriages but in all of this, I was blessed with a beautiful son that I was told by doctors I could never conceive. I tried to work MY Program of recovery. . . which was a nightmare. Never stayed clean too long. Never found peace within because I never worked on myself, I never did the Steps although I did go to Meetings.

Finally in July of 2005, as close to suicide as someone can be, I decided to give it one more try. I have been clean and sober and in recovery since July 25, 2005. Even though I was 43 years of age, I had a lot of growing up to do. Responsibility wasn't something I ever had, honesty was just a word and commitment to anything was a joke. I never trusted anyone, never let anyone close to me.But thanks to working the Steps in AA, finding just the right Sponsor, an IOP Program and most importantly to me, finding a God of my understanding I have been in Recovery since July 25, 2005. (I know I repeat that date alot, but it's when I finally began to live.)

I am the proud Mom of my son, Brandon, who is now 20. He is very anti drugs, alcohol, smoking cigarettes . . . the complete opposite of how I was at his age. Thank God. We've worked through most of the issues that almost caused a complete destruction of our relationship. I recently had to go on Disability due to some chronic medical conditions. After my broken pelvis heals and I have back surgery, I am going to be volunteering at a local center that assists the disabled with a variety of needs.

I am aquiring quite a collection of Recovery related books. I like to read those as well as true crime books. (No, I'm not planning the perfect murder as my ex used to say. lol) I spend a lot of time on my computer, fav tv shows include any kind of shows like Ghost Hunters, I can't wait for the return of The Cleaner and of course I watch true crime shows. I listen to a lot of different types of music, mainly good old classic rock. My fav CD is The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack by SixxAM. All the songs are recovery related. Since I have been in recovery I have had the courage and ambition to try new things. I've taught myself silk flower arranging and have sold quite a few things I've made.

I guess I should end it here. I know I get carried away on most of my replies to threads so I'll spare everyone anymore reading . . . for now. lol

Judy
Old 04-29-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

What an inspirational share Judy. It gave me
chills just reading where u began to what
happened to you and now...look at where
u r today.

Many of us were exactly where alot of u
r today. At the end of our ropes, looking
for anything and everything to ease the
pain we were/are in over different circumstances.

There is hope for all those just starting
out. The proof is in the honesty of what
each one of us shares.

Judy's story is one of inspiration,
encouragement, willingness and selfless-
ness.....to go to any lengths to get
where she is today.

I listened to many just like her when i
first got into recovery after so many
disappointing attempts to stay sober.

It was listening and absorbing what
worked for them and the outcome
of what i wanted more than anything.

One step at a time, one day at a time
and here we r today.

Clean and sober.

Next.....
Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello my name is Linda z. I am a grateful recovering alcoholic celebrating her 50th birthday today. I am happy to say I will enjoy my family today instead of worrying them or making them ashamed of my behavior. When my kids tell me "Happy Birthday" or "I love you" I will remember it. When I go to bed tonight I will remember how I got home. When I wake up in the morning I will be grateful for another sober day. The best gift I could ever receive is tomorrow and another chance to make my family proud of me.

With that I will close with a special thank you to all the A.A.'s that have inspired me along the way.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a wife of a great man and mom of 4 great kids who I love very much. I am 47 and I have always drank, especially in college, but stopped over the several years I was having kids. I was a stay-at-home mom for 12 years and at some point in there I started to have a glass of wine every once in awhile, then it became a glass every night, then half a bottle, etc...it escalated pretty slowly until all of a sudden I am drinking a bottle (or more) every night. I went back to work part time 4 years ago and with the stress of work, cleaning house, making sure homework was done, driving kids to extracurricular events, paying bills, etc. I almost didn't want to come home and deal with it, so of course drink some wine and feel better. It had gotten to the point where it was really affecting my life badly and knew I needed to stop. I am still in the early stages, but guess what? I wasn't dealing with anything or getting anything done because I was under the influence which just made the stress worse. It is a vicious cycle and I needed to get out of it.

It is really just a relief to be done with it. I hope I can keep it up. I am having to replace that evening alcohol with something else, so I am walking when I get home from work before the evening starts which helps to relieve the stress and get perspective on things. I also have a 1/2 hour drive to and from work so I have been listening to books on tape which really has been great.

I have even looked into some AA meetings, but haven't had the courage to go.

Thanks Sharon for the thread.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubsfriend View Post
Hello my name is Linda z. I am a grateful recovering alcoholic celebrating her 50th birthday today. I am happy to say I will enjoy my family today instead of worrying them or making them ashamed of my behavior. When my kids tell me "Happy Birthday" or "I love you" I will remember it. When I go to bed tonight I will remember how I got home. When I wake up in the morning I will be grateful for another sober day. The best gift I could ever receive is tomorrow and another chance to make my family proud of me.

With that I will close with a special thank you to all the A.A.'s that have inspired me along the way.
Happy birthday, Linda! :day2
Old 04-29-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hello, I am Martin P. and I am a grateful recovered alcoholic, if I have a bad day I could become a recovering alcoholic, but for today I have a reprieve from my alcoholism by maintaining my spiritual condition.

I had my first drink at about 11 or so, my alcoholism progressed over the years until I had no choice but to drink, the last 5 years of my drinking I did not draw a sober breath.

My wife and kids were scared of me and ashamed of me as well. My kids would get home from school and go straight to thier rooms if I was around.

What can I say, I was no longer a father nor a husband, I was rapidly becoming a lousy employee and was of no use to anyone, not even myself.

I finally at the age of 52 surrendered and went into detox and then to AA to stay sober.

Today at the age of 55 I am once again a real father, a real husband, a real grandparent and a good employee. I am useful to my family and to other alcoholics as well as those I can help. Oh yea and I am free!!! Free of alcohol and from self!

This is all thanks to my HP, AA, & my continued sobriety.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm Judy I started drinking heavily at 17 and doing drugs whenever the opportunity would arise. I was raised by an alcoholic father and an emotionally distant mother, my father verbally and sexually abused me for years. I've been married twice (5 years and 6 years) and rarely drank during either of my marriages but when the marriages ended, primarily because I pushed them away, I didn't waste any time getting back to drinking and "casual" drug use. My downfall began in 1995 and ended 8-27-07 with a serious suicide attempt by a prescription drug overdose (of course I was drunk), based on the amount of pills I took I should have died, I live alone and no one was looking for me but God woke me up through the Holy Spirit, I have no doubt about that (and I'm not really even a regular church going person). After spending a week in the hospital with a hole in my liver I accepted that I can not drink and will not ever again.

I have a 28 yr old daughter who has no interest in drinking, she has a great career, good husband, and an adorable 3 yr old son and she once again trusts me and believes I will stay sober.

I live with my little Pekingnese and we love to take walks and nap..., I garden, decorate, and like the other Judy I love true crime-TV & Books, I find the criminal mind fascinating. I have a good job, a nice home, and I am peace and feel very blessed.

Happy Birthday Linda
Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.. My name is Kendra and I'm a ACoA (mom) and I'm finding that CoDA issues are the root of most of my problems. I have been AROUND the 12 steps and recovery since I was 17. I will be 38 this year. I got to know my mother through the rooms of AA. She has 20 something years now and is one of my best friends. I'm a mother of a 21 year old who now has two sons of his own. WOW, I'm a grandma....
My drug of choice is anything outside of self that will change the way I feel. It usually starts with a man. (I just know I will find the one that will make me truly happy) :rotfxko
Then when that does NOT work, I will buy stuff that I can't afford, get a scrip for benzos, so on and so forth... Instead of just working the steps on a REGULAR basis. I all to often get to a place where I think I'm recovered from whatever the issue was at THAT time in my life and wonder off to self will. Hummmm, but I take me with me.... LOL
I'm dealing with some health issues that has slowed my life way down and has forced or should I say, given me a chance to truly look within. I have a lot of self healing time right now...
One of my treatment meds cause mood swings, depression, and flu like systems. I have to really pay extra attention to this because when I'm going through it... it just feels soooooo real. I can even look at my post the day of or the day after treatment and see how whacked the treatment has made me feel... On top of everything else I'm looking at with my life... Did I say I'm working on another 4th step??? And quit smoking... Hey, I'm still a ALL or NOTHING kinda girl but I'm working on it.

This site has truly been a life saver for me and I look forward to making life long online friendships.... :ghug2
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
OK, I'll bite. lol

I'm Judy, very grateful recovering addict/alcoholic. Began this horrible nightmare the day I found out my Parents were getting a divorce. I got high as a way of trying to hurt them since I was hurting. I was 11 years old.

I soon began doing any drug I could get my hands on. I didn't want to feel anything. I thought my world had ended when my folks split up. My Dad was president of pee wee football and little league baseball, Mom was always the room mother at school and involved in everything we were in too. Our house was the one on the block where all the kids played. We had a swimming pool in the backyard that had more kids in it than water. All of this ended with the divorce.

I first put myself into treatment when I was 18. I bounced in and out of clean time, treatment centers, detox, in patient, outpatient, prison twice, two marriages but in all of this, I was blessed with a beautiful son that I was told by doctors I could never conceive. I tried to work MY Program of recovery. . . which was a nightmare. Never stayed clean too long. Never found peace within because I never worked on myself, I never did the Steps although I did go to Meetings.

Finally in July of 2005, as close to suicide as someone can be, I decided to give it one more try. I have been clean and sober and in recovery since July 25, 2005. Even though I was 43 years of age, I had a lot of growing up to do. Responsibility wasn't something I ever had, honesty was just a word and commitment to anything was a joke. I never trusted anyone, never let anyone close to me.But thanks to working the Steps in AA, finding just the right Sponsor, an IOP Program and most importantly to me, finding a God of my understanding I have been in Recovery since July 25, 2005. (I know I repeat that date alot, but it's when I finally began to live.)

I am the proud Mom of my son, Brandon, who is now 20. He is very anti drugs, alcohol, smoking cigarettes . . . the complete opposite of how I was at his age. Thank God. We've worked through most of the issues that almost caused a complete destruction of our relationship. I recently had to go on Disability due to some chronic medical conditions. After my broken pelvis heals and I have back surgery, I am going to be volunteering at a local center that assists the disabled with a variety of needs.

I am aquiring quite a collection of Recovery related books. I like to read those as well as true crime books. (No, I'm not planning the perfect murder as my ex used to say. lol) I spend a lot of time on my computer, fav tv shows include any kind of shows like Ghost Hunters, I can't wait for the return of The Cleaner and of course I watch true crime shows. I listen to a lot of different types of music, mainly good old classic rock. My fav CD is The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack by SixxAM. All the songs are recovery related. Since I have been in recovery I have had the courage and ambition to try new things. I've taught myself silk flower arranging and have sold quite a few things I've made.

I guess I should end it here. I know I get carried away on most of my replies to threads so I'll spare everyone anymore reading . . . for now. lol

Judy
Sixx AM rocks!!!we have talked about that..... I will give my bio on a different post...too bad Nikki stopped that project. Much Love to you Serenity- dub
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ok- here goes- nice topic- sort of

my name is Dan. I will try to keep this is chronological order, will start with the substance abuse history:
one note- I am an alcoholic and didnt drink until around 20ish- never liked alcohol that much (which cracks me up- thats what I am struggling with now), just made me tired and frankly didnt like it- just pot and other drugs like coke, mda, some H, pretty much it. mostly coke- actually a whole lot I was knocking out an 8 every 3 days or so, including base for around 6ish years. Havent touched it in i guess around 15 years..and dont miss it a bit. what a bad drug. never IV'd anything. I was around older musicians all the time early in my life and well- there you have it. Maybe too much info...

I am (or was) a musician- played music professionally (touring, making bank- all over the place) since I was 15- stopped touring around 28 years old maybe? I still play some - that was weird, and definitely contributed to my drug use-....well anyway- thats what happened.

Ok the positive stuff mostly - not in order by the way- just thinking....
I love music
I love my dogs
I love my family- that is actually first on the list....but like I said- not in order.
I like cars and my Harley
I have raced motocross up until 2006ish- so did my daughters who really did well(when by the way- used to crack me up when they would kick little boys butts and they would take their helmet off and shake their hair- pissed the boys off (you cant tell a girl in full mx gear)- hehehe- they both are beauties- and i obviously love them.
I have raced/road bicyles since 2006- got old....I love bicycles. Quit around a year ago when I got into drinking too much- awesome right. thats why I am here.
Trying to quit drinking now- but since my office shut down last month have been home....drinking. However I got a call this morning and starting work again soon! So good to go.

well thats all i can think of. thats me!
much love-
dub
Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

lalalala Happy Birthday To You Linda.
Health, Happiness and a sleigh full of
presents
Enjoy Your Day
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As you read each post from start to
finish, you begin to know the person
behind the screen name or icon picture.

You will also notice that each person
is real. A kind caring person instead
of the quick drawn conclusion we
might have of them.

We may have thought they we jerks
or "full of it" and yet they are just as
kind and warm hearted as the rest of
us.

We all start off in denial and wear mask
so know one would really knows who we
are. Or how much pain we really are in.
In time as the peels or layers begin to
fall away with help from a program then
the true genuine person is revealed.

SR has a great FELLOWSHIP of awesome
individuals and we can all learn from
each other how to stay clean and
sober a day at a time AND......

have fun doing it. YES..!

I would never have know it was Dan
behind dedubya who rides a Harley.

Or those with wonderful loving familys.
Kid we r proud of.

AWESOME post SR..!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, it's time to give people a different name to call me other than CrackQuack. LOL.
Hi folks. I am Christena, and I am an addict. I am almost 3 months clean. I can smell May 3rd coming. LOL. My drug of choice is crack cocaine.
I am twice married and divorced. I am in a relationship with a man who shares my OTHER addiction. CARS. He is into classics, all older models. He has quite a "stable" full of cars, all but two are older than me. WAY older. I am 34. LOL. One of his cars has been in his family since brand new, 1955. WOW.
Anyway, I am a cleaning lady by night. I work only about 12 hours a week at that job. I have a second job. A small, part time business making and selling toys for birds. I work when I want to on that one.
I have two children. One 18 year old son, who lives with his father in Alaska. One 13 year old son who, until recently, lives with his father nearby here in Ohio. I was on supervised visits with him, during active addiction. Now I can take him places and it's almost back to normal joint custody. My new boyfriend helped with that. LOL. He's clean as a whistle. NO record of any kind. Not even a speeding ticket (he does have one parking ticket from the EARLY 1990's!). So my ex husband cannot find fault with him and knows he's safe for my child to be around. YEAH! He also knows I am now safe too! Long as I stay clean.
It's a great day to be clean!
I am deep in financial debt from my active addiction. I've lost 4 of my vehicles and my 20 foot enclosed trailer. I've lost a lot of respect and trust. It's very difficult, sometimes, to deal with. But I am dealing with it and I am not using. THAT, right now, is the most important part, to me. There may be difficult parts, but the good things are that I've got more freedom and time with my son, I am clean, and a couple bucks in my pocket.
I am a former General Motors Employee. I had 12 1/2 years seniority when I took the buyout in 2006. Most of that money, thankfully, went to better things than crack, but about 1/3 of it made it down that rat hole.
I spent the better part of 2 years, smoking crack. Right now, I could not imagine I even did that. Wasting so much time with a piece of rock that did nothing GOOD for me. Ugh. I now wake up and notice the weather. I notice the trees. The stars. MY GOD they are beautiful.
I am a night creature by habit. Never liked first shift and second shifters don't have much of a life. But 3rd shift, I get to spend the time looking at the moon and stars. Summer nights are the best, and I miss them. I can hardly wait to see and feel them again.
I'll get up in the morning, if I have to. LOL.
I was afraid of many many things, my first few months in recovery. I think I was afraid of a few things when I finally woke up and stayed straight, but now I am ready to try things, like going to the meeting behind the place I used to cop. I might take a bird with me. Just for companionship. LOLOL
I have three birds. Two Parrotlets. They are the smallest parrot in capivity. About 3-4 inches long. With tail. LOL. And one Meyer's Parrot. They are kind of like Senegal Parrots, and are actually in the same family as Senegal Parrots, called Poicephalus Parrots (lot of parrots in this family actually). My Parrotlets are named Princess BlueBird (she's blue, go figure) and Loro (he's green). My Meyer's is named Miss Maggie Magpie. I call her that just because it sounds cute, but we call her Maggie for short.
I lost my father, in 2004, to Suicide. He was a recovering alcoholic with Bipolar, Schizophrenia, and Diabetes. My mother is still living. She has Bipolar. I lost one uncle to Suicide, while he was in active addiction to cocaine. My other uncle is a recovering Heroin addict who has AIDS. He still smokes pot, but if Ohio had legal scripts for it, he'd have been one to have it anyway. I am just glad he's off the heroin. My aunt admitted to being addicted to pills, but stole 1500 bucks off my grandmother. I think she may be addicted to something else too. She is still an active addict.
I have one sister. She has Down's Syndrome. She lives in a home as my Mother cannot care for her at home, and neither can I. I used to be able to, and maybe one day I can again, but my sis seems very happy to be where she is. She says she likes it a lot. We visit from time to time. They do a great job caring for her. Giving her activities and even a job to do.
My favorite activities include playing on the computer, taking walks, going on Sunday drives, and drag racing. Oh, and I love to tinker with cars. I don't always get it right, but I know more than most women do.
I hope to keep adding to that list as I find new things to do (like being on the back on my boyfriend's Harley, OOOOO yeah!), but I am so happy to have been able to remove crack from that list! WOOT.
I have two best friends. One is my best girlfriend. We met at church, when we were 8 years old. We're 6 months apart, birthday wise. We grew up together and I really have no idea what I would do without her. She's a beautiful person, inside and out. The best kind of person on this earth. We NEED more people like her.
The second is my best guy friend. He and I used to be in a relationship, but when we ended that, we became best friends instead. It works out really well this way. He's tried several relationships after me, them working out poorly and the one I tried after him, worked out very poorly. He introduced me to the guy, and still feels bad about that today. He didn't know his friend was using crack, meth, and heroin. Oh well.. I try to tell him it's not his fault, but I know I would feel the same if the roles were reversed.. Anyway, he's still looking, and I found said fellow car addict.
I am long winded. I really should write a book. I bet it would be a best seller. Nothing like combining addiction and all those experiences with everything I have seen/done/heard as a General Motors employee... what a book!!hahahahaha
Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Each time we share our experiences, strengths
and hopes with others, there's something in it
that gives another hope for recovery.

It gives them hope and keeps us clean and sober.

AND....

It allows us to get to know other fellow recoverying
addicts that are traveling the same road of
recovery as us.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If your new and would like to pop
in and share a little bit about u or
just to say hello.....please dont
hesitate. We love meeting new
folks here in SR.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello I'm Cliff and an alcoholic! I first got drunk when i was about 11, i sneaked drinks at a party my parents were at! I then got drunk again at 14 on my fathers whisky and i woke up praying that what i remembered was not true and i had not been sick everywhere and put to bed, i rolled over the bed and saw the bucket there! I then got to 16 and my mother bought me 3 beers from a liquor store, it made me feel incredible!

And it all went downhill from there! I have been battling booze for the last 20 years, i am 38 next month and it's progressively got worse to the point now that i am having blackouts!

I was, and am, so determined to make this year the one where i find a solution for sobriety that i have a big tattoo on my big belly reading PROGRESS 09! I will get proper sober this year as i am not having that on my belly for the rest of my life with people asking the significance of it, me relating the story and them asking so did you get sober...and me answering no!?!

I am booked into 12 step rehab to start on the 10th May for 28 days and may stay for a couple of months...

I live in Barcelona at the moment, although rehab is in Seville and am moving next week. I have a beautiful cat called Trixie who i found last year dodging cars in a busy street!

I am single, have no kids, and have never been married...yep i'm that selfish lol Although i have been engaged twice, one time for 5 years...i still don't understand how i got away with being engaged for 5 years and never being forced to make a date? Lucky it never happened i guess in hindsight!

I don't get on with any of my family but have 3 best friends and a handful of other friends who are top people. I always make new friends but tend to keep people at a distance, my best friends are just people who i can't get rid of i guess so i am blessed to have them!

I smoke like a chimney and quit everyday, most days crushing up the pack of fags and then buying more the next morning. I am also a gambler which means i don't keep money so have been back to square one at least once a year for the last 7 years financially, it keeps me busy hehe although at some point i would like to actually buy a house and have some stuff in it i actually care about!

I want to live a good and honest life, and have a few people at my funeral who can say hand on heart that cliff was a top guy and for that to be true and not just a perception!

I love SR, when i was not drinking for 5 months it was a support and since i have been back out there it has been a lifeline for me!

That's me folks:-)

ps Happy Birthday Linda
Old 05-01-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

OK, I'll 'fess up. But before I do I have to ask Eclipse about being afraid of going to an AA meeting. Hey, nobody's going to beat you or anything. What's to be afraid of? Go to a meeting and see for yourself. You'll thank me for this.

Anyway, my name is obviously Joe and I obviously live in Chesapeake Va. I was a Navy pilot for 21 years, then bought a restaurant after I retired. I had the restaurant for 17 years and now I've downsized to being a cook for a private firm.

I won't bore you with a drunkalog. I started drinking as a college freshman and never looked back. The rest of the story is the natural progression every alcoholic goes through. I first got sober in 1988 by going through a rrehab program (to get my wife off my back, which is not a good reason to go through ) and stayed sober for 10 years. Without AA, I might add. Being in the restaurant business left me with no free time. My wife didn't like me as an alcoholic and liked me even less when I got sober. So divorce ended that relationship.

Then someone I loved dearly died suddenly and to handle the grief I resumed drinking. I was in and out of sobriety for several years and began attending AA meetings about 6
years ago. I had a drink in the car when I went to meetings. I again got married and that one lasted 6 months. I have poor taste in selecting women, I guess. That is not to disparage my ex's, but rather to indicate my poor judgement in in thinking that the relationships were possible. Today I get along very well with both women. Go figure.

I sold the restaurant and with nothing better to do I sat around and drank. I would put a rocks glass on the counter when I got up in the morning and fill it with vodka splashed with a little orange juice. I had to sip from the glass on the counter as my hands shook so badly that I couldn't hold the glass. A normal day was at least 1.75 liters of Vodka.

Three years ago I decided that enough was enough and went back into rehab. This time I did it for me. I've been sober since. I go to AA meetings 5 times a week and act as sponsor for several guys. Helping others is what made the big difference in my life and is what helps me to stay sober today. I also read just about everything Google has to offer on Alcoholism. I guess it's the Navy training of knowing your enemy.

I have three great adult daughters, one of whom is in the program, and one really great grandson, I live alone with my whacko Lorikeet and raise bonsai plants to help teach me patience and serenity. I ran across this web site by accident, but I think it's great. And that, folks, is enough of my story. I will keep on offering advice to other members of the group based on my own experience. I hope it helps.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Well I guess I'm next.
This has been a long time coming, been putting it off but as they say when God puts an opportunity in front of you take it.
My name is Donna and I am an alcoholic and drug addict. I am 54 yrs old and separated from my husband of 25 yrs. I have 2 children, daughter 20 & a son 22. I come from a large family (6 kids) my Mother was an alcoholic who committed suicide at the age of 29 yrs. I had come home from school and found her. I swore I would never be like that having dealt with her trying to kill herself many times. For some reason, I was always the one who would find her. My father (no longer alive) was a very abusive man. I tell you this about my mom because it becomes my story at the end of my addiction. Anyway enough of this family stuff. Even though I swore I would never be like my mom I started drinking right after her death. I was 15 years old and never fit in anywhere but drinking I became one of the cool people. I was also at this point addicted to sex, speed, LSD, & pot. Not too many years later I found Seconals, Tuinals, qualuades & then Coke. I first went into rehab in 1986. I stayed sober for 15 years, had been going to AA but after 12 years I stopped going to AA. I do thank God I was sober for my children growing up and I was totally involved in their sports and school. My husband started his own business in 1995 and I worked completely for him, taking care of the entire business from the inside. I picked up alcohol again about 2001/2002. I have herniated discs in lower back & neck and other problems with my back. Long story short, I started with benzo's & opiates not to get high with in the beginning but my addiction took over big time. In 2005 my husband was caught cheating on me. My drug use went totally out of control, I thought my life was over. I didn't want to be inside me. I hated Donna. Getting back to my Mom committing suicide, on September 24, 2008 my daughter found me, I had OD'ed on a mixture of 76 pills. When rushed to hospital she was told I would have been dead in 5 minutes had she not found me. Talk about coming complete circle, huh. I was on suicide watch 24/7 for 1 week. I knew I didn't want to die and leave my kids without a mom but I believe that deep down I just wanted to end the pain of what I had become. I am today sober 7 months and I thank God every day for holding me till my daughter found me. You see I do believe that he held me keeping me alive so my daughter wouldn't have to go through what I had gone through. I am totally involved in AA, have a sponsor, have committments in my 2 home groups, good friends in AA,& working on Steps. I go to 2 mtgs a day, 7 days a week. I am doing all the things I didn't do the first time around. My sobriety is the most important thing in my life today. I am unemployed since I left my husbands business over a year ago. I feel that my unemployment is so that I can work on my recovery. But I do need a job. I love R&B music & oldies, am on the computer quite a bit, I love the beach and wishing on stars at night. My favorite author is John Sanford (all Prey books) and Patricia Cromwell. I also love Og Mandino's book (The Greatest Miracle in the World) I have 2 dogs, a Pomeranium (Gigi) and a Yorkie (Jazy). I am so grateful today that my kids are healthy adults who I am very proud of. That they have forgiven me and most of all love me. I am one of the lucky ones who made it back into the rooms by God's grace.