Notices

Made it through the wedding

Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through the wedding

Hello All,

This past weekend I attended the wedding of a very close friend - and long-time drinking buddy - and made it through sober. Here's what helped:

1) I called the friend a month before the wedding and told him I had quit drinking and did not want to drink at his wedding. (He was understanding and said HE would also not be drinking due to fears of how he would behave at his own wedding). I did see him have a couple of drinks, but he did not appear inebriated.

2) Informed sober friends I would be attending the wedding, did not want to drink, and to expect a phone call (called 2 sober friends during reception).

3) Prayed before ceremony for Higher Power to give me the strength to get through the day sober.

4) Agreed with myself that I would leave, regardless of who it may insult, if I felt tempted to drink OR if anyone badgered me to drink (They did not).

I actually and honestly felt more sociable sober than I usually do when I'm drinking. I DANCED! (usually too self-conscious even when drinking). AND exchanged email address with a nice lady I met at the wedding.

So it turned out well. I don't want to challenge myself like that often at this stage of my sobriety (56 days), but I really wanted to attend this event for my friend and I'm glad I did and very thankful I maintained my sobriety throughout festivities.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks. For me, right now.... its day 16. I need the devils that are in the details. thanks again for discussing tactics. Im scared about situations exactly like that. So far, im in delay mode... "im not drinking today, but this weekend im going to get drunk".... then delaying again and again. this seems to work, however ive been hiding out from friends and social situations since i began. im scared about sabotaging myself or getting a case of the **** its... thanks again.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you enjoyed the sober weekend...
Good planning
Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Antone congrats on a well planned sobriety #1 plan. A well laid out plan for one in early sobriety.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dingus3 View Post
thanks. For me, right now.... its day 16. I need the devils that are in the details. thanks again for discussing tactics. Im scared about situations exactly like that. So far, im in delay mode... "im not drinking today, but this weekend im going to get drunk".... then delaying again and again. this seems to work, however ive been hiding out from friends and social situations since i began. im scared about sabotaging myself or getting a case of the **** its... thanks again.
You're welcome and thanks for your comments. If hiding out is what it takes than that's it. I felt a deep responsibility to attend this event. I'm glad I did, but I didn't take it lightly at all. No question it would have been better to stay home than to lose my sobriety.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done,my son's wedding is in August and I'll be just fine,too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Should invite Mel Gibson?