Notices

Remembering Columbine

Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remembering Columbine

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of the Columbine massacre. I can still remember what I was doing that day when I first got word. I was picking my kids up from pre-school and kindergarten., and one of my neighbors ran up to me and said there had been a shooting at Columbine. In my mind I was thinking that a kid pulled a gun and shot it in the air or something of that nature. (Before that day I never would have imagined that such a terrible thing was even possible).

As I drove toward home I began seeing helicopters overhead, basically right above my home. Bowels Ave which backed up to my home was closed to allow for emergency personnel to make their way to the school which is on the corner of Pierce and Bowles basically. Everyone in our community stopped what they were doing and watch the TV and waited.

We waited by the phone for our friend Coni Sanders to call from Leawood elementary school where all the families were that had not yet been reunited with family members. Finally we got the call from Coni! It was her dad, Dave Sanders (hero) who bled to death waiting for help.

I can remember going to the memorial and how the sheer terror and sadness could be felt in the air. We were like zombies walking around in shock. How could something like this happen in our beautiful little part of the world? How could so many lives be changed forever?

Thank you for listening this morning... I really needed to get that out, and could probably keep writing all day on the aftermath of it all, but I will stop here.

I often here that our country was forever changed on 9-11, Littleton Colorado was changed forever on April 20, 1999. :ghug

I plan on giving all my family members an extra hug today, holding them all a little longer, and pray for this day the Lord has given us all. Life is precious and all we have is today.

Thanks for listening.
God Bless You All,
Suzette
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder, Suz Though time heals wounds, I think it's a good idea to never forget.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I would never have imagined such a thing could happen in school either.
That really changed alot for alot of people around the nation.
Kids in Albany which is right up the road have to go through metal detectors to enter the school every morning. Random searches and on campus police patrols. It is crazy.
The worst things we ever di was skip class or get in little fist fights.

Thanks for the reminder Suz.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THese events shock me but no longer surprise me. We live in a society that glorifies violence and revenge and bullying so it's no surprise that these horrible things happen. We are a 'civilized' society that's uncivilized. I am afraid for our future.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This was written by brothers who attended Columbine, I can still see them performing it at the memorial.

YouTube - Columbine, Friend of Mine
Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A major tragedy, I also couldnt think of that happening in my high school, but you never know. At least columbine alerted the world to the possiblity so that schools/parents/councillors could be aware of the danger.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I graduated from Columbine, tho a handful of years before the shootings. My brother escaped with his life, and the clothes on his back.. that was enough.

The FBI still follows up with him.

So tragic, this area has never ever been the same, I don't know that I'll drive up by there today.. media is always crazy this time of year.

When I went to my brother's graduation that year, you couldn't even hear what anyone was saying because of how many helicopters there were. I know it's important for 'news', but it's the only thing that really sticks out for me, about that day.. that and the reporters/vultures swooping in as soon as the ceremony ended.

The families have shown amazing resilience, as has this community.. but boy it stings like it was yesterday.

Always Remember.. Forever in Our Hearts.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I often here that our country was forever changed on 9-11, Littleton Colorado was changed forever on April 20, 1999.
It was becaues we let it. All I have to say to Harris and Klebold is "Mission Acomplished" The country is tiptoeing on eggshells thanks to those two and we probably always will be. More American Freedom has been lost. Good job guys!
The best thing we could ever do is to dismiss this and get on with life. Otherwise, they've done what they set out to do. They wanted people to be afraid of them.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Flutter)))

I was thinking of going up to the memorial hill today as well, and like you am not sure if I will be able to bring myself to go. The media, especially the helicopters are panic producing for me.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Thanks for posting this. That was a great video.

I remember Columbine like it was yesterday and I just
watched it on the news all day. I can't even imagine,
I think it was one even that changed our nation.

Thinking of you and everyone affected today..

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
It was becaues we let it. All I have to say to Harris and Klebold is "Mission Acomplished" The country is tiptoeing on eggshells thanks to those two and we probably always will be. More American Freedom has been lost. Good job guys!
The best thing we could ever do is to dismiss this and get on with life. Otherwise, they've done what they set out to do. They wanted people to be afraid of them.
I think we have moved on with our lives; however I myself cannot dismiss it. It was an event that robbed the United States of its innocents. We need to always remember Columbine, to become complacent could and would lead to another tragedy.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
Depends on how you look at it.
Hopefully it taught people to be more kind, and the schools to take a look
at the problems it has instead of turning a blind eye.
Lessons to be learned in everything that happens, not just freedom lost.

If we just dismiss it without learning from it, then many lives we lossed
for nothing.

I know I talked to all the high school kids I knew at the time,
a lot of them had much to say about bullying, pressure, etc.

JMOOO......
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
(((Flutter)))

I was thinking of going up to the memorial hill today as well, and like you am not sure if I will be able to bring myself to go. The media, especially the helicopters are panic producing for me.
I went a few weeks ago.. it's much better without a spotlight. My brother is attending a lunch for the students who were at school that day, so I know even just the school is going to be completely packed and surrounded by media, not to mention the memorial. We went to Red Robin yesterday and there were already cops EVERYwhere. geesh.

This is my (our) community, it doesn't require a visit.

take it easy today! I'm staying in.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I see a School locked down here because someone didn't sign in at the office and another one locked down because a .22 bullet fell out of a students backpack that he had taken camping with him All I see is mass hysteria. These schools were Locked Down. Not just the janitor asking someone what they were doing there. We all had guns in our gun racks in our trucks while they were parked at school.
Today I see students suspended for drawing pictures of exploding schools. I see Young Marines expelled for having dummy drill guns in their trunk. Nothing has changed except for the sick way we think.
It's insanity and nothing but. Harris and Klebold have won.
Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Another Loveland school locked down last year because some kid bought a BB gun at a garage sale and was walking home with it.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post

I often here that our country was forever changed on 9-11, Littleton Colorado was changed forever on April 20, 1999. :ghug

I plan on giving all my family members an extra hug today, holding them all a little longer, and pray for this day the Lord has given us all. Life is precious and all we have is today.

Thanks for listening.
God Bless You All,
Suzette
Sorry your thread got off track here..
Back to why you started it.
I hope you have a good day.
Take extra good care of yourself today.
Lots of Love and Light your way....
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pinkcuda- When it comes to our children and their safety all the precautionary measures you have listed above seem resonable to me. The highschool my kids attend in Littleton went on lock down last year because there was a student seen with a gun in the parking lot. Although it turned out to be an airsoft or bb gun, I think the school administration locking down the school was the only choice. What if it had been a real gun and no one reported it?

I wish we still lived in a country where kids were safe in school, and church members could know they are safe on Sundays. I wish we could leave all our doors unlocked and trust strangers...

Fact is this country has changed and to go along pretending everthing is coming up roses is a road leading to disaster. IMO

I put my faith in the Lord each and everyday. The lord gives people free will and when evil is allowed to creep in we as citizens need to step up and help to fight evil.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I still remember the horror of that day. I have never forgotten it and I just feel sick about all those lost lives.

They are in my prayers today.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is too weird. The schools around the country must be on ultra high alert today. My twin daughters' middle school had a lock down today because there was a car driving around out in the parking lot. A bunch of cop cars showed up and chased some guy out into the woods. Apparently they caught him, but I am very anxious to find out what happened and why this guy took off running--and I'm in Washington state--so I am guessing lots of schools have high alert today.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For one awful moment on sky news today i thought it was all happening again..

Then i realized it was the tenth anniversary.

My thought and prayers are with thoses affected by this tragic robbery of life

Im glad that its in the news and remembered.

To many times tragic events like this are forgotten....like hungerford.

I remember the day........2 miles from my mothers...visited by evil.

God be with you..........trucker.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is a sad day for those who lost their lives and were injured. It also brings back many memories of the tragedy around here on April 16, 2007...the Virginia Tech shooting with 33 killed. Definitely a couple of sad days back to back. My love and prayers go out to all the friends and families. And prayers for myself being that one of my close high school friends was killed at Virginia Tech and another was injured. Much love and prayers for all.

Wes