Notices

I am delusional

Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am delusional

After a relatively short 45 days of sobriety, I feel some insights into myself are starting to deepen. I realized today during meditation that my toughest addiction is not to alcohol, sugar, or sex. My toughest addiction is to WORRY, and it has been all my life. I inherited the worry disease from my mother, who fell into deep addiction complete with red shaking, wringing hands. As worry addicts we believe that we can protect ourselves by imagining everything that can go wrong in any particular situation and as such be ready for it. It doesn't work. CHRONIC WORRY LEADS TO A DELUSIONAL EXISTENCE OF AN EMOTIONAL LIFE BASED ON EVENTS WHICH HAVE NOT HAPPENED! Like the empty promises of alcohol we actually are robbed of the openness and surrender to Higher Power which is our true protection. Today I admit my powerlessness over worrying and acknowledge that my life has become unmanageable.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that Antone. Have you ever heard of Emotions Anonymous? I belong to online EA group and it is very helpful in learning to deal with different emotions. Take care.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too have found myself to have been too worried as I examine my life and I've been working with a fair amount of success to overcome this problem.

Negative thoughts attract negative results
Worry is negative
Positive thoughts attract positive results

You may want to do a little research and find something that helps you move in the general direction of positive thinking. The kind of thinking that has caused you to post this thread is a very good step.

Don't be hard on yourself for not being able to change your thought patterns overnight. This too is a one day at a time journey.

You're headed in the right direction.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adore79 View Post
Thanks for sharing that Antone. Have you ever heard of Emotions Anonymous? I belong to online EA group and it is very helpful in learning to deal with different emotions. Take care.
Yes, I've heard of it, but never really looked into it. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Like the empty promises of alcohol we actually are robbed of the openness and surrender to Higher Power which is our true protection.
Amen Antone, trust, faith and letting go with both hands. It's a different way of life.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
Amen Antone, trust, faith and letting go with both hands. It's a different way of life.
It's funny, for many years I've done meditation and was part of another 12-step fellowship. Never really thought of myself as alcoholic until it became an issue in the past 2 or 3 years. But since I've made the commitment - one day at a time - to let go of drinking for this lifetime, new insights have blossomed. One of them is seeing how I HAVEN'T turned things over and getting a more clear idea of just what that means on a moment to moment basis. It's just so strange to see I haven't actually done it to a very deep degree. But I'm also seeing the liberation that would go along with it. A liberation I've deeply thirsted for my whole life.