Notices

Alcohol References in Music

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Songs bother me too, I'm not sure why but alot of songs remind me of a certain time in my life when drinking/drugging was fun.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am glad you brought this up. I think about it alot. Country, Pop, and rap are the worst. & thats about all I listen too.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Mastermind1987 View Post
Songs bother me too, I'm not sure why but alot of songs remind me of a certain time in my life when drinking/drugging was fun.
Nothing wrong with thinking back to 'fun' times in life. It was fun, cherish the memories. But remember that those times were long ago, and much like playing on the playground as a kid, we aren't gonna go back and do that again.

Bring the drinking/drugging scenario in your mind all of the way up to the present ('play the tape all of the way through'), remember when using drinking/drugging stopped being fun, and realize we can't go back in time.

I use music as a means of therapy, and it can be a powerful recovery tool once we consciously realize that we are listening to the music in the HERE & NOW... not the past. It is April 15, 2009 right now.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
where the light is

I saw Nickelback in concert last week. They played a song about the sheer bliss of binge drinking and pot smoking. The singer introduced the song by talking about those great mornings when you just gotta crack open another beer and keep drinking for 2 or 3 days. Fun stuff!

"You better hang on if you're tagging along
'Cause we'll be doing this till six in the morning
Nothing wrong with going all night long
Tough to put the brakes on doesn't matter when you got to
Get up, go out
Me and all my friends
Drink up, fall down
Then we'll do it all again..."

And on the massive screen behind the band? Videos of people in bars having a most excellent time!

Yeah, I was having those thoughts..."man that used to be fun, those three day benders, sure would be nice if I could do it again..."

But then as the song was winding down, my wife elbowed me in the ribs and said (in reference to 3 day benders) "Hey!...just like you!" And I replied "Yeah...that's why I'm in AA."

That and the hammered middle-aged man in front of me making a complete ass of himself was enough to kill that little fantasy.