Notices

finding it hard right now

Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finding it hard right now

I am trying not to drink. I am so scared of what damage i may have done to my liver. I suffer from panic attacks and have done for 20yrs since a violent rape. 10yrs ago i discovered that "hey, i never get a panic attack if im drinking" so guess what I did. Now I really want to stop drinking, but am so so scared that ive already done irreversible damage to my liver. i had a blood test done in january and doc said my liver enzymes were slightly raised but nothing to worry about and prob coz i was on strong antibiotics but shes a new doc and didnt know that i drank too much. average about 3blts of wine a week. Thing is now that im stopping drinking i dont miss it really until i start to worry about my liver then i get myself into a total panic but now i dont have the wine to take the panic away or help me sleep. This evening i feel so scared and worried and know if i have wine ill feel better but just for tonight, tomorrow i will feel worse so i wont drink but i feel alone in this and scared
Old 04-11-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Keenen,

I think it would be wise to tell your Dr. everything...This way she will be better to help you with the right course of treatment...With regards to your panic, I understand how terrifying this can be...Make it a point to come here, so we can encourage you and support you through the tough times...We are only happy to help...

Thinking of you...
Old 04-11-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely tell your doctor about your drinking pattern. Panic attacks are a bitch. I have had a few. You could talk t your dr about that too. You may be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder or something like that. If you are, you need to address that as well as your alocholism.

Drinking is the short term solution to a longer term problem, as you know. Keep posting here. It might help you to not feel so alone. Just remember your disease of alcoholism wants you to feel alone and isolated and makes you think the solution is to drink. It's not. The solution is to reach out to others like you did with your post.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi Keenen...

I get panic attacks too... have done for a long time... but now i am able to control them better...
What helped me was understanding why i get them and also what is happening within me when they come on....

As for helpin to reduce them... i dont take any form of caffine... that increases your adrenaline... leading to heart palpatations... leading to panic attacks..
I went to see a cognitive behavioural therapist 10yrs ago and he helped explain it to me... he also gave me something to do in a panic...

I try to breathe in a naturally as possible through the nose(i know its hard when in a panic).... dont breathe in too deeply... and when i exhale through my mouth to blow upwards... letting the breathe go over the tip of my nose...
This sends signals to the brain that your getting enough oxygen... and that in turn sends signals to the heart to slow down as it doesnt need to work as hard...

This works for me... i just thought i would pass it on... give it a go next time... its worth a try..

Please go and see your doctor though... and be honest...

Hi again
be well
louis
Old 04-11-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this link...click on the line below

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-8-a-6.html

....I replied to you on another thread of yours.
Hello again....
Old 04-11-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If the Doc said my enzymes were slightly high I wouldn't worry about it. However if you are worried you could get full tests done to put your mind at rest. I think lots of us get this when we quit, we think about what damage we may have done for the first time really.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
If the Doc said my enzymes were slightly high I wouldn't worry about it. However if you are worried you could get full tests done to put your mind at rest. I think lots of us get this when we quit, we think about what damage we may have done for the first time really.
Keenan, the above post is very good advice.If your liver is properly diagnosed,
then you can work out which path to follow.Sorry that past memories are
there,but all the ST members always care. lol
To be sure.........
Old 04-12-2009, 03:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi , Keenan ,
You are not alone here .
Read carefuly above posts , be honest to yourself FIRST .
warmly , witt