Notices

Sadness

Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Sadness

I've been feeling so much sadness lately. Sadness has been my baseline feeling for many years. Though I've been through a lot in the past, most of the stuff and events that pain me -haunt me- are not extraordinary.

I'm not throwing a pity party. In fact, I don't even know why I'm writing this. Maybe putting it out there helps. I think I've made some progress, as I've been able to share my feelings with my family and friends; they've been supportive. I have no desire to drink, that only makes it so much worse.

I believe in a power unimaginably greater than myself, which doesn't hand us more than what we can handle. But this is just ridiculous, lol. It's excruciating. I'm just grateful for being able to feel it and bear it.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Matt))) Sorry you're not feeling well. Don't know whats going on, but I have faith that you'll get through it. You seem like a strong person!
Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mergirl

I get tired of it too, because in my heart I believe I am a pretty content and joyous person. The ONLY thing I have found that abates the sadness without fail, is exercise. Seems when I am physically exhausted I cant dwell. I hope your current sad lifts soon<3
Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was pretty scared of being sad - it's one of the reasons why I started drinking.

Like you Matt, I've found I can bear it tho - it's all part of the life experience I decided I wanted to embrace, after I had my last drink.

I hope you work your way through it soon - I know you will...but pls...consider seeing a doc if you think it's anything more than sadness, ok?

take care mate
D
Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

((((MATTY)))) Don't be sad. You're my friend...what could you possibly be sad about?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate to that sadness Matt. All I know for sure is that it does pass, even though it's not easy. Hope you feel better soon Hon~
Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Sadness shouldn't be your baseline feeling for years. JMO, I'd see a doc.

Best wishes to you, Matt, you sure are a person who spreads happiness around these parts.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I don't know how long you have been sober, but around 90 days a heavy sadness hit me unexpectedly. It was overwhelming. I didn't want to drink either, I just wanted it to pass. It did. I think it is part of the mind, body and soul healing from all of the poison we were putting into it. Also, I had to learn to deal with my emotions after self medicating for so long. I had to relearn to feel emotions, sober.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mat.

(As usual Dee said what I would say on a day when my brain worked).
Old 03-29-2009, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can I make that my sig Stoney?

You do good work here Matt and you're loved - those are two very important things to consider

D
Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matt,

I am sorry that you're going through this. Sadness can be so painful.

Have you considered that you might be depressed and that maybe your dr could help?

I am sending big hugs and prayers your way, Matt!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Can I make that my sig Stoney?
Yep.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

(((Matt)))

...Echoing the others...might you see a doctor?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I really dont have any advice. I get sad and it seems like sometimes nothing makes me feel better. But you know you have friends here that you can talk to. I hope you feel better. I am glad you have some support from family friends.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sending Happy Thoughts Your Way Matt!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Depression is so all encompassing--it sucks dry every particle of your life. And then when you get better, you don't realize how depressed you actually were. As the others have said, going to your Dr. might be a good idea.

Best wishes to you...
Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hey Matt,

I agree with others that if you think it's possible there is more than melancholy going on here, I hope you'll see a doctor. When I first got relief from depression (which I'd thought of as just my personality for so long) I was amazed at the feeling - like a cracking open inside of me... it was very powerful for me, and a huge reprieve from what felt like a life sentence of dullness.

Even if you are experiencing situational sadness or transitory sadness, I hope you will seek out solace. Don't let it accumulate. It doesn't have to be medication that can soothe. Music, literature, good conversation, a funny movie, a great movie, a friend... I guess that's why you're coming here, huh? ( :

I agree that it's pretty remarkable that we can feel the pain and tolerate it - after years of numbing. Like you said, it really is something to be grateful for. Even when it hurts.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Depression is a human emotion, like happiness, fear, anger, and so on. There are times in life when we are sad, I think is we just deal with it, it will pass. I don't believe in taking a pill every time we get a twinge of human emotion. But, if it is overwhelming, and ruining your life, preventing you from functioning, then I recommend seeing a Dr. and possibly getting on the right medication. Sometimes a little bit of Love heals. So heres a hug :ghug3 for you Mattcake. Hang on, better days are coming.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with a medical exam. There could be physical causes too, so best to check yourself out. I know how awful heavy it feels carrying sadness in your soul. Here's a hug from Ohio, with lots of love.:ghug3
Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post
I'm not throwing a pity party. In fact, I don't even know why I'm writing this. Maybe putting it out there helps. I think I've made some progress, as I've been able to share my feelings with my family and friends; they've been supportive. I have no desire to drink, that only makes it so much worse.

I believe in a power unimaginably greater than myself, which doesn't hand us more than what we can handle. But this is just ridiculous, lol. It's excruciating. I'm just grateful for being able to feel it and bear it.
Matty,
and i'm grateful for being able to feel my own too. And as they say, "out of sadness comes joy" and its so true, man, it really is. I've had my share of both, and i can totally tell from your post that so have you, Matt. You Rule!!

Have a great day!!
RR