Notices

So how the hell to I stop drinking?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too tried to 'taper off' of alcohol. It never worked. I always drank too much. The only way I could quit was just to stop drinking. Medical help can be useful in soothing some of the withdrawal anxiety, as well as keeping you safe during detox.

Just don't drink, one day at a time. One hour or minute at a time if a day seems too long. Just don't drink for today.

You can do it and it does get better, once you get thru withdrawals.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I feel a little better after mentally preparing myself...but wait! I just learned that my parents-in-laws are staying over for the night (Yikes!). Well, maybe that's the teasing point.

Yes, I was thinking about seeing the doctor and I'm glad to hear that this is a good idea. Actually, I was probably underestimating my drinking issue. It's probably more glasses than that and it's everyday. Even when I'm off that day, I frequently check my watch until noon so I start a drink. Before that, my wife pointed out on why I had to start so early.

I don't want to make this too long but I'll see my counselor next week and ask for some suggestion and learn more about detox. Yes, anything to get rid of that annoying dryness, sweets? I'll try a hard candy. AA, maybe because I'm deaf and I'm still looking for a sign language around Houston, TX. Oh, did I mention Hurricane Ike? It really destroyed my mental stability and the drinking got worse.

Fubarcdn, I'm not sure what is the Ultimatum Club so apparently I'm not a member of this unless you think I can pass the intial ritual :-)

Cubile75, nice to meet you cyclists et al. Sure thing, another weekend training ride is definitely in order. My wife calls me an expert in timing my drinks and riding, but I lose sleep though. I still want to quit; I've lost too much wasteful time.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How do you quit? One day at a time. Don't drink. Go to a meeting. Don't drink between meetings. It's that simple. Does it mean that it's easy? No. I was a 6-pack a day drunk for over 10 years. I didn't know if I could quit. I was afraid to quit. But I did it. You can do it!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I stopped the day my family did an
intervention on me and had the
authorities come pick me up and
place me in the back of a police
car because i tried to end my
miserable life.

Thanks to my HP it was a failed attempt.

I stepped foot in rehab Aug. 10 '90
and my first full day sober was Aug.11 '90.

I spent the next 28 days in rehab where
it was a controled enviroment with no
access to alcohol or drugs.

When i returned home all the alcohol
was removed and anything else
that would tempt me to drink if i got
squirreley or pizzed.

I also went to a 6 week out patiant
aftercare program which then set
me on the path of recovery learning
to stay sober one day at a time with
a 12 step program provided to me
thru Alcoholics Anonymous.

Suggestions were taken seriously
and i listened and absorbed as much
as i could from those who shared their
Experiences, Strengths and Hopes with
me.

Some 18 yrs later, i still attend meetings
and work here on SR sharing my own ESH
with the newcomers giving them hope
that if I can stay sober a few one days
at a time collected together to get me
where i am today, then you can and
also experience the promises mentioned
in our Big Book Of AA of being Happy,
Joyous and Free.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bike4life View Post

Cubile75, nice to meet you cyclists et al. Sure thing, another weekend training ride is definitely in order. My wife calls me an expert in timing my drinks and riding, but I lose sleep though. I still want to quit; I've lost too much wasteful time.
Hey - nice to hear back from you!

Towards the end of my drinking career, I quit even timing it - I figured one or two beers wouldn't slow me up - argh, and my cycling was a real source of inspiration and pride for me .... and I even started pissing on that... Even with the rehab and a few weeks out of the saddle, riding completely sober now and/or no hangover is wonderful and I hope to get strong again soon.

Wow, What type of techniques do you use to know if cars are overtaking you? I don't ride with earphones and music as self defense...

One of the guys I was in rehab with was one of those crazy New York City couriers in the 80's... I had read about them... He had some great stories!

Mark
Old 03-27-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by bike4life View Post

Fubarcdn, I'm not sure what is the Ultimatum Club so apparently I'm not a member of this unless you think I can pass the intial ritual :-)

I think I might have misread your post or picked up something that wasn't in it.
The ultimatum club is a club for people here from an ultimatum to quit or get out. I may be the only member or there may be a couple more.
I don't read to well sometimes as I am old and my eyes are failing me.

Sounds like you are formulating a good plan for yourself.
Good luck
Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

alcohol will keep you alive...untill it kills you
Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hey bike-
i am a road cyclist also- love those long rides, and i used to slam beer after a nice 60 mile ride- talk about dehydration...cycling is a great experience- glad you are here and best of luck in your sobriety! Welcome.
Dub
Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

dedubya

did you forget about those nights before a long ride or century - all that "carb loading!!"
Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
eng.

Friend , I am sure if you are alcoholic your drinking career is just sleeping . Never say never .
Old 03-29-2009, 03:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

bike, as a lifer of drinking and druging, and on deaths door, i surrendered and did the three day taper to cold turkey...

AGH!!!, i do not recommend it, it was the worst expierence of my life, other then my addictive life up to that point...

i knew i could have died by doing it, i survived it, and it was another one of those paradoxes, maybe thats why my recovery has stuck for over six years!

pxyz
alcohol keeps me alive
if your serious about that, that was my thinking, as i was at the yellow/green, bloated, penniless, just about dead stage of alcoholism...