Notices

So how the hell to I stop drinking?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So how the hell to I stop drinking?

Hi again, I appreciate your welcome and some of you sharing your bicycle stories (ouch!). Well, I had my first drink when I was 13 and I drank for 25 years. So, as you can imagine, just the thought of not drinking tonight is just brutal. I tense up. At least, I'm going to have a "date" with my wife tonight and I should be able to tolerate not ordering drinks when we dine out. Getting home is another story.

So, I guess my question is: coming from 5 to 8+ half & half of hard liqour to a cold turkey seems unrealistic? I'm going to try to cut down and then stop. But again, "try" is not a strong word for me. So, did you just stop on that very first step day? I'm trying to utilize the 12 steps. I started writing a jounal which seems silly but I gotta take your word for it (reminds of my stupid high school class journal when we thought fashion, cars, and punk rock were cool).
Old 03-27-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR bike...you certainly have come to a good place to find support and understanding regarding your drinking problem. Several people here can tell you that detoxing can be serious business. I'm not one to say because I never was so bad that I needed it. But anyway, it's good you're here to be a part of SR.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you really need to talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol because it can be dangerous.

I think a lot of tried cutting back and controlling our drinking. I spent at least a year doing that. It never worked for me, ever, but I kept trying.

Stopping drinking was actually a relief, because I no longer had to obsess about how much I would drink and when, etc.

In my opinion, if your dr says it's ok, stopping cold turkey is the way to go.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

I tried to cut down several times but this last time I just quit. My wife finally saying either quit or get out had a lot to do with that.
I am happy to report though so far so good.
Are you a member of the ultimatum club too?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I first thought about quit drinking for good I was wondering how I would go thru life without beer.. Sporting events, parties just hanging out.. Thought would be boring without drinking a beer..

After just a week or so on here, reading and listening to people. I actually am excited to do things and go through life without beer..

So hang in there and stay strong, it will get better..
Old 03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
eng.

Same here friend , I was on several AA meetings , stoping starting drinking , all is the same , no just struggle , no sponsor , I cant work with this AA steps , it is too hard , I am not sure that I want to do ... so I need to relax , sober life is maybe not for me ... maybe .
Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I spent many years 'trying to cut down' and it wasn't until a major binge and a prescription overdose that nearly killed me that I stopped. So I don't think an alcoholic can really just cut back, it needs to be all or nothing.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

every time i tried to taper off , I ended up tapering on a drunk.
I just went cold turkey.I just quit and suffered thru it all.
For about one week after I put the plug in the jug, I tried to eat some,sleep some,and I did work a couple of days.It wasn`t easy,but it beat the heck out of drinking and dieing.
Usually 3-7 days your body is alcohol free,and what a lot of us do is eat some sweets during that time.Our bodied want the sugar we got from booze,so eating sweets helps there.We often mistake the sugar craving for a booze craving in early sobriety.You may want to get some orange juice and put a spoonful or two of honey in it,stir it up and drink it occasionally.I had a lot of nervous energy and I did do some stuff ( physical activity ) to burn it off during this time.
If you start to go into the DT`s,get to a Dr right away,or take one drink of alcohol.The alcohol will help you thru it,and then get to a Dr.
About one week into all this,I went back to AA and I have been there and sober ever since.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi and welcome..

Its a real wisw idea to consult your doctor before attempting to stop..

I attempted to stop or rather ran out of booze a few times and got into serious trouble with delirium tremens.....and have a piece of my tougue missing to remind me..

most of my detoxs were in hospital or i was taken to hospital..

It gets a whole lot better quickly normally a week for most ..imo.

Keep coming to sr and get involved in AA.

Thats my experience anyhow...........trucker
Old 03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
eng.

I spent only one mounht for trying to quit but it is impossible ... never been in jail , hospital or somewhere else cause my drinking , 9 days sober was my record ... but things was not good during these days , alcohol keeps me alive .
Old 03-27-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I think I "tried" to quit for years, by cutting back, only allowing so many days a week, it was torture. Only when I decided I was DONE, was I freed from that feeling. Talk to your doc about detoxing, once I was prescribed anti seizure meds when I did. This last time I quit on my own, and felt great within a few days, mostly from relief of ever having to live dependent on alcohol again.

Talk to your doc, and as my wise counselor says "the best way to quit drinking, is to not drink". hmm
Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I decided to quit drinking....
I begin using AA as my recovery program.

It's been an awesome adventure
everything AA promised me has come true....

I hope you too will find the joy of recovery
Old 03-27-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Originally Posted by PXYZ View Post
alcohol keeps me alive.
Canīt wait to hear what the folks around here have to say about this
Old 03-27-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
eng.

AA promise is one long long way for recovering - nothing more .
Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

I think its a good idea to go to your doc and tell him honestly about your drinking.
I got sober and stayed sober now almost 11 years through the 12 steps of A.A

AA promise is one long long way for recovering - nothing more .

AA promises

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not.

They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

They will always materialize if we work for them.

Alcoholics Anonymous p83-84

I have experienced these promises

quotes from 4th edition of the Big Book alcoholics anonymous
Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by PXYZ View Post
alcohol keeps me alive .
I used to feel like this, for a while I really believed it as well.

Now though I see the stupidity of it all, the agony of living your life waiting for the next drink.

It really ain't any kind of life at all.

Stopping completly and doing it safely with medical help is the only way I reckon.

Its not easy, but its really not that hard either, first few days are tough, not going to pretend there not but it really does get better.

There really is a better way to live my friend, hope you can find it.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

First and foremost... Punk rock and cars ARE cool, not were....

Just stop drinking. When you get home, post here if you need to, I'll be around some, others will be too. If you think you are getting into DTs... don't try to tough it out, get medical help...

Unless you have a specific reason not to, try to get to an AA meeting, get some phone numbers...

Take a good bike ride tomorrow, weather permitting (it's gonna rain here tomorrow, damn... ).

Mark
Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You wake up one day and you just do not pick up the next drink.
It is not a stroll in the park and you should do it with help from your doctor.
You will have to do it one day, so the sooner the better.
After a few days you will be very glad you did it.
Be lucky !!

" I think I could, if I only knew how to begin. For, you see, so many out-of-the-way things had happened lately that Alice had begun to think that very few things indeed were really impossible."

Lewis Carroll
Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Echoing the other comments here, the first thing I would do is see your doctor. That was my first step in recovery. Your doctor is probably the best person to decide if you can detox alone or if you need some medical attention.
Please realize that you can feel fine doing the amount of drinking you are doing, but still may need a detox.
Some of us have been through withdrawel without medical attention, like myself for example, and ended up in the ER.
As so many other wise SR people have mentioned: it's a good idea to make a plan for sobriety. Start with a doctor visit. Try a first AA meeting. Find some literature. Discuss your plan with your signifigant others, etc, etc.
Welcome and Good Luck with your recovery!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
eng.

My doc wrote me a prescription - diazepam + beer ... I have only beer few gallons .