Notices

What do you do to slow the mind and relax?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I sleep easier during the day too, it's like if I go for "a lie down" I drift off to sleep but at night I go to bed to sleep and so it annoys me when I can't sleep.

I try to have the attitude of just going for a lie down when I go to bed at night now too, it sort of takes the pressure off to perform, lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I found so many ocean audio for stress therapy and relaxation. WHOA..I like it.
I just kicked back and closed my eyes and in just a few minutes I seriously feel calm and even a little light headed.
Awesome. Thx everyone.
I tried the pandora thing and it wouldnt load anything.
But I appreciate all the suggestions.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Honestly, I've had so many nights like that and I just stayed up and kept busy. I live with Mom right now, and she has no technology things, like a computer, to stay up on, so when I was there, I'd read entire novels, laying in bed. After a couple days of that, my mind became ready to shut up and let me sleep. Or I'd be at my best friend's house, on his computer all night. One time, I was at my boyfriend's and he's got dial up. THAT was enough to send anyone to bed. I also wrote in my journal, my blog, or watched TV until the time came to pass out. Just know it will end. I've been blissfully able to sleep most nights, now, for over 30 days. I am grateful for my mind finally falling into the new/old habit of sleeping at night. I'd recommend taking a walk too, but I don't know how good/bad your town is, and that may not be the best idea. I know I went driving once, and actually got pulled over at 3AM. I was so happy and serene that I was actually out, AND clean, but annoyed because the cops always think you are up to no good when out at those times around here, and that was the only reason they pulled me over.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

OMG..I love thunderstorms.
Up here in Ny they dont get any hardly. But when I lived in FL. Awesome loud and just fierce all the time. It could do that for days sometimes. It is very relaxing.
There is so much I miss about FL. I wish I could go back.

I live the super burbs. Sorta like suburbs meets the country.
So nothing too dangerous out here except little wild critters and A hole kids driving like they are nascar drivers all the time.
But its a little too cold to walk yet. I love walking at night. Actually I love doing everything at night. Days just seem to drag on and on for me. And as soon as tht sun goes down I am ready to move. Probably why I cant sleep.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh yea. My gramps use to have those cassettes with all the natire sounds on them. My grams just dug them out. I dont have a cassette player tho. My lil cousin goes.."Whats a cassette player?" LOL
Old 03-26-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I love books since I stopped drinking, can't stop buying them.

Then I read in bed till I'm ready to sleep, I love laying there, safe in the knowledge that the worse I can feel in the morning is tired.

No shakes, no sickness, no driving the car while still over the limit to worry about, just whether I'll sleep or not, much better.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I wish I liked reading. I really dislike it alot.
I dont know why. EVeryone else in my family read ALL the time. But I just never got into it.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

praying
petting my cats
meditating
swimming
swinging on the garden swing when the weather is nice
listening to music
walking
spending quiet time with my partner
listening to program speaker CDs

freya
Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=HideorSeek;2165714]Hi Chiy!

It's funny you should ask because my racing mind is primarily why I drank.
Ooh, first time I tried this "quote" thing...Hi Chiy! I couldn't agree with both you and Hide more, the mind...what do they say, "a terrible thing to waste" gosh if I could just pick and choose and edit....lol!

I got some advice from the folks here and it was Melatonin, completely natural and you can get it at GNC or a natural food store, probably even a pharmacy. It worked wonders for me. I am hugely unproductive when my mind is that way AND THEN it makes me think of the days/nights that I could stay up (with substance) and get SOOO much done and that makes me do more unconstructive thinking....try the Melatonin.
I can tell you that this is Day 15 for me, alcoholic, and natural sleep does come back and a lot of it, I have been taking 2 hour naps during the day!
Much luck my friend! Oh, enjoy your posts very much!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thx ...congrats on 15 days. I use to take melatonin a long time ago. It makes me really groggy the next day. And I like go into a coma. LOL. Its like cant win for losing. LOL

I am goin to try the ocean sounds tonight and see what happens. I also have to sleep with my tv on. I am really afraid of dead silence and the dark. Pretty pitiful. But I just cant sleep in dead silence either. Then my thoughts go to crazy ghost things and stuff like that. I am not even kidding when I tell you I have a serious ghost phobia.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I feel pretty chill right now. The lil cuz is watching spongebob. I am sitting here reading and posting. About to turn the music back on. Just got out of a super hot shower. Got me a bowl of pineapple sherbet. And then a little later I will prolly have a cup of hot chammomile. And put the ocean on blast and float my way into dream land.

I fianlly did it and deleted every number out of my phone and texts and anywhere a number from the using or dealing people could be. It was a hard thing to do. My logic behind that one is. If I ever do go back. I dont need to be roamong blind finding anyone to cop from. Like its safer to have a number. The addict mind is so twisted.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

hey trish- I am so with you on this.
2 ideas that work for me- I have the exact same problem by the way.
1- exercise and get tired during the day at some point, walk a long way or run/bike if you can with your ipod/ mp3 . the longer the better- duration is key. 1 hour is a good target.
2- i put a noise machine (air purifier) in my bedroom that has this hypnotizing fan noise fairly loud- and i will concentrate only on my breathing and pretend I am in a small boat going down a peaceful river somewhere really peaceful. and i repeat in my mind, peace, calm, love, a few times. its weird I know but thats what i do and it works for some reason. then i say a small prayer to give me peace. then i unclench every muscle in my body starting with my head and relax.
Hope this helps-
Dub
Old 03-26-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Get a job at a goat farm and work 7.5 hours not taking a break and you will have NO problem falling asleep. LOL! Its a cure for me. Do you have any goat farms nearby Trish? LOL! Didn't think so.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

LMAO...We have dairy farms and apple orchards out the hoo ha.
I dont know if farm life is for me tho.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

For me its been exercise, gym in the morning and bike in the afternoon, thats makes me sleep. I have been doing crosswords as well, I find them relaxing and they are something I could NEVER comprehend when I was drinking
Old 03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Exercise. It does a ton of good for the body, soul and mind. I exercise just about every day and I sleep from 6-8 hours every night. No racing thoughts, practically no stress. I love it. Assuming that you don't already exercise, I urge you to get into the habit of doing it each day if possible. You'll definately reep the benefits as I have. I love this sobriety thing!
I have a tour scheduled with the local gym tomorrow morning at 11am for this exact reason!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I was thinking today While I walked to get the mail.
My life has been on fast forward ever since I can remember.
Geez..I was always rushing to school. Always rushing to do this and that behind my grandparents busy working lives.
In a hurry to grow up. I have always held fast paced, high energy jobs. And on top of it. Picked the speediest drug you could do. On top of that the rush to get the stuff all the time. Rush to get out of sight of the cops. Rush and get that money. Hurry up..dont mss the dealer.
You know? So slowing down is hard now.
I sat on my deck earlier and it was perfect. But I found myself thinking about what I could do. I cant just sit here like this. ????
I did take a pretty good walk. Sat on my deck and tried to be in the moment.
Took the kids and the dof to the park and walked around there. Now I am back and about to go enjoy the rest of this beautiful day on my deck. First day we have been able to sit outside.
Ocean sounds..Ocean sounds..LOL