Notices

New to Prozac...and sorta new here too =)

Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Friend

New to Prozac...and sorta new here too =)

Hi All... I posted this to the Substance Abuse Forum, as that's where I usually post, but I'm looking for as much insight as possible, So I wanted to post here as well: Anyone have experience w/Prozac?

Some of you know my story, but just a super quick background, as what I'm looking for is anyone's experience w/Prozac.

I am currently rx'ed 16 mg subutex/daily which I am beginning to taper off of as of today. Starting with cutting back 2mg; down to 14 mg for the next 3 wks to a month -- we'll see how that goes. The subutex was rx'ed after a 10 yr on/off opiate habit; with the last 2 yrs becoming a full blown physical addiction (w/several relapses after going c/t.)

I am also on 150 mg Effexor/daily...this is my first time taking an a/d and I started in March 2008 on 75mg/daily; quickly going up to 150mg. In the past I have been dx'ed w/depression and anxiety but have been reluctant to use meds. I have taken benzos in the past, which worked, but I no longer take them as I am on subutex (interactions) and also due to the abuse potential of benzos. I've also taken Lexapro (didn't seem to do much but make me sleepy) and Zoloft which I hated with a passion- increased my anxiety and I was basically a shut in for 2 mos.

The Effexor, which I've been on for a yr + doesn't seem to be doing much- (either never did or it has come to a plateau.) I told my doctor a few mos ago and he wanted to give it some time....now that time has come. His suggestions were to go up in dose, which I was reluctant to do, or to try a new med. At first he said Cymbalta - but decided it is much like Effexor and would probably effect me the same...the he decided on Prozac. I think technically a predecessor to Effexor (which is a SNRI, and I think Prozac is an SSRI) - but my dr thinks it may be the right thing for me. He feels it's trial and error.

SO I will ween down to 37.5 mg Effexor quickly and begin on the Prozac. I know we can't give medical advice here, but does anyone have experience w/Prozac? If so, how long have you been on it? Have you ever taken other a/ds? What is your experience with Prozac and has it helped you? Any negative side effects or positive outcomes? Thanks in advance for sharing! Please PM me if you're more comfortable with that!