Notices

Anyone feel like this?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone feel like this?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how everyone feels about responsibility after getting sober. Especially for yourself. Since i gotten sober I've learned to be responsible for myself and take care of myself. Through AA I have learned how to do all this.

But I tell you, I don't like it today one bit. Especially taking care of myself medically. I've had some medical problems so I've had to go to the Dr's. I really hate Dr's. So it's been really hard for me to move my butt and do what i have to do. But I've done it.

I know if it wasn't for my HP, AA, and my friends in AA I wouldn't be able to do it. It would be easier to stay in denial.

What's your thoughts on responsibility since you've been in recovery?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Well Barb..I never get more than a couple mos clean.
But in those minths I tend to get overly responsible and take on too much.
Then I get in this repetative routine that gets overwhelming and I break down.
With me I need to stop thinking I can do everything at once and slow down.
I feel so great when I get my head on right and want to make up for all those years of being irresponsible. And I can be a very responsible reliable person if I could stay clean. But as soon as I screw up. Its a wrap. All that hard work down the tubes.
For me it feels good to do what I have to do. I just need to not take on so much at once so early on.
Even with medical issues. I try to address too much at once and then there I am with a bunch of Dr appts and no time and it gets tiring after while.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being sober has meant a lot to me in terms of myself, my kids, work, freindships, family and society. I am responsible for being the best I can in regards to all of that stuff. Before, when I was drinking, I knew I was responsible for those things but I just didn't seem to care as much as I do now. They mean more. Taking care of all those things now makes me feel better about who I am. In my opinion all of those things affect me and how I take care of myself. Going back to the way I was is completely out of the question.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great topic,

After many months of not being resposible due to addiction, being newly sober was always a challenge when it comes to responsibility..

At times being responsible felt overwhelming, but once I was accustomed to my new life, I began to enjoy the rewards such as spending time with the family, and having the funds to pay my bills in a timely manner...and so much more.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can truly understand it being diffitcal (sp) to go and take care of yourself. I have to go in 3 times a week and get a shot that is going to make me feel like CRAP.....
What helps me is I know it's all apart of learning to love and take care of myself. Getting the treatment IS the next right thing for me to do in my life right now... I do hate the fact that I have a differnt doc for everything.... I would love a on stop Doctor shop... LOL
Old 03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm responsible for me and my actions now, full accountability, no excuses.

I also feel a responsibility to 'carry the message' and help others, which is a pleasant surprise, because previous to my recovery everyone was on this earth to serve ME, never the other way around.

The world 'owed' me, now I owe the world.