Notices

Judy's Night Light

Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Judy's Night Light

I added a new meditation book to my ever growing collection. Instead of daily readings for in the morning, this book, Night Light, is a book of night time meditations. I would like to begin to share this with everyone in the evenings, as a positive note to end our day on. So, here's today's reading.

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure - try to please everybody.

- Herbert Bayard Swope

Principles are rules or codes of conduct we set for ourselves; like being honest, striving to be on time and taking responsibility for bills and expenses. It is up to us to abide by these principles.

When we compromise a principle for someone else's benefit, we jeopradize the strength of that principle and its importance to us. If we want to be honest, then lying to cover up another's actions compromises that principle. If we want to be on time and someone makes demands that cause us to arrive late, we have compromised ourselves and let some else's desire dominate.

We need to set certain standards for ourselves and abide by them, even if another person will not be pleased. To let principles triumph over the demands and desire of another is a victory for our inner peace. If we are true to ourselves, we will learn we can count on ourselves no matter what.

Is anyone making demands upon my principles? Help me to be true to myself and not make compromises I will regret.

Taken from the book, "Night Light" A book of Nighttime Meditations by Amy E. Dean
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If we are true to ourselves, we will learn we can count on ourselves no matter what.
Those words just jumped off the page and landed here. I needed that reminder today.

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for bringing the meditations here.

Hugs
Old 03-19-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Like the body that is made up of different limbs and organs, all mortal creatures exist depending upon one another.

-Hindu proverb

We may have believed only we could solve our problems and satisfy our needs. Or we may have been super-responsible about caring for others, yet negligent in caring for ourselves. "I'll take care of it," may have been our most-used phrase.

There are some things only we can do for our emotional, physical and spiritual health: eat right, exercise, get plenty of rest, pray and meditate on a daily basis. Yet there are needs we cannot take care of alone: solving our problems, comforting ourselves, developing intimacy with others, feeling loved and cared for. Those things need to come from others.

Imagine how dependent we would be on others if we lost our eyesight or hearing or mobility. We don't need a physical handicap to ask for help. We have invisible handicaps that are linked to our emotional and spiritual needs. To mend them, we must ask others for help and guidance. We cannot do it alone.

Tonight instead of saying, "I'll take care of it," I can ask, "Will you help me?"

Taken from the book, "Night Light," A Book of Nighttime Meditations by Amy E. Dean
Old 03-19-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
We need to set certain standards for ourselves and abide by them, even if another person will not be pleased. To let principles triumph over the demands and desire of another is a victory for our inner peace. If we are true to ourselves, we will learn we can count on ourselves no matter what.

Is anyone making demands upon my principles? Help me to be true to myself and not make compromises I will regret.

Taken from the book, "Night Light" A book of Nighttime Meditations by Amy E. Dean [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
This is fantastic Judy. I know in sobriety I have been setting standards for myself and doing my best to adhere to them -- this is how I am learning to trust myself again. I had a tough decision to make yesterday regarding one of my kids and I forced myself to be true to me -- and not buckle under another's pressure. Although it was difficult, I do consider it a victory for my inner peace.

These are awesome passages -- thank you....
Old 03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I definitely will add this to my stops on SR each evening. Thanks Judy!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Thanks everyone. I thought that some would really like to read these in the evenings. Of course I had to peek into the future readings and some really good stuff coming up.

What really hit home with me was tonight's reading when it was talking about not asking for help. When I was using, I had no problem with asking anyone and everyone for help with every little thing. I took on zero responsibility. Then when I got into Recovery, at first, I took it to the other extreme. I wouldn't ask for anyone's help with anything. I thought that part of being in Recovery and being responsible for my actions meant being so independent that I didn't need anyone. I became so overwhelmed with trying to handle all of these new emotions and feelings that hit me like a ton of bricks. I still find myself taking on too much at times, thinking I can handle everything on my own. It's getting easier to see when I'm doing this so I continue to work on asking for help.

I love the fact that people are sharing what they got out of the readings. I like to hear other people's interpretations of meditation readings.

Judy
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I particularly liked the one from Swope.

Hey, how about posting one a day? Maybe as a daily for discussion? Just thinkin'.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Hey, how about posting one a day? Maybe as a daily for discussion? Just thinkin'.
Today 10:18 PM
That's the idea! Great minds think alike coffeenut!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Looking forward to your post tonight if you up to it! This was a great idea Judy! I know I have a lot of morning readings I do, but at night....not so much!

Love you my friend!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Reading for the evening of March 20.

"You telling me God loves you, and you ain't never done nothing for Him? I mean, not go to church, sing in a choir, feed the preacher and all that? . . . if God love me, I dont have to do all that. There's lots of other things I can do that I speck God likes. . . I can lay back and just admire stuff. Be happy."

-Alice Walker
The Color Purple

When we were younger, we learned bad people go to hell when they die. So we may have helped old ladies across the street, or didn't kick our brother, or didn't talk back, or went to church so we could get "good marks" from the great Power in the heavens.

Today we might still believe our Higher Power needs material evidence of our faith. We might still go to church because we think that's what we should do. We may get down on our knees twice a day because we feel we should.

All the program asks of us is that we come to believe in a Power greater than ourselves. It doesn't tell us how to pray or when to pray or the things we need to do to win our Higher Power's approval. All we need to do is make our Higher Power a part of our world.

I can remember that everything is a result of a Power greater than myself. Can I include this Power in my life?

Taken from the book, "Night Light," A Book of Nighttime Meditations by Amy E. Dean
Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

March 21

"Do not lose your inward peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset."

-Saint Francis de Sales

Today may have been filled with tense people, hectic schedules, or confusion and anger from those around us. We live and interact with a variety of situations that can range from slightly stressful to very stressful. How we handle ourselves in those situations can determine our inner peace. We can be like an amoeba and suck up the surrounding mood and conform to it, or we can remain detached from the situation and be in touch with ourselves.

Just because the environment around us is like a battlefield or is so uncomfortable we want to squirm, that doesn't mean we have to prepare for battle or move about restlessly. Whatever is happening outside of us somebody else's issue. Our most important issue is us and our own inner peace. The only way our inner peace can change is if we allow it. We are in control of our inner selves-not the world around us.

I can remain calm and serene in the face of any crisis because of my strong faith. I believe all is well with me.

Taken from the Book, "Night Light." A Book of Nighttime Meditations by Amy E. Dean
Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Here it is! I'm afraid it is going to be buried.....how about a daily or weekly separate thread? Would that help? Don't know....just rambling, here.

I found two things very important in this reading:

We are in control of our inner selves-not the world around us.

We can be like an amoeba and suck up the surrounding mood and conform to it, or we can remain detached from the situation and be in touch with ourselves.

I tend to let outside sources drive my mood, when I really just need to suck it up and remain calm. I am MUCH better with 9 months sobriety, but it is still something I really need to work on.

Something else that has really helped me.....I read somewhere that 'it is none of my business what others are thinking/saying about me'......how true...and that takes a lot of anxiety out of the picture, too.

Thanks, Judy!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Thanks coffeenut, I'm glad you like the meditations.

Something else that has really helped me.....I read somewhere that 'it is none of my business what others are thinking/saying about me'......how true...and that takes a lot of anxiety out of the picture, too.
I really, really struggled with worrying about what others thought of me. . . and I still can get sucked right back into this very easily if I let myself. As far back as I can remember, my Mom would so often say, "What would people think?" This really stuck with me throughout my adult life and using just intensified my insecurities of wanting everyone to like me. This lead to me trying to be the person that I thought each seperate individual in my life wanted me to be. I lost any kind of sense of self. I had no idea who Judy is. . . the things I liked and disliked . . . I was completely lost. When I was in IOP, I had an assignment to describe who I was. I wrote down that I'm a mom to Brandon, daughter to . . . . but that's all I could think of.

One of my favorite sayings along these lines is:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts coffeenut . . . anyone else?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Judy! Late on board here, but thanks for the inspirations! This last one is particularly true of me...worrying what others will think...adapting my responses to fit others' agendas...Actually, I think you and I may have been separated at birth, our family stories are so much alike.

I needed to hear this today (it's actually morning). I had a rough week with our 2 girls (age 20 and 23). They bickered constantly to me about each other and tried relentlessly to get me to choose "sides". I knew that that would have been disastrous, and so kept saying "let it go" or "work it out amongst yourselves", but it was an uphill battle. They were always trying to pull me in. It's funny ( well, not so much), that they do this to me, but not my husband.

Anyways, I'm getting better at this (not taking on the woes of the world), but it's still my knee jerk reaction to "fix it" and "make it all better"...

Thanks again, Judy, I'll be back too!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

"...what other people think of me is none of my business..." is an incorrect statement.

The correct phrasing is, "...what other people think of me is not my choice, but it is my business when it results in actions which affect my life..."
Old 03-22-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Judy, I love the avatar and I love the elephant. He is just the cutest little guy! I also love you and your nighttime meditations! You have to share with me how to use the graphics. My posts are BORING
Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

March 22

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which (were) overcome while trying to succeed."

- Booker T. Washington

When hurdlers race, they look ahead to see each hurdle that must be leaped. High-jumpers see the height of the bar they have to clear. Businesspeople look at charts to see their positions and the number of positions they must pass in order to reach their goals. Students are well aware of the number of credits and course requirements needed for a degree.

Not all of the obstacles in life are as easy to see. Those of us who grew up in alcoholic homes had to overcome tremendous obstacles just to survive. Some of us may have such a low self-image that by just feeling satisfied with an accomplishment, we have overcome tremendous blocks to our growth.

As we measure each day's successes, we need to keep in mind the obstacles we have to face. When we have leaped over a hurdle in life, we have earned a great success. Overcoming one obstacle means this is one less hurdle to stand in our way.

"Tonight I can review my day and look for my small successes. I know I have overcome some obstacles today and have done well."

Taken From the Book, Night Light, A Book of Nighttime Meditations by Amy E. Dean
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Thanks, Judy! Overcoming obstacles with a sober head is a work in progress, for me. I do find great satisfaction in Knowing it can be done.

Everytime I see that elephant, it makes me smile!

Green Tea....incorrect or not, it works for me. Spending time worrying about what people are thinking of me is useless. I stand by it.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

March 23

"There are parts of a ship which, taken by themselves, would sink . . . But when the parts of a ship are built together, they float. So with the events in my life. Some have been tragic. Some have been happy. But when they are built together, they form a craft that floats and is going someplace. And I am comforted.

-Ralph W. Sockman

If we only remembered the unhappy times we've had, we'd sink into depression. Likewise, if we saw only happiness, we'd have a limited vision of our lives. When we take the good along with the bad, we see reality. When we strive for a balance of opposites, we move closer to maturity. When we accept that for every bad day there will be a good one, we accept life as it is.

There is a saying, a ship in harbor is safe, but ships weren't built to stay in harbors. We captain our own ships. When we sail, we are taking risks. There will be calm sailing, but there will also be ferocious storms. We can weather anything with a supportive crew and a determined belief to guide us.

I am not afraid to be captain of my ship. Tonight I can bless all the things in my life that help keep me afloat.

Taken from the Book, Night Light, A Book of Nighttime Meditations by Amy E. Dean
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I just love these.......thanks.