Notices

I Really Need Help

Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Whoa.....

You can go to an ER or call 911 if you get scared.
Had you not read the info...and you did seize
would that make the situation better?

Try to relax....I did not try to frighten you.
I just think the more information you have
the better you can cope with anything.
Think positive ....your brothers health is not yours.

Drink a lot of water...Gatorade/juices are good.
Cutting back on caffeine and eating small
light meals will help. Aspirin for aches
Hard candy helps if you begin to shake.

And...don't hesitate to get professional help.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sorry, Carol, if that came out the wrong way. I realize you weren't *trying* to scare me. I am panicky to begin with today, so now I am obsessing about the seizure possibility. Do you happen to know if there anything I can do to help prevent one? Any over-the-counter medication I could take? Anything I could eat or drink (aside from alcohol, of course)? Any activity that would help? Exercising, maybe? Would napping be a good idea, or could I have a seizure in my sleep?

I'm sorry for all the questions, and for freaking out, but I think I'd better stay away from that thread for a bit...lol.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Muffinhead, I am scared too. & I don't want to pick up a drink b/c I am afraid that it will not stop there. I am really really really having a bad day.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
daisydookie278

Try to remember what you are grateful for, and what you would lose if you continue to drink. Take it slow. Keep your head up. Don't lose hope. This is the only life you get, make it worth it.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to the forum muffinhead.
I can't really comment on the detoxing part but I do want to welcome you and let you know that everyone is here to help in any way that they can.
Stay by your computer and keep posting and ther will almost always be someone here.
I wish you all the best.
This is something you can do if you really want it and you sound like you do.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's ok....and no I havve no information on
how to prevent a seizure. I do know there
are prescription med's available.
I suggest you call either your brother or your doctor.

Perhaps your anxiety is over the top from this de tox?
Try a bubble bath with soothing music ..lie down for a bit.
Eat something you really like.
Or keep posting with us...we do understand.

Mega
Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Resident

Sorry to poke my head in again but after reading Carol's post I wanted to say. Can you get your brother or someone else to come and sit with you? It would probably help lower the anxiety.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Take a deep breathe and repeat the phrase with each breathe you take, calm your mind. It wont take away all of the problems but helps to distract you enough so that you can get your thoughts in order. I've started using that phrase and have added on to it be kind in spirirt. Things automatically settle down for me. You can make this day your own. Make certain you write the negative stuff going down right now and if you get to this point again you can see the anquish in what you were feeling - that day you made it. You can make this one as well. I didn't realize how many are fighting for their lives until I started reading and that helps. Use the mantra or hold something in your hand that is dear to your heart - hold it until it hurts if you have to but get passed the moment.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It has helped me to post here before I drink. We made a pact a while back and I've done just that. And I try to remember that it's the first beer that gets me in trouble...I can't stop at one as much as I try to convince myself I can.
Welcome, I hope you stick around!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Mistilly....
Good share, thanks
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you for the ongoing responses, everyone. Just checking in--the anxiety has gone down, although I'm still a bit freaked out about the seizure thing (I work from home, so would be alone were I to have one, and am not sure what would happen). Reading your threads is helping a lot, though, so thanks again.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh, and as for the idea of having my brother over, I appreciate the suggestion, but I can't do that for a couple of reasons. For one thing, my entire family lives in other cities than my own. Also, he's never admitted it was the drinking (or more correctly, the quitting) that caused his seizures. Actually, he's never admitted having a problem in the first place. Alcoholism runs in my family, and I'm pretty sure we're in the same genetic boat, there...lol.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post
Thank you for the ongoing responses, everyone. Just checking in--the anxiety has gone down, although I'm still a bit freaked out about the seizure thing (I work from home, so would be alone were I to have one, and am not sure what would happen). Reading your threads is helping a lot, though, so thanks again.
Hi Muffinhead! Welcome!

Donīt be scared! The peeps in here just trying to help out!

Welcome to the board!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

Welcome!!
You have a PM. ( Private Message).
Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, everyone.

I am so sorry for wasting your time, asking for help here, posting messages, and then not even lasting a single GD day. Sorry, too, for the obvious self-pity which I'm sure is apparent to long-timers...lol.

I had such high hopes when I started out this morning. I was convinced I had to stop drinking, and was even convinced that I could do it. I managed to last the day, post on the forums, call A.A. about meetings, make dinner, do some cleaning, phone my parents, get some actual job stuff done (I work from home), and even work out (which I hadn't done in a month). I felt great. Okay, let's not lie...lol. Not great--still a bit anxious, shaky, skittish, scared and self-loathing, but at least a hell of a lot better than I did yesterday, what with the uncontrollable weeping...lol.

Now, I don't want anyone to misinterpret what I am going to say next--I am not blaming my husband. I know the fault was entirely my own. Absolutely, completely, one-hundred percent my fault and my call.

But he came home after work with a big bottle of vodka and a couple of beers. As I said, I had cooked, cleaned, worked out, gotten a bunch of real-life (i.e. career) work finished, and was feeling pretty good. Or at least less than awful.

Again, my husband is not an evil person. He is not a slightly mean person, even. He has a very stressful job, and drinks about as much as I do.

But when he said, "hey, hon...I've got some booze in the car, is it okay if I bring it in?", I know I should have said no. Or at least "yes, but no thanks, I won't have any". I intended to do that, but after a while, I gave in and poured myself a drink.

And now I'm back to Square One. What's worse than Square One? Triangle Zero? Whatever it is, I am there.

I know it is the worst thing to come in here announcing one's intention of achieving sobriety, and then falling off the wagon before you can even say 'hello my name is...', but clearly, I need a lot more help than I even thought I did.

Edited to say: I realize I have likely already burned my bridges here and exhausted my appeals, but I feel like I am spiralling down into hell. I've always thought I was somewhat of a strong person, but obviously I'm not.

Thanks for reading. Apologies for the whining.

Last edited by muffinhead; 03-16-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

We don't allow bridge burning on SR...
Neither do we give up on anyone interested
in recovery. No member wasted their time.
Helping you helps us.

I think your energy was amazing...that was a
positive sighn. Now you know where AA is
your home is neater ..work was accomplished.

I'm glad you came back to update us
..I had many false starts on my recovery journey.

Keep posting..keep trying...success can be yours.