Notices

I Really Need Help

Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Really Need Help

I have to stop drinking. I know that it is destroying my career, marriage, and entire life, but I can't seem to stop.

I realize this is a lot to ask, and I know I am brand new here, but please help me get through today. If I can just get through one day without a drink, perhaps there is hope for me.

Any words of encouragement or support would be immensely appreciated. If you could spare me just a moment to say 'hello' or 'hang in there', I would be so grateful, you have no idea.

I know I shouldn't start out by throwing out a bunch of requests, but please don't tell me to go to an AA meeting, however. I'm just not ready for that, and not sure if I ever will be.

Thank you so much in advance for any words you can offer.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

There is always hope!

I do understand and I still remember how horribly alone I felt at the end of my drinking days. I had no idea which way to turn.

Get rid of the alcohol you have on hand, don't drink today. Go outside for a long walk, listen to some music, play with your pet - do whatever you can to distract yourself.

Take a look around here, and read and post. You'll be inspired.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Muffinhead I am in the same boat. This is terrible. I am losing everything. My job, my marriage, my kids (adults) lives. I was suppose to go to my daughter's yesterday and help her cook dinner and spend quality time. But guess what, she waited 3 hours for me and I never showed up because I was trashed. I am so disgusting, I can't stand myself. I need help and I need to associate with people that have been successful in their lives and that has had an alcohol problem and has beat it. I understand your pain. I'm in it with you.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Muffin, Welcome
I am glad you are here..
stay close to SR today, there will be people along shortly.
just for today...you can do this...
we are here for you...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it. You can make it through this day.

Many of us are not in AA, many are in AA. I am not. Many of us take pieces of the AA program and embrace them. "One day at a time" is a good one to start with for you.

With a lot of posting, reading and support from here at SR, I've not had alcohol for months.

Stay with us. There is a large community here that has been where you are today.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Welcome..There is alot of support and encouragement here.
Just stay close and read and post. Thats what gets me through sometimes.
Glad you are here.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Muffinhead & Want2stop
Just for today don't drink. If we look at it one day at a time, it becomes a little easier to do it. I know for myself I have to do it one day at a time. And I use prayer all through my day. The Serenity Prayer is a wonderful tool. The courage to change the things I can, (your drinking) I will pray for you I am on my way to a meeting, they do help.
BELIEVE IN MIRACLES
Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR fam... I'm pulling for you and so are many others *hug*
Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, welcome to the board.. I've found SR itself to be extrememly helpful.. Listen to advice and find your inner strength..
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you

Believe808 your words are encouraging and I know I need to do this one day at a time. My husband also drinks, not as much as I do, but when I know he's been drinking, I feel it's an excuse for me to drink as well. We are toxic together, I know that. But I love him and I do not want my marriage to fail (2nd marriage). I have asked him to please go with me to meetings and he saids that he can not help me that I have to help myself. I hate going to meetings alone and therefore I don't go. I don't know what to do. I am just hating myself today and I feel horrible and I can't go on this way any longer.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As I tell myself and others.. What is more important? Our Family and our financial stability OR Alcohol.. Sit back and look at the big picture it should be an easy answer. Find your inner strength to do it.. Or find help if you can't do it alone..
Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all your comments and kindness. I had no idea the response would be so quick! I am looking through all the threads, and see so many shared issues, concerns and struggles--I hardly know where to begin.

Right now, though, I feel terrified, and am not sure why. I don't know whether it's because I'm scared I will drink, or scared I will stay sober--not sure if that makes any sense, but it's about as well as I can explain it.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

muffinhead......

Glad you are here with us...Welcome!

Are you de toxing from alcohol just now?
Or peraps planning to?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you, Carol.

I am not sure what constitutes 'detoxing', exactly, but I suspect I am. I have been drinking every single day for more than a month, and just stopped this morning. Before that, it was a little more on and off, but mostly on...lol. I have been drinking regularly and heavily for years now--sometimes stopping during the weekdays. Lately, not so much stopping, unfortunately.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Muffinhead

I love your name, by the way. Welcome and just focus on each hour as it comes, not to pick up the first drink. It is the first drink that gets us drunk, because we can't stop at one. Florida has wonderful AA meetings, even ones on the beach. I find that the hour I spend in an AA meeting, I just find such serenity. I felt funny the first time I went to an AA meeting, but pleasantly surprised that there were no BOGEY MEN there, they were so kind and I finally felt as if I was home. If it will help you not to pick up, just keep posting whenever you feel the urge. I will pray for you.
BELIEVE IN MIRACLES....
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Ok.....here is the deal MuffinHead

Because you have a long history of drinking
it's always wise to have an honest talk with your doctor.
Withdrawing/de toxing from alcohol is a serious medical issue.

We do have info on our Alcoholism Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please note that not all of us had the same time line
or severity of symptoms. It's impossible to know what
you will have...too many varibles.

Yes! you too can quit...be safe and sober too...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, muffinhead! k
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for the link, Carol, but can I be honest?

Reading that made me ten times more anxious than I already was! Now I'm terrified I'm going to have a seizure if I don't have something to drink!

My brother has a history of them (I suspect, also because of quitting drinking). I have never had one, and have quit drinking cold turkey (usually for a few days, one time a couple of months). Even though this has never happened to me, I can't get that terrifying thought out of my mind.

I can't see my doctor today (his staff requires you make an appointment at least two days in advance). What in the heck should I do? Have something to drink so I don't have a seizure? Or just stay sober and risk it? Go to an emergency room? Okay, I am seriously starting to panic now!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family, Muffinhead!

When I found this miracle site, I found the following link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I read that and then bought the book. It helped me understand how I had become addicted to alcohol, mind, body and soul. I have been sober since the day I read that link.

Make yourself at home!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Medical supervision during detox is a good idea. Detox usually lasts a few days to a week, but you will feel so much better when the alcohol is out of your system. Just take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. You CAN stay sober. Just don't drink today.

Lots of water and juice and vitamin B can help during detox. Chamomile tea is good for calming anxiety and milk thistle is good for detoxing the liver. Hang on to us here. REad and post your feelings. You CAN get thru this and come out a better person. Be kind to yourself. Start your life over today, a new sober life, sobriety is worth the effort!:ghug3