Notices

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had to do this?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had to do this?

OK, not sure how much people are willing to share, and not sure if people have screwed up the way I have before?

Let me just say I have never really been in trouble before. a couple of speeding tickets is the extent of my trouble with the law.

Well I have shared before that I got a DUI a few months back. My first ever.
And as part of my punishment I have to serve a weekend in the work house.
and another weekend in the min security alcohol assesment class, that you have to stay in the jail.

Well My first weekend is coming up in 2 days, and I am so scared. Maybe I watch too much TV, but the thought of jail is debilitating to me, I can't sleep at all at night, I think about it non stop. To the point I will burst into tears out of the blue, & think about drinking all the time, just to numb this.

Has anyone been in trouble before & had to spend time in the workhouse? Am I going to get my ass kicked, or do I need to make really good friends with Berta when I get there?????
Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I have no advice for you, but I surely imagine how frightening it is.

Maybe someone will be along who can give you some information.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I sware I am not laughing at you.........I worked myself up so badly the first time I p***Ed ALL of the officers off within 20 minutes of being there...........I was crying so bad I couldnt quit hurling.............it was wild.....yes you hear horror stories, but it isn't as bad as all that.....if it ever gets to a point where your in fear of your life or well being tell a guard IMMEDIATELY that is what they are there for your not there to surrender your life to "Bertha" I think you called her......good luck hon and just hang tight and remember this is a damn good reason for staying sober!!!!

Best of Luck
Pamm
Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WLDKATZ View Post
I sware I am not laughing at you.........I worked myself up so badly the first time I p***Ed ALL of the officers off within 20 minutes of being there...........I was crying so bad I couldnt quit hurling.............it was wild.....yes you hear horror stories, but it isn't as bad as all that.....if it ever gets to a point where your in fear of your life or well being tell a guard IMMEDIATELY that is what they are there for your not there to surrender your life to "Bertha" I think you called her......good luck hon and just hang tight and remember this is a damn good reason for staying sober!!!!

Best of Luck
Pamm
Thank you Pamm!
You can laugh all you want, Hell my brother served 2 yrs for Meth & when I tried to tell him how scared I was I think he peed he was laughing at me so hard. He said work house is different, and either way its all women & hes sure that is different.

I just wished I could quit obessing over it! I just want it to bepast me so badly!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I llaughed because I was remembering how scared I was.......I actually went to prison, here I am little girl from the country in a holding cell with 3 chicks from the big ole Detroit.......they all said they were there for murder...........I was so hysterical that the officers who had taken me down to the prison was trying to take me back home with them to the county jail.............I was scared spitless.......learned my lesson though I tell you what.....
Old 02-25-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been locked up before. You'll be fine. Just mind your own business and use common sense. Respect goes along way in jail...respect those around you and they will most likely respect you.

SIncerely,
Missy
Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

My dear friend, bring food for Bertha. Just kidding! Hon, you are not going to be in with gals that murdered their husbands or commited armed robbery. What a law suit that would be if something happened. (which it won't.)
I would be scared too, I think that is part of the lesson, don't you? I would just keep to myself and carry yourself with confidence. You will be fine. Tell them you have SR friends from all over the world that will come kick their a$$!! Want me to come with you? I'll slide a box of candy under Bertha's door.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

didnt think about that, that is really the only thing that you need to know when getting locked up.....respect and faith........use both of those things and you will be just fine!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mergirl

I had fun in jail. . .no really I did! The first time was pretty ok, I was young and the old gals adopted me. Then when I did my weekends, it was all hookers and they were all to obsessed with self pity and whatever to notice me. You'll be ok.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had to serve 8 days for my second DUI. It was a woman's correctional facility, and mostly I was with others in for DUI or theft, minor stuff. I was in a small room with 2 bunks and I had the upper bunk - it was just so horribly boring, nothing to do or read. Take books if you can. I never felt threatened - then again, I was old enough to be everyone's mom, so they were nice to me. It'll be ok - a lesson learned, and it's a valuable one. (I wanted to keep my Photo ID they gave me in "prison" and clip it to my rearview mirror as a reminder, but they took it from me when I left.) Sending love...
Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I have spent far too many nights in jail (maybe 8)....all as a result of my drinking. It isn't too bad. More difficult passing the idle time....and one jail is never the same as another. I was always either in my own holding cell passed out drunk, or in a large "work" unit with minor offenders and such. Lots of dwi's, dar's, and other non-violent stuff.

Bring money! One thing people never tell you....as most places have vending machines and you can get phone cards and stuff.....and in MN they take $10 right off the top for a booking fee....and the snacks and sodas are roughly or close to double what you would normally pay.

Good luck. And learn from this experience I don't plan on ever going back, but I cannot say that with 100% accuracy as I am still on probation for some time
Old 02-25-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jail and Prison are two different things. Prison is where most of the bad chit happens. You'll be fine.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToABetterMe View Post
OK, not sure how much people are willing to share, and not sure if people have screwed up the way I have before?

Let me just say I have never really been in trouble before. a couple of speeding tickets is the extent of my trouble with the law.

Well I have shared before that I got a DUI a few months back. My first ever.
And as part of my punishment I have to serve a weekend in the work house.
and another weekend in the min security alcohol assesment class, that you have to stay in the jail.

Well My first weekend is coming up in 2 days, and I am so scared. Maybe I watch too much TV, but the thought of jail is debilitating to me, I can't sleep at all at night, I think about it non stop. To the point I will burst into tears out of the blue, & think about drinking all the time, just to numb this.

Has anyone been in trouble before & had to spend time in the workhouse? Am I going to get my ass kicked, or do I need to make really good friends with Berta when I get there?????
I think you'll be ok. My GF's husband did have to spend some time in jail, as a result of his throwing a drink at her and hitting her in the face. She did call 911. He has been almost two years without a drink. I think it's a good idea to just go there and not think too much about it. I went to detox for two days and it was not fun - but I got through it. No, I haven't been arrested - yet - and hope I am not. However, I've had SUPER bad things happen to me while UTI. Hang in there. We'll all be here when you return!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

It isn't a place I like to eat breakfast
Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
It isn't a place I like to eat breakfast
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

so true, did you find out what you can take with you yet??? how ya holding up?

Later,
Pamm
Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, I think the very real and permanent potential consequences of driving drunk and maybe KILLING an innocent person or yourself could reasonably be considered a heck of a lot scarier than going to jail for a weekend. I'd be grateful.

It kind of sounds like you're missing the point of the exercise. Think of this weekend in jail as your "free-pass" from the universe. Instead of killing someone and regretting your actions for the rest of your life, you get to spend a weekend in jail. Have you read those newspaper articles about people who drove drunk and killed someone and they are so filled with misery and self-loathing? And there's no way they are ever going to bring the beloved child of that stranger they didn't know back? And that stranger is never going to get to walk their daughter down the ailse or see them graduate or whatever?

When you are spending one weekend in jail, just think about how you didn't hurt anyone this time.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the others here. It was devastating to me. No problems with others or staff, my problems were internal and served to punish me far more than the law did.

You see I surrendered my dignity at the gate. Gone. I felt like a worm. Subhuman. For two days. You know, as a kid I always thought that I could spend a year in jail if I had enough books. An opportunity to isolate and read.

Hah! I was so desolate I couldn't have read Dick and Jane. Every minute seemed like eternity. I'd think hours passed, I'd ask the guard for the time and 15 minutes had elapsed.

I think what made it hardest for me was my firm realization that I deserved to be there. For many I was with, it was a mere inconvenience. It is far easier, I think, when one believes he just "got caught," got railroaded, the cop's fault, etc.

I don't think jail is to punish. I think it is merely to keep us away from society. The law abiding society. To keep them safe for two days or two years. I believe deeply that we can only punish ourselves. I am expert at it.

warren
Old 02-26-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

reminds me of the court ordered mandatory treatment.....these places I call seem to think I am just going to pick their place to get it over with......wrong....I am taking the time to find a program that fits for me....as well as length and cost (they do ultimately pick which one for me....but I hope I can guide them through dedication and sobriety)
Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

they probably won`t throw you in with axe murderers,Freddie Krueger, or anyone like that.
I been to jail way too much.Most guys there did not want trouble.The only trouble I had was a lot of racial trouble breaking out on the inside.
Mostly,I just minded my business and it went ok.