Notices

In trouble - what do I do?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
Katie Bear,

Sending you love, prayers and good/encouraging thoughts your way! You're a special girl and I care deeply for you. Please take care of YOU! I wish I was there right now to hug you and just hold you tight for awhile. Consider yourself hugged, k? I won't be around too much tomorrow, but I will check in with you cuz I do care about you young lady soooo much (even if your not 29 w/o)...!

:ghug3
Gosh, Nickishine, what can I say? I lost my little bear in July, so it's so sweet you call me Katie Bear. Hey girl, you hang in there too! You are very special to me! I know this is a tough time for you and rightly so. I just want you to take care of you! I figure we are in this fight together, so we must hang together. So...you take care of yourself tomorrow and do what must be done. Just know I am always here and do check in often...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I just came back in here to see how you are doing.
I keep thinking about you.
I hope your ok.
XOXO
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ADayAtATime View Post
I just came back in here to see how you are doing.
I keep thinking about you.
I hope your ok.
XOXO
Thanks so much! ADayAtATime, I at STILL twitching. I cannot believe this. It's time to sleep but I can't. I WILL get through this. But this twitching is really bugging me. I'm sure y'all have gone through this, right? I even went so far as to call AA in another state, as I called the AA here and got an answering machine. I got phone numbers of SIX women! I think that's just wonderful.

Last edited by Katie09; 02-26-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:21 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Cool

SR--Katie09 and Rehab

I don’t know if you’re still up, or if you’ve taken yourself off to la-la-land...Ah well, you’ll read this in the am--oh heck, it’s already the am--well, later in the am, or perhaps later this afternoon.....or whenever....lol

“...I will. I called the rehab place and they told me to maintain my habit, as alcohol withdrawal is serious. They do have detox there that is medically managed. So...now I am reduced to calling a taxi to go get more, if you can believe it....”

I was so happy to read this. I was trying to gather the courage to suggest something very similar, and perhaps risk the wrath of some folks here [the nerve of someone (me) suggesting a person NOT quit, but to continue drinking....?]. I was going to suggest that you call the rehab to see if they offered detox (most do, as it’s so dangerous to do on one’s own), and even if they don‘t they usually have a hospital nearby, that they use, that does offer detox. Then I was going to suggest you not even try tapering, but just continue your normal drinking habit for now.

I should say, here, that I personally do not have any experience with rehab, but my oldest (whoops, make that longest-standing) and dearest friend did go...2 ½ years before I joined her, and lots of others, in recovery. My friend’s Aunt was in recovery at the time (with, I believe 20 years of sobriety--now she has 45 years of sobriety --- go Auntie!!), and she and a number of others did an intervention on my friend. My friend went to stay (ever so briefly) with her Aunt, and then was taken to rehab....sucking from that (alas, the last) pint bottle of bourbon right up to the front doors of the Betty Ford Clinic, at which point my friend was informed she would not be allowed to bring ’that bottle’ in....so, like the good li’ll alkie she was.....she bottoms up’d the last....lolol ....and thus began my friend’s (and later my) journey on the Road of Happy Destiny.....she just celebrated 25 years last December 2008, and I will celebrate 23 years this coming June.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just have one more itsby-bitsy, teeny-weeny....suggestion in regards to something else you wrote in one of your others posts (on this thread too, I believe). My suggestion may, if you follow it, may save you from some aggravation, possible anger, even budding resentment....

“...I called the ONE other person I know in AA here and she blew me off, saying her lunch was hot. I am so angry right now I have a mind to call her back and tell her she forgets what it was like to be in the same boat five years ago. She is sober now, so whatever. I know she isn't representative of you people or the other wonderful other people I've met in AA, but I could kill for someone to just come and sit with me through this....”

Ok now......breath.....breath.....lol ...and yes, you’re right; she isn’t a representative for ‘all’ AA, but before you go over to her to whack her with her BB.....let’s think a bit; try to remain calm. First off, I’m going to guess that this woman is someone who gave you her phone number and not some woman manning the AA help-line. OK, going on from there; yes, she could have handled your call better, but then....perhaps she was having a ‘bad’ day. Remember, all the folks in AA are just alcoholics, in recovery, yes, but not perfect, yet.... (o:

What I’m going to say next may tick you off, but plz, I’m just offering some insight, from my own experience (from both sides of the call--the caller and the receiver).

The woman I chose for my sponsor in early recovery--and kept throughout my newcomer time--she had certain ‘rules’ regarding phoning her....since she worked very early in the am, if I needed to talk to her, my needs needed to be during the hours of 5pm-9pm, or from 4:30am-7am. Remember this was a time before there was such a plethora of cell phones out there, so all calls needed to be at her home, either after work/before bed or after wake-up/before leaving for work---she was a self-employed electrician (and she even used me as a helper from time to time, to help me out financially when I didn’t have job). If I had ‘needs’ that came up outside those ‘call-times‘, I could always call any number of other women, as one of my sponsor’s first suggestions to me was to get at least two new phone numbers at each and every meeting I attended [and since I wasn’t working for about 6 months in my early recovery, and I was living out of my truck, I went to a LOT of meetings---after all, there was free coffee and free A/C (and Houston summers can be hot) LOLOL]. Personally, for me, I tell folks they can call me any time, but preferably not in the am, as I’m a night person (well, that’s kinda obvious here, now ain’t it....LOLOL). ...and of course, now, so many folks have cell phones, that just opens up more possibilities/times when calls can be made.

Now for the kicker.....my sponsor had one hard and fast rule. Yes, I know, folks tell you there are no rules in AA, and that’s the truth, but AA in an organization/a fellowship/a program.....and people/individuals have rules....like sponsors have rules, and support group personnel have rules, and accountability partners have rules.....even I have rules, tho few they may be....lolol ....and one rule that my sponsor and I, and most of my close friends in recovery, have; one rule on which we ALL agree....: ALWAYS call before you’ve picked up; NEVER call when you’ve been drinking/using; she, I, we will not speak with you, and in all likelihood, we may just hang up on you.

Now, back to the woman who ticked you off.....she may have a ‘rule’ very similar to this one; from what she said (her food was hot), it sounds like she didn’t want to be bothered (by you regardless of the circumstances, or perhaps because she could tell you were drunk....?). Absolutely, she could have handles it better, and so can you, and here‘s your chance; rise above; give her the benefit of the doubt; let it slide; water under the bridge.....etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Well....are you still awake, Katie, after all this....whew, I’m exhausted....lol I don’t know, or I don’t remember, if you’ve said when you’re going into the rehab, but whenever, I wish you all the best. Just remember, it’s all up to you; just take all the suggestions with an open mind (at least the suggestions from the staff...lol).....Shooooooot, next year, around this time we may be wishin’ you a happy one year anniversary......woooohoooo .....here’s looking’ at you kid.

NoelleR
Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks, NoelleR, I am still awake. I actually spoke with a couple of people about detox. I would go right now, but I have these two baby shih tzus to think of. I suppose I could put food out for four days, but I don't think that's a viable option at this point. I did tell them I might call back in a couple of hours, which is an hour and half at this point. What to do...what to do...my one GF here just had her husband diagnosed with aggressive cancer this a.m. I can't call on her. The other person isn't too hot on helping me out. So I am thinking I tough it out with no sleep, and go to my PCP tomorrow morning. One thing I KNOW, this thing is hell and dangerous. A person can detox safely over most substances, but not alcohol. So I am in a bit of a spot right now...Oh, and btw, just got off the phone with yet ANOTHER person to discuss detox, and I thank you very much for taking the time to write me that lengthy post.

Last edited by Katie09; 02-26-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Try and stay Calm, Katie!! I know You are Having a Rough Ride, Right Now!! I'm glad You are here, and not totally alone!!

That is true too, Detoxing from anything, might make you want to die, but detoxing from alcohol, can kill you!!

You need to see Your Doctor, as soon as You can!! Please don't put it off, for another Day!!

Hang In There!! You are Worth it!!

~Rob~