Notices

Thank God it was only a dream!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank God it was only a dream!

I'm sure many of you have had drinking dreams while your in recovery?! I usually remember my dreams right when I wake up and I used to have lots of bad ones. I must have jinx myself because a few days ago... I said to my Mother that I hadn't had any bad dreams lately about drinking, using , nor running from someone or something.

The last few nights I have had many. I have been sober for 119 days today, but in my dream I had gotten angry about something and decided to drink. (which in my drinking days, was something i did often... i would of course get mad at the littlest things to clarify to myself why I was drinking)
Once I realized what I did (in my dream) , I was so upset with myelf and couldn't stop crying. I stopped immediately, but quickly realized I had to start over at 1 day. I guess I really take pride in how far I've come and I was so disappointed in myself for giving into temptation. Fortunately it was a dream and I was so thankful when I woke up!

I have heard many times that your dreams reflect in some ways how you are feeling about something. Of course the person that I am is trying to analyze it and figure out what it means. I am very confident that I will not pick up a drink today, or in the near future.

I'm not getting this one for some reason. So for now... i guess I will just be thankful it was a dream and go on with my day... haha. But if anyone has any thoughts, I am curious to hear!

Happy Monday!

Shannon
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow Shannon! I had 3 nights straight of dreaming I had drank and it was SO real. I even felt that pang in my chest when I woke up only to realize it was a dream. I was so thankful! I'm a bit over 9 months sober and I have no idea why these dreams have "started" recently with me because during my waken moments I have not consciously been thinking of drinking. I don't have any desire to, but sub-consciously who knows. It is strange and no, I haven't figured it out either. Just thankful they're dreams and they give me another glimpse of what it was like. Don't want to return there.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would look at this as reminding yourself the awful consequences of having a drink for you! There have been a few threads on relapse and for me with my precious 4 months it isn't an option, i think that if i relapsed and slit my wrists then fair dos but taking a drink at a bar i mean cmon?!

I had a dream last night about money, i was at my mums and was trying to sell a house for 20k (in my dreams real estate is cheap) to get some money somehow my brother and i owned it! Anyways it ended up that i only had 3k and i was having to start over again! Been a vicious cycle in me whilst drinking making lots of money gambling and drinking it away back to nothing and repeat. So i take from the dream it is a reminder of why not to gamble anymore, man i could not do that start over again thing sober....shudder!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

I still have dreams I'm in elementary school again. I'll start waking up thinking "WTF am I doing back in Ms. Bextmullers class??"

But yeah I have those drinking dream, and probably will have them for a long long time from now. I don't mind really. It's kind of a pleasant surprise when you start coming to and thinking "Oh no!! I blew it!!" and then realize it was all just a dream. And then followed up with a big sigh of relief!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a drinking dream 2 nights ago. The only thing different about this dream than the others I have had is that I didn't give into the craving. In the dream I was at the party with like every party friend and relative I have ever had. I also felt that peer pressure as if I were a teen. In the end however I didn't drink. I woke up feeling pretty darn good.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post

I had a dream last night about money, i was at my mums and was trying to sell a house for 20k (in my dreams real estate is cheap) to get some money !
I know someone in Las Vegas that had this dream and they woke up and it wasn't a dream.

Dreams have nothing to do with reality. Every night I dream that I am getting some action.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Origianally posted by Fubarcdn:

Dreams have nothing to do with reality. Every night I dream that I am getting some action.
Really now Fubarcdn.... Often times we do dream about things that are out of our reach.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a dream last night that I drank with FUBAR
Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Seriously, I had the drinking dream last night also.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

haha... you guys are so funny! Thanks for the great responses!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

I drank a 5th in my dream and got drunk big time. When I woke up I felt like I had a hang over a little.
That was the only dream I had about drinking that I can remember since being sober 80 days today.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

While I've been off the booze I've never dreamed of drinking. Ironically the drinking related dreams I've had are when I've slept after a booze up and dreamed of doing things normally with normal energy, only to wake up and feel hungover and rough, which in turn makes me depressed!