Notices

Potential Employers - How Much To Disclose?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Potential Employers - How Much To Disclose?

I'm meeting with a couple of gals who run a gymnastic club later this afternoon to discuss the possibility of joining their staff. I'm not sure how much to disclose about my situation. In the past, I've had a tendency to tell people too much...

What's going on:

1) I have OCD/anxiety problems.

2) I have substance abuse issues but am almost 90 days sober.

3) I'm currently on temporary mental health disability.

Any feedback and/or experience would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

That is a tough question. I haven't been on a job interview for quite some time but when I was I tried to only present facts that would get me closer to getting a job offer. It is best to be honest of course but I never volunteered any info that may hurt my chances, like that traceable DUI I had.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Liverpool 19

Seeing as you are 90 days sober i would not tell them anything about your situation,your recovery is your business and close family and friends.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Also, although it is not on my record, I lost a job at a previous gym due to a DUI.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rigorous Honesty - if asked. You may be - if you've been out on disability. I don't think you have to have brutal honesty - If appropriate, you can say you are in recovery. Just answer all questions truthfully, to the extent needed.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Most of that stuff falls under the category of stuff that it's illegal for them to ask you about. If you have any convictions and they ask, you have to tell them that. You do NOT have to disclose any personal medical history and they CAN NOT ask you. If they refuse to hire you because of it, or fire you later because of it, they can be sued for discrimination and/or wrongful termination.

Tell them ONLY what they absolutely have to know as it relates to your ability to do the job for which you are applying.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TryingSoHard is absolutely right. Any medical condition, UNLESS it will not allow you to fullfill the required duties of the job description, is no-ones business but your own. AND illegal for an employer to ask. I just went through this with a family member that has a seizure disorder. Besides, who knows how long one will "have" any disorder. Who can predict the future of any one of us? Say nothing and do a fabtastic job! Best of luck to you.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

If this were an ordinary clock in/clock out job, I wouldn't even sweat it, either way. But this is the kind of job where you often become family with your co-workers, atleast in my experience. This is the closest thing I have to a passion, and I would do it for free. The nice thing is, I wasn't really looking for a job (wasn't sure if I was ready yet). I was just looking for a place to work out (adult class or open gym) and see if this almost 40 year old mistreated body might still be capable of any of it's old gymnastics skills. The director suggested getting me on staff as a substitute and for doing b-day parties, then I could work out at my convenience. So, really, any pressure is being applied by myself, and I'm very good at that!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I see where you're coming from DK, but trust me on this one. Save it for later. If you go work there and these people become like your second family and you feel a genuine, personal desire to trust them and confide in them - by all means, go for it. But as a potential employee? Nope. Just hang tight. I would seriously hate for it to come back and bite you in the butt when all you were trying to do was what you felt was the noble thing.

If there's something that will interfere with your ability to perform tasks specific to the job, disclose it. Otherwise I honestly think you're better saving it for later.

I know what you mean about being good at applying pressure to yourself!! I do that, too!! *hugs*
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Keep your mouth shut shut shut. Society frowns upon alcoholism. You may be used to admitting it to other people in your life but a future employer? No F*&&%king way man. People are not that sympathetic and understanding. It is really none of their biz. I don't think they are even allowed to ask you that stuff. Booze talk should not even be part of a job interview. I wouldnt even say the word. They can't even pull your medical records due to the new HIPPA laws. Good luck! and,... If they ask you? Lie through your teeth.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I completely agree with TSH.
No need to spill your guts out the gate.
Wait and see how things go. And if you can trust these people and feel you want or need to disclose this info. Then thats your decision. But otherwise. Why set yourself up for who knows what.
Some people have their own ideas about things and you dotn want to expose yourself to ignorance. Not saying thats what will happoen. But you never know what some peoples thoughts and beliefs are.
Thats just my opinion.
Good Luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey DK,

As a father of a competitive gymnast I was a bit torn about your question. As you know, it is a very dangerous sport and the coach plays a vital role in minimizing injuries. For that reason, my initial reaction was that I would not want an alchi spotting my daughter. Maybe if there were a couple of years of sobriety behind you but not at 90 days.

After reading what the job really is though, I think it is a great fit for you! No need to mention anything, just go for it!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree. No way. Employers look for reasons to screen people out. In this competitive market, if you tell them all this you are giving them a reason to screen you out. They could think you'll start drinking again or that your mental health issues will crop up and what if they had to pay you partial disability for missing work. No employer will willingly take this on. The only exception would be someone who deals with your issues, but even on the off chance someone were to be in the same boat, they are certainly not about to disclose this to you.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

What Katie said - that's exactly why it's illegal for employers to ask these questions.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Some employers require a pre-employment physical.... Doesn't sound like yours will. Even there... "Do you have a problem with drugs or alcohol". Well, no, you don't. You are in recovery.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by fugfuggy View Post
As a father of a competitive gymnast I was a bit torn about your question. As you know, it is a very dangerous sport and the coach plays a vital role in minimizing injuries. For that reason, my initial reaction was that I would not want an alchi spotting my daughter. Maybe if there were a couple of years of sobriety behind you but not at 90 days.
I'm pretty much just a recreational coach. I don't teach beyond back handsprings and single back flips. Lot's of rolls, cartwheels, and handstands... but I don't blame you.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You aren't required to disclose any issues you have pre-employment offer... if you are offered the job and it's part of a post employment offer physical/questionairre etc that EVERYONE has to complete, then you do.

I do this stuff for a living.. you are protected to SOME extent, but not as much as most people wrongly think. Don't volunteer information.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Some employers require a pre-employment physical.... Doesn't sound like yours will. Even there... "Do you have a problem with drugs or alcohol". Well, no, you don't. You are in recovery.
To say you're in "recovery" can imply a host of issues. Again, in this competitive market, why give an employer a reason to worry? There are plenty of people out there where an employer won't have to wonder what "recovery" means. Recovery from what? Cancer? Some other serious disease which if employed FT someday will raise insurance premiums? Cost them a bundle?

I respectfully really disagree with you.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've been a hiring manager and I wouldn't hire someone who voluntarily disclosed sober time or mental issues. Not that I would mind hiring someone in recovery or dealing with mental issues, but bring up that magnitude of a personal problem without provocation is a red flag for personal problems disrupting your performance.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with keeping quiet. After relationships develop you are free to share your history if you wish. Good Luck DK sounds like a great way to spend time and earn a few bucks!