Notices

I hate when that happens

Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hate when that happens

When we lose one. Someone came here last night crying out for help. Trying to help the frightened newcomers means the world to me and to my recovery. I tried to respond effectively, as did others. That person didn't keep posting, despite our efforts. I always wonder what I could have said different, maybe something that would have reached them and made them want to stay. It's happened to me quite a few times, a person I really care about shares just a little about their struggle, and then they are gone.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

I agree with you Hevyn and you were one of the first to reach out and help me and I am grateful to you. You sent me a PM and it really touched me that someone would bother to do that. Maybe you should do the same to that person as they may not even think about the post they made here.
It is also part of my therapy, right now the biggest part, to try to reach out and encourage newcomers.

I think we all remember that first post we made and the feeling we got when others posted their ebcouragement. This place is great and you are one of the ones that makes it this way.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I know who you're referring to. We can only do what we can..

She'll have to be ready for it.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're right, flutter. Fubar, now you've got my mascara running. Thank you for saying that. It helped.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

I had a tear too but I never wear mascara before the evening.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

I know who you are talking about too. You did the best you could. With respect, she was clearly, cleary intoxicated and probably wasn't even aware of what she was doing or saying. She will be back when she is ready and as always, this board will be here waiting with open arms and ready to help.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't you mean 'man'scara Fubarcdn?

I feel bad that one hasn't been back today as well. A real cry out for help it was. Maybe they'll be back on later, keep an ear out.

This has really helped me since last week. I thank you all.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

[QUOTE=masseyman;2080067]Don't you mean 'man'scara Fubarcdn?

If I put it on it would definitely be scary. I was so ugly that when I was born the doctor slapped my face. Rodney Dangerfield.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

I agree, when you are ready you will take a step.....I found this forum one night while I was considering quitting, meaning I was sloshed. I couldnt bring myself to post here till I was sober, not sure why. The point Im trying to make I guess is that just knowing this site was here and available I think helped me make my decision........ so you never know the impact you have......heads up guys....WE ARE ALL BEAUTIFULLY IMPERFECT (corny I know, but true)
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hevyn,

It's so great to reach out and try to help people.

Sadly, sometimes it just doesn't work, or doesn't seem to work. Who knows that what was said here last night, might have some effect on the poster later. Maybe a seed was planted.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks everyone. I'm so grateful to be in the company of such an amazing group of people.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

(((Hevyn)))

You are such a sweetheart!

How do you know that person hasn't been back? I know of two people here on SR who had logged in and shared when they were drinking or high, read what they wrote later, and rejoined with a different name. Think about that. It's hard enough for us when we first try to get into Recovery to come on here, and even though we are an invisible face and pick a screename that in no way can break our anonynimity (did I spell that right?) we have a hard time hitting that submit reply button. The individual you are referring to could very well be here right now, or read this later.

As addicts/alcoholics, we automatically assume the worst. This person could have disappeared to go to a meeting, be having computer problems and not able to let us know that he/she is ok, could be in treatment/detox right now. . . the possibilities are endless.

But just know that your words, I'm sure, have stayed in this individual's head and if they are still using, when they are ready, they will remember just how much love and understanding you, and everyone else here on SR showed them.

They will be back.

Big Hugs to you & everyone else who cares & shares,
Judy
Old 01-26-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I agree with Anna. I have no idea what or who you are referring to. But it happens. Unfortunately its part of all this thing called recovery.
You tried. Its always comforting that someone takes the time to try and care. Be proud of yourself for being one of those people.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

you never know what seed we plant, Hevyn - sometimes what we say clicks, sometimes maybe not....sometimes someone else reads what we write and we help someone else entirely.

We do what we can - and that's pretty amazing really

hugs
D
Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're right, other people could be helped even if the one we intended it for doesn't return. She did come back, though! I was gone all day and someone had kindly let me know she had posted again. I was afraid she might have forgotten what site she was on, but I heard from her and she said she's glad she found us.

Thanks everyone, I'm just a bit paranoid and hyper-sensitive.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

((((Joanie)))) You have such a big heart, my girl, and I love ya for it! Keep in mind, like many said, that tho we may never know for sure, our words may be a seed that flowers into beautiful sobriety in someone else, whether we ever see that flower or not. Personally, I like to think of HP weaving a crown of flowers for you....one for every person you've reached out to here...and when you have that crown placed on your head some day a long time from now, you will know how much you touched each and everyone of us! Love Jomey
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you SerenityQueen. I could not have said that better. Your wisdom in these matters is much appreciated by this alcoholic.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

I'm just truly blown away by all the posts that you guys left!!! All of you! I have no idea who you've been referring to, but just reading all the uplifting, compassion, love & deep care for one another is bringing tears to my eyes! And yes, my mascara is running!

I met a gal here who also lives where I do, a godsend. However, when I called, and we were more than elated to have found eachother (2 1/2 miles away)... our plan was to hook up for coffee the following day. I called, no answer or machine. Kept trying. To no avail. A few days later she finally answered and I could tell she wasn't doing well and I asked if I could come over. No. Called another time. No, and she admitted she "wasn't doing well". She called in the middle of the night days later and I didn't hear the phone (2am). Called her as soon as I got the msg. No answer for days now. I've left countless PM's, nothing back!

Have decided all I can do is pray for her. I'll continue to PM her, but know I've got to quit pushing myself towards her as she's not ready to grab my hand. The sad thing is, I totally understand where she's coming from and know how alone she's feeling right now and she doesn't have to be! This disease is an a** kicker and just squelches the life right out of us! Keep my friend in your prayers please... that she comes back here especially and reaches out! Thank you!:praying
Old 01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh Hevyn, you are such a sweetie! I cant tell you how much your posts have helped me, you will never know. You are soo loved here, I hope you know that, I look up to you soo much. I just know that newcomers (like myself) get a lot out of your posts. You are very special!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, I am sorry I don't know who you were talking about either, as I took the night off. I do think a seed was probably planted, but as they say in AA "it takes what it takes." Good on y'all that reached out!