Notices

Returning to Normal Drinking

Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

Ah but Iggy that wasn't the original point

There are normal drinkers out there sure, I've got friends who go out and have 2 drinks all night and then don't drink for a month.

The Original point was can an alcoholic return to "normal" drinking, the answer to that as we all know... is no
Old 01-24-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great thread Fizz. I have tried Normal time and time again, It just cannot be done, not by me anyway.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I know people who are " normal " drinkers too Iggy, my wife is one as well. She mentioned at tea time tonight that she might open a bottle of wine as she fancied a glass, she hasn't got round to it yet though.

Hasn't got round to it ! Now can you honestly say that you have ever fancied a drink, there was nothing to stop you having a drink but by 3 hours later you hadn't got round to it, Christ, I'd have been on the 2nd bottle by now.

I'm very partial to Turkish Delight, quite enjoy a piece in front of the TV of an evening, I reckon I'm a pretty normal turkish delight liker though, don't spend hours obsessing over eating it, worrying I'm eating too much, then obsessing over not eating, worrying if I start eating it again that I won't be able to stop.

I just can't deal with alcohol the way I can deal with Turkish delight though !

I don't know your story Iggy, it is possible that for you returning to drinking on a normal basis is possible, please don't lose heart and rule it out for yourself completly, think its important you have a long period of sobriety to work it out for yourself though, nobody joins here for no reason !

We all do this journey on our own, with differing destinations, I too used to think I could go back to it one day, the facts though for myself speak for themselves.

Ok I may have not had a drink for 8 months but I am still a regular visitor on here, mainly cos personally it does me good to help me remember its important I don't drink. I can't return, heck what would I want to nurse one Guiness for an hour for anyways !

Welcome to SR Iggy, hope you find your answers here.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Man, I don't know if I can either...right now I know that it's pathetic that I tell myself every day that I need to stop/cut down, and can't even do it for two straight days. With my track record I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no', I can't ever be a 'normal'/'moderate' drinker - you're absolutely right, if I think to myself "I'd like a drink" and there's a bottle in the house, it's going to be about 15 seconds between thought and drink.

I may someday find out the answer to this question is 'yes', I may find out it's 'no', and I may never know the answer because I may never drink again...

All I know is it's Day 3 right now and I'm not going to find out today...
Old 01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Once we accept that fact that we can not drink normal now, and never will be able to, again, we can free ourselves from the delusion and the obsession. Today, like others mentioned up thread, I view alcohol as poison. Wishing I could once again introduce it back into my system is insane and something I have no desire to enter into. I'm now able to see the insanity of it all.