Notices

Why I drink - I have no hope (it feels like)

Old 01-21-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Wink I agree With All Mariposa Has Said.

I Agree With All Mariposa Has Said.We all have felt useless, worthless, and depressed. If maintaining sobriety was easy, thee wouldn't be anyone on this site, and life would be great. Have you seeked medical assistance? if not you should. That's where I believe you should start. Sober since February1, 2006. Keep coming to this site it's like going to AA eveyday and there are many that can help you get through this time. We've all been there.
Originally Posted by Mariposa18 View Post
Katie~ Don't ever think that your life means nothing! You mean something, you may not feel that way right now, but you do. You said that you don't believe not drinking is going to make things any better...but continuing to drink can sure make them a heck of a lot worse, right?

I can tell you that everyday that passes you will feel just a little better. Everyday without a drink, you will think more clearly. A lot of times those feelings are so overwhelming we want to drink to shut them up, but it's getting through those moments without a drink and working through the pain that help us heal. You are doing so well by coming here, by acknowledging how you are feeling, by trying to work through it. THAT is taking control of your life and THAT will get you sober.

I'm not sure if anyone asked this the other day, but have you thought of AA? I see you said you have a couple of friends to lean on, but from what I gather for people who don't have much of a support system AA has been a blessing.

If that is not something you want to do, just stay here. Read through posts and ask questions as much as you want. You are NOT complaining, we KNOW how you feel!!!! We also know you can get better. No Sweetie, it's not easy, but your LIFE is worth it~
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Katie,
I hope you are doing well today. We are all here to help you for as long as you need. Your burden is our burden because that what friends are for. Keep posting for as long as you need and don't worry about us getting tired of it. We won't.
Peace to you.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Hi Katie,
I hope you are doing well today. We are all here to help you for as long as you need. Your burden is our burden because that what friends are for. Keep posting for as long as you need and don't worry about us getting tired of it. We won't.
Peace to you.
Thanks Ken. Emotionally I am doing better today, but then I am going to see my Dr today to face the music, as it were. I don't want to ruin my health over this and hope it's not too late. For some reason I've been thinking I can get away with drinking like a fish, like it's never going to catch up with me. But I know this is just a big fat lie I tell myself. I've spent too many years doing this and I simply have to change my ways. I can't say I'll never pick up another drink (although that IS the plan), but when I tell my Dr. today just HOW MUCH I've been drinking he is going to tell me to stop. I remember going in there some years back as I'd broken my toe in a blackout - not one of my more shining hours. But I know we all have our stories. I've just created this home-bound prison where I drink alone and a lot and what a waste. Ugh.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Oh, and I'm just so grateful to all of you for being out there for me. This is the MOST compassionate forum on the web and your support is really overwhelming.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Katie,

I can tell you when I went to talk to my doctor about my drinking, it felt like I was actually pouring out all of the stress and all of the burden I had been keeping in. She really listened and was very compassionate in telling me what I should do. She was able to get me some info and some meds that helped with some of the withdrawal symptoms. Everyone's withdrawal is different and you definately want some medical supervision. We are always here for you and God Bless.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Thanks, LaDita, my biggest question at this point is how long will it be before the depression lifts? I am on medication although not the full dosage but just started recently.
Any medication will work A LOT better if you stay away from alcohol. That includes anti-depressants like SSRIs which pretty much dont work at all if the person is drinking while taking them.