Notices

Hi, new here, HELP please?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, new here, HELP please?

Hi, everybody just joined up today. I've had a big problem with binge drinking mostly over the past seven years but when I look back I can see it started much earlier than this. I've also smoked cannabis, practically every day for the past 14 years. I'm now so sick and fed up of it all and I can see where it has caused complete chaos in my life, due to things I've done when drunk or not done when stoned. Where do I start? I had my last alcohol binge at the weekend and haven't been to work since ( phoned in sick due to hangover, yep sweats, shakes, paranoia the works) going back tomorrow though. Please where do I start? Finding this overwhelming at the moment
Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SummerSkye View Post
I'm now so sick and fed up of it all and I can see where it has caused complete chaos in my life, due to things I've done when drunk or not done when stoned.
Welcome. You have started by just coming here. You have admitted that the alcohol and drugs have and are causing you problems. You have admitted that you are fed up with them and imply that you are ready to quit. These are all great revelations and self reflections that you have came to reckon with.

Try to find some local support groups or maybe even see if there is any counseling that is available near you.

Congrats on your admission and your strength and vision to come here.

Stay strong and connected.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Summer, you have found a wonderful site for support. Start one day at a time. As Mac said, find some local support groups and keep visiting, reading and posting here.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR SummerSkye!!! Admitting that you have a problem is a courageous first step! Congratulations!!!

Do you have any friends you can talk to for support? Maybe go see your doctor for guidance? Check into a local AA group or other support group? Just a few ideas for you.

We are here to support you however we can! Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Welcome to SR, I felt exactly like you -- overwhelmed. Sounds like you're detoxing with the symptoms you listed, the only remedy for that is not to drink again. I used to be a binge drinker as well. I desparately want to change because no good comes of drinking/getting high, the consequences are too much. So, I threw away anything that reminds me of drinking in my house (I can't watch t.v. shows where people are drinking either -- it's a trigger) and came here for support.

Glad you're here
Old 01-15-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

Expect confusion. Be ready for it because it is a part of everyone's recovery. Even with the best advice, strategies and determination, doubt and confusion is inevitable. I'm saying that not to scare you, but to let you know that your uncertainties are part of the process, so don't be at all discouraged. It doesn't mean you aren't doing the right thing or doing it well.

Most people seem to start by going to those moments right before you use. When do you use? Why then? Because that's where you want a plan in place. Addictions are habits. They have a regularity, and that's what makes them beatable. If the bottle and the bong break into your house at 10pm, at 10pm have your proverbial sledgehammer ready.

Otherwise: don't be discouraged if it feels like slow motion, "one day at a time" is truth; be good to yourself; seek help as you need it, too many of us learn only after a lot of lost battles that swallowing your pride is not as bad as it seems. Have a smile for being willing.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Glad you are here. We are all in the same boat and we try to help each other. I am also a January joiner and there is a thread for all the Jan joiners to post. A lot of us post our thoughts, feelings and progress each day. Feel free to join us as we would love to have you. The more the merrier so to speak.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Summer and congratulations on your decision.

Read around and post any questions you may have.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, everybody just joined up today. I've had a big problem with binge drinking mostly over the past seven years but when I look back I can see it started much earlier than this. I've also smoked cannabis, practically every day for the past 14 years. I'm now so sick and fed up of it all and I can see where it has caused complete chaos in my life, due to things I've done when drunk or not done when stoned. Where do I start? I had my last alcohol binge at the weekend and haven't been to work since ( phoned in sick due to hangover, yep sweats, shakes, paranoia the works) going back tomorrow though. Please where do I start? Finding this overwhelming at the moment
welcome!!!

Start at google, type in AA Scotland. And keep coming back, you'll find a lot of love and support here.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for your support I know everybody here is in the same boat and it is giving me comfort. I am just sooo scared, basically for the last fifeteen years I've either been drunk, hungover or stoned, the few times I've not had either a drink or smoke I've climbed the walls. I want to cut both of them completely out of my life but not sure the best way to go about it, one at a time or both at once? I see the binge drinking as the biggest problem in my life which has instant harmful awful outcomes but I think the toking has an equally bad insidious effect, its almost like acute and chronic harm. So has anybody stopped both at once? This is what I really wnat to do. Sorry if I'm rambling
Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for your support I know everybody here is in the same boat and it is giving me comfort. I am just sooo scared, basically for the last fifeteen years I've either been drunk, hungover or stoned, the few times I've not had either a drink or smoke I've climbed the walls. I want to cut both of them completely out of my life but not sure the best way to go about it, one at a time or both at once? I see the binge drinking as the biggest problem in my life which has instant harmful awful outcomes but I think the toking has an equally bad insidious effect, its almost like acute and chronic harm. So has anybody stopped both at once? This is what I really wnat to do. Sorry if I'm rambling
Not at once, but I've been addcited to heroin, smoked just about everything you could except crack, hallucinogens, you name it, whatever it took to stop me feeling whatever it was I was feeling at that particular moment. Not forgetting my first love and doc, alcohol. Alcohol withdrawal can be deadly, so I would urge you to seek the advice of a professional.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree about pot being insidious, that is the word I always use too.

I don't know about the best way to tackle stopping two things....
Old 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. Lots of support and understanding here. Best advice is what you have to do anyway: take it one day at a time. I've got six months of one-day-at-a-times. Just stay sober for today.

Do you have AA meetings where you live, or close by? AA is a good place to get support and the benefit of others' experiences. SR is a great site. Any time of the day or night someone is here, someone's always home.

Sobriety rocks!:ghug3
Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dismember

Are you familiar with the concept of "wedding jitters"?

Never been married myself, but I hear that a lot of people get terrified shortly before a wedding. When my best friend was getting married I recall she grabbed a hold of me and begged me to drive her to Canada. But naturally she regards that day as the best day of her life.

Sobriety still scares the wits out of me sometimes. Other times it's my silver lining on days when I'm a neurotic, kooky mess. If anything went right for me today it's that I went to AA and I haven't drank--the rest was pretty much poo.

And ramble as much as you like, you're in the company of equally-insane friends
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

This is a great place to start!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Again, WELCOME!! You have come to the right place. As has been suggested, get some help detoxing. Alcohol withdrawal (D.T.s) can be fatal by seizure. It's scary giving up a way of living, regardless of how bad, for something we feel is better, but unknown. Fear keeps us enslaved to something which seeks to destroy us, fast or slow that's the end result. Get to meetings of your choice, suggest you try as many as possible in the beginning, find one you are comfortable with. It's all there for you, take advantage of all of it.........hang in there and don't quit trying!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everybody and thanks just wanted to let you all know that I haven't had a drink sincel last weekend and I'm NOT going to. Last night was ok ( apart from the insomnia) and I'm feeling a lot better physically , no more sweats or shakes at least. Finding it really hard just now, kept myself busy today, long walk with my dog and rearranged my bedroom ( found old booze under bed that I didn't know was there, which I threw out) just feeling lost just now, don't know what to do with myself but I'm not going to drink. What does everybody else do on a Saturday night now? I just feel like crying!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Welcome, Summer! That's great you are recognizing problems and are sober.

When I quit the pot, I couldn't sleep well.

Good luck to you and hope we see more of you around this supportive place.