Notices

Having a really rough time today

Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Having a really rough time today

Today has been just horrible. I've really been a mess. I was so optimistic about being my new sober life until today. I know it's imperative that I do not drink. I just can't stand feeling this way...it hit me like a ton of bricks because of some family crap that went on... and I realized just because I stop trying to drown out all of my negative emotions and memories they are still there. I went to the grocery store today and it seemed like everyone in line had beer or wine in their cart. I hate it, just hate it that I'm not normal and no way can I have any or go out to a bar and forget all of the stuff tormenting me today. I was supposed to go to a meeting tonite but you know how some things are beyond your control. But I'm trying, this is just miserable...

I just needed to get that out.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Early sobriety is hard, no question about that.

I found that I chose to stay away from certain people so that I wouldn't feel upset and be tempted to drink. How about making a choice to stay out of the family issues for a little while, until you feel stronger?

It's great that you came here to post about this and I know you can get through this.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

PrettyPoison,

Family crap always exists just as you say. But don't worry about that stuff. You, and me, have something more important that we need concern ourselves with. Just breathe all that other stuff out and breathe in a new beginning. When I get the way you were today I just stop and think about getting back to zero. I think about the Serenity Prayer at these times. I am sorry but I don't know if you are religious or not. So in light of that I will leave it up to you to find out what it is. Either way, I hope that peace replaces your troubles.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Its tough dealing with life without that security blanket.
But you can do it. Just hang in there. And you get stronger the more you do.
Forget what others are buying. You dont know if they are normal or not.
Those same people might have problems too. They might be right in the same boat as you. You dont know.
But I know what you mean. It sucks. Like feeling left out or something.
All you need to worry about is you.
And be glad that you are trying.
Just take it easy and keep doing the right thing.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'd like to congratulate you for telling on your disease!

What came to mind as I was reading your post is one of my favorite sayings that I have repeated to myself so many times over the past 3 1/2 years, "This Too Shall Pass

Bottom line, did you drink? Early Sobriety is hard, there's no doubt about it. Whatever you do, don't drink. Find some other outlets for all of the emotions that have come flooding back because you're not numbing them with alcohol. Sharing what you're feeling here on SR is fantastic. I wish I had a computer when I first got sober. I journaled alot the first several months of my Recovery. I think it's a great outlet and what's wonderful about it is that you can go back tomorrow and read what you wrote and you will see that you made it through it and usually I came to find that things that had me feeling so squirely the day before just weren't that powerful anymore.

Make other plans for Fri and Sat nights. Do you have any friends who don't want to go to a bar either but wouldn't mind catching a movie? Of shopping? Use the money that you would have spent on alcohol on something to pamper yourself. Go get yourself some shower gels and bubble baths along with body lotions and sprays and spend the evening in your own make shift spa at home. To me, there's no better reward for another day of not drinking than a long, hot bubble bath with a good book, scented candles and a Diet Pepsi. Deep condition your hair and be one of the women who shave their legs in the winter! lol

Feel free to PM me anytime. I've been where you are. Families can be a big trigger for a lot of people.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel you! I am in the same boat! I'm really struggling today also. Thanks so much for posting this and "telling on yourself", I just did it too. We can do it!!!

:ghug3
Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi Pretty. I am making a goofy face that would make you laugh. Kinda look like George bush when he makes one of his stupid comments. Just laugh and carry on.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey pretttypoison

Before I quit drinking, I was always complaining about how Pennsylvania doesn't allow grocery stores to sell beer and wine. Now I am so glad, if I stay away from the state stores and beer distributors I don't have to see it in shopping carts and on store shelves. I bet that's tough, standing in line, trying to stay sober and happy, and having it all around you.

I'll be out of state on a ski trip soon, I hope it doesn't bother me too much when we shop for supplies... Maybe I'll just get numb to it.

Hang in there... If you can't make it to a meeting, SR is always open !!

Mark
Old 01-17-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It really is hard to learn to deal with disasters and stress like family. Without your normal coping methods. I think it's really good that you posted this and asked for help. Maybe try journaling about what happened. Just let it out of you so you can't dwell.

But no matter what remember that despite everything you did not drink. You're stronger than you think you are.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey PP

sometimes all you can do is hang on to 'one day at a time' and 'no matter what, I will not drink today'

get sober, stay sober and everything else tends to fall into place - even family LOL

Take away our crutch, and all of us learn to walk - it gets easier
D
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by prettypoison View Post
I went to the grocery store today and it seemed like everyone in line had beer or wine in their cart. I hate it, just hate it that I'm not normal and no way can I have any or go out to a bar and forget all of the stuff tormenting me today. I was supposed to go to a meeting tonite but you know how some things are beyond your control. But I'm trying, this is just miserable...

I just needed to get that out.
I'd suggest a different store to buy food if, at all possible.

I didn't get a look at what others posted but, what good will a drink do?
If, life's going badly, a drink will make it worse. If, life is going good, a drink will make it worse.

BTW

you are normal. Normal people go thru this, they just don't get drunk over it.

Life will get better by not drinking. You'll still have problmes but, you won't compound the problem by drinking.