Notices

I Need Help

Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Need Help

My God, I can't believe alcohol has beaten me again. It is my master.

So alone, so afraid. I have tried to quit before but it always gets me back. Alcoholism will not stop until it kills me-it seeks my death.

I know this and yet I still do it. I've never been so terrified about my situation as I am today. I don't even know why I post here-maybe this time I will have the guts to quit. If you are reading this and you are sober....just know that I wish I was you.

Last edited by CarolD; 12-26-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Corrected Title
Old 12-26-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Wharf rat,
Thank you for that. I am happy to be sober today. It is good to be reminded where I have come from and where I could be.
Please know that there is a solution. For me it is AA.
We do recover.
Please keep trying.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
If you are reading this and you are sober....just know that I wish I was you.
You can be, Wharf Rat. If you want to quit drinking, the first thing you have to do is quit drinking. There's help with the rest.

If you've got an internet connection, bet you can find an AA meeting in your area.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wharf Rat, that was me exactly - one year ago. Yet here I sit, sober. I would have never thought it possible. I was a heavy drinker for over 25 yrs. & when I reached the conclusion you have - that it was going to kill me - I summoned up the courage to stop dancing with the devil. SR has been the reason my attitude has changed. It took months for me to feel really encouraged, but I knew no matter what, I couldn't pick up again because I probably wouldn't make it back out alive. (I have nothing left to fight with physically, and that plays a part in it.) Stay with us and let our experiences help you get well again. It can be done, and I'm proof. Love, Joanie
Old 12-26-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You're likely right. Only you can change your direction, with help from others.

I hope you find strength here, maybe it will encourage you to seek it in other areas of your life and support system as well
Old 12-26-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found for me, it had nothing to do with guts or self-will. Instead, I reached a point of total and complete surrender, that I was indeed completely powerless over my alcoholism.

From that point on, I became teachable, and learned from those who had been where I had been.

:ghug :ghug
Old 12-26-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

WharfRat, I am glad you are realizing what your problem is doing to you. Lots of people here have been far worse off than me into their DOC, and they are sober today. They are walking examples that sobriety can be a reality if you want it to be.

Also, I know there are alot of meetings in the Louisville area.

I wish you the best. Much love.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont know much about the using side of drinking.
But I do my drug use has had me feeling just like that. It still does sometimes.
I am not clean but I feel for you.
All I can do is keep trying and hope it doesnt get me before I decide enough is really enough.
I hope you at least keep trying.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One year ago I admitted I had a serious problem and needed to quit drinking completely. From last December til July I quit and relapsed, quit and relapsed, over and over til I felt I was a lost cause. I finally 'got it right' and have been sober for nearly six months now. You can do it! If I can stop drinking for good, so can you. But you've got to take the first step: admitting you are powerless over alcohol and that your life will be unbearably unmanageable if you keep drinking.

Best way to quit, for me, anyway, is just to not drink today. Quit for one day at a time. Just for today I won't drink. Do'nt worry about yesterday or tomorrow - just don't drink FOR TODAY.

You CAN get and stay sober, one day at a time. Try it. Give it your best effort. You can do this.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Thank you for the reminder. You CAN get sober, too. It can start today. All you have to do is one day at a time.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You sound defeated-do you think you are? Recovery is a WE program, but you have to be willing to go to any length to get it. Are You?
SR is a great source of support, this alcoholic also needs the fellowship of AA. Meetings are a great recovery tool for me, have your tried it? It is a great support group, not a religion group for me. Maybe consider trying it out.
I hope the best for you and that you discover recovery is a great way of life. LOL
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's always a good idea to have an honest discussion with your
doctor about your drinking. You may require a medically
supervised de tox. Be both safe and sober...

Many of us quit because alcohol was messing up our lives.
I found my life improved immensle by using God and AA.

Welcome back to SR...
Old 12-26-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi. I'm only an hour from Louisville and can hook you up with some people in recovery there.

Let me know if you'd like some connections

Peace,
Missybuns