Notices

My First AA Meeting

Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Cool My First AA Meeting

I went to my first AA meeting last night with my good friend who has also quit drinking. Since he quit a little over a month ago, he's been to several meetings so it was nice to go with him. On this night, he was supporting me. We went to an open speaker meeting at a church in the town I live in, not far from my house. The chance of seeing somebody I know or of being recognized by somebody who knows me was heightened because of this choice, but I went anyway. It was actually really nice. People were friendly, there were good snacks, I enjoyed the stories told by the various speakers. I think I can take a little something from everyone who had the courage to speak and I almost raised my hand to speak but held off, for now.

I got a copy of the Big Book and when they said "...anyone with two months..." I went up in front of the room (about 30 people) and got my two month chip!! People clapped and I got some nice handshakes, it was really very emotional for me. It wasn't scary, or dreadful, or overwhelming as is the case sometimes for newcomers from what I've read. It was actually humbling, and enlightening. I'm glad I went with over months under my belt and not two days. I'm glad I chose to go of my my own free will and that the choice was not made for me. I'm glad I could go with my best friend.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only meeting I still go to regularly is my home group. I get my chips from them and it's a wonderful boost to my sobriety. I've decided to make a clock from my chips, when I have twelve of them. One of those clock kits where you buy the clock works and decorate/make the face yourself.

Glad you enjoyed the meeting!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

2 months is a good start on your new life...

What helped me in early AA recovery was to consider
meetings were classrooms for sober living.
The more I went...the quicker I learned..

I hope you and your friend will continue to attend.
Recovery Really Rocks!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Congrat's on 60 days!

You reminded me.. I still have a 30 day chip to pick up, lol.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I have a neighbor whom I have suspected for a while of having problems with alcohol. He looks run down, kinda like my idea of what a male alcoholic looks like. He's friendly enough, lives alone, keeps to himself really, and never seems to have a job. In a way, seeing him like that was one of the motivating factors in my decision to quit drinking. I didn't want to end up like that, with that perpetually pickled look. Anyway, I saw him walking down the street the other day so I turned around and offered him a ride. Lately I've been more inclined to do things like that, helpful things. I knew he lost his license recently and assumed it was for drunk driving. I asked him where he was going and he told me he was going to the same church I had just gone to for my first AA meeting. I told him I was just there a few nights ago and I suspected I knew why he was going there, for a meeting. He asked me why I was there and I told him it was to attend an AA meeting.

Then there we were in the church parking lot talking about it.

He was telling me his story, and I was kinda telling him mine. He has been sober 12 years and according to him, he lost his license not for drinking, but because he had a seizure behind the wheel. It was nice to get the truth and to share some truth. It was one of those moments that seemed more than just a coincidence that it would happen like that. Almost like it was meant to happen.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Very cool!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

That's a great story, and I'm glad you're seeking support for your recovery.

I think that keeping an open mind, and searching for answers will continue to help you with your recovery.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I am keeping an open mind and I have read through most of the Big Book, and I feel like I can take a lot from that book, even though I don't think the institution of AA would even consider me a "real" alcoholic as they seem to define it in the book, but probably just a "heavy problem drinker" or what I think they called a Step 1 drinker. Does not matter to me though what my label is, or what they would call me. What matters is how I saw myself and I was disgusted with myself as a drinker.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

getr345, somewhere in the 12&12, there's the dilemma of what to do with the "high bottom drunk." What if you haven't lost everything? The general suggestion is for us who have gone before to raise that bottom and whack you with it (with love, of course).

Doesn't matter if you're not a low-bottom like the first one hundred (who wrote or gave input on the book) were. Your bottom is yours, and if you can identify based upon what you've read in "The Doctor's Opinion," you qualify.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-17-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Something else I learned from reading the Big Book is how fortunate I am to have a best friend like I do. My friend who quit drinking when he heard I did is who I am referring to and at first, I thought that I was helping him more by doing it first and setting the example, but now I realize that he is actually helping me more by being so willing and able to accept the help I offered to him though my own attempt at sobriety. I realize that not everyone is so successful when they try to help another alcoholic as a part of their own recovery. And I did not realize how important it is as a part of recovery to be able to reach out and help another alcoholic.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I have a wonderful home group that I just love. I only can get to one weekly meeting regularly, though. So, I haven't met as many people there as I might have.

It doesn't seem to matter though. Every single time I go, I am embraced with love and affection. And I frequently run into people who recognize me from the meeting. Even though I don't recognize them a lot of the time!

They always identify themselves by asking if I'm a friend of Bill W.'s. I just love that! We act like family. Sometimes, I feel closer to them - almost perfect strangers - than I do to my own family! Just from the acceptance, understanding, and genuine affection that they exude.

When I read your posts, Getr345, I am so happy for you. Having a good home group is a really valuable thing. And congratulations on your 2 months of sobriety.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"Each One, Reach One"
The foundation of AA.

It's an awesome experiennce
Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm always so pleased to hear someone has had such a positive experience with AA. Too often newcomers focus on the negatives reported by a very few.

It was one of those moments that seemed more than just a coincidence that it would happen like that. Almost like it was meant to happen.
I believe everything happens for a reason. I was on a tour of Europe, and met an 18 year-old girl in Dublin, Ireland. My luggage had AA bumper stickers all over it, and she recognized me as a recovering alcoholic like herself. It was really cool.

As for meeting people in AA rooms, I realize they're there because either they or someone close to them is an alcoholic. Oh...I've also met people I used to drink with...and, it's great to know they, too, are seeking recovery. Good luck to you on your continued sobriety!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

As I was sitting in the church parking lot chatting with him, I kept thinking to myself, is he supposed to be (or is he destined to be) my AA sponsor? Is this how I'm supposed to find my sponsor like this, when I didn't even think I was specifically looking for one? I know in the movies this is how it would happen...
Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nice to hear your story. Went to my first meeting last night. It was hard to go through the door. To admit to myself and others that I had a problem that I couldn't control by myself. The meeting and the people were great. It was much easier/better than I imagined it would be. I'll be going back regularly because I already feel the power of the group in me. I got on this forum to learn more and I think it'll serve to help me on the days I can't get to a meeting.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

He has been sober 12 years and according to him, he lost his license not for drinking,
Well...this isn't the movies...but, the Higher Power (which I choose to call God) does work in mysterious ways. It may be that you and your neighbor have crossed paths for a reason...you have transportation, he does not. With that number of years, I'm sure he knows a lot of the meetings, and wouldn't mind showing you around. This would be an added incentive for both of you to get to meetings.

My suggestion would be to ask him if he'd be willing to sponsor you. If he accepts...all well and good. If he declines, don't feel rejected...he could have perfectly legitimate reasons. But, at least you'll have made a good AA friend, and you can keep looking for a sponsor. I hope it works out well for both of you.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is nice to hear that others have a good first AA experience. My first was okay, but it was when I found these meetings I go to now is the only way I stay sober. It is beyond my control.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

TNguy ...
Glad your here with us...Welcome!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

About sponsorship....

In most meetings...on the free literature rack....
is the official AA guideline

"Questions and Answers on Sponsorship"

I ask my sponsees to read it with me
before we begin to work together....

I suggest you read that before finding a sponsor.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

that is great news getr345!!! 60 days is a great deal and you are doing well, good for you and your friend for the support.
Keep Going Back!!!
JT