Notices

My First AA Meeting

Old 12-19-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by j0hn0than1964 View Post
that is great news getr345!!! 60 days is a great deal and you are doing well, good for you and your friend for the support.
Keep Going Back!!!
JT
Thanks. I called him last night just to say HI see how he was doing and when he answered his cell phone, it sounded like he was at a loud party and he told me that he was. He was in the middle hours of his work XMAS party and he told me that people had been offering him drinks and asking him to drink with them. He told me he was doing good and not drinking, staying strong. In a way, I felt like his unofficial "sponsor" in that moment, calling maybe at just the right time to get his mind straight if there was even the slightest thought of having a drink. It was a quick call but I'm glad I made it and I'm sure he got through the rest of the party OK. I hope he did.

Last edited by getr345; 12-19-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getr345 View Post
In a way, I felt like his unofficial "sponsor" in that moment, calling maybe at just the right time to get his mind straight if there was even the slightest thought of having a drink.
Sponsorship is a 2 way street. My sponsor has often told me that *I* help *HIM* stay sober. He says even cases where his sponsee picks up and starts drinking again helps him stay sober.

I have never sponsored anyone, but I have worked with a few people and I can see how this helps maintain sobriety.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Talking

]I went to my first AA meeting last night with my good friend who has also quit drinking.

Hey fellow Metallica Fan. Many good friends are quitting the bottle. I've got 19 months under my belt. If James Hetfield can fight and it quit, so can we...

Old 12-21-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by OnRecoveryRoad View Post
Hey fellow Metallica Fan. Many good friends are quitting the bottle. I've got 19 months under my belt. If James Hetfield can fight and it quit, so can we...
Agreed.

As far as sobriety & recovery is concerned, he is very much my inspiration and my role-model.