Trip coming up... kinda nervous about it

Old 12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If your Mom asks you...."Let's have a drink"

"No thanks....I'm allergic to alcohol..makes me itch"

End of problem...you don't need to go into any
long detailed history.

You have fought so hard for your sobriety...
please keep in focus and enjoy NYC.

Yes! You Can!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You are doing so good and Girl 63 days is fantastic!!!! I agree, saying simply "No thanks, I quit" should be sufficient but it so seldom is.

You can do it, you've proven that to yourself so far! Keep it up and I agree, don't open that darn Pandora's Box!!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Ok, this is it. My flight takes off at 8:30 tomorrow morning. I am SUPER STRESSED AND FRUSTRATED with my mom right now... we're not even there yet and she's doing everything she can to make things as complicated and difficult as possible. I keep telling myself to just take a deep breath and let it go. I hope I can do that for 4 solid days (and part of a 5th day!).

To top it all off, when I get home I have a humongous dental appointment the next morning. That might not sound like much to y'all, but I have an IMMENSE fear of the dentist. As in seriously. Some people are claustrophobic, some people are afraid of heights, some people are afraid of snakes... I am afraid of the dentist. I will be sedated (conscious sedation, but still sedated) and they're doing everything all in one visit so it will be DONE and OVER after that morning.. but I am freaking out.

Give me strength to make it through the next 6 days!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

be thinking of ya,TSH
YOU CAN DO THIS

D
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I'll have my laptop with me. :bounce Hopefully I'll get to check in at least in the evenings.

Thanks Dee!!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi y'all...

Well, I just thought I'd let you know that the trip is over and I'm back home. And I'm wrapping up day 69 of sobriety. There were definitely times when it was hard... like last night at dinner when my mom ordered the "special" martini at Tavern on the Green... it was some fancy berry-infused martini and as soon as the waiter poured it in the glass the smell of vodka smacked me in the face like a brick. My first thought was, "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that smells good!" and then I started to panic. I almost got up and left the table for just a minute, to recompose myself, but instead I just sipped on my iced tea and tried to remind myself why I need to stay away from that poison.

During my trip, I decided to tell one of my very good friends about my problem. She is a very heavy drinker (I actually wouldn't be surprised to one day find out she is addicted, but that's another story) and we've partied together on several occasions. She is a very special person in my life and she is very important to me, and if I go visit her again soon like I want to (she's in Canada) then it would be VERY awkward if she was not aware that I quit drinking. So, I came clean and laid it all out and told her pretty much everything. She was pretty darned surprised to hear that I quit because I can't control it, but she was very supportive and thankful that I told her. She actually said that she could relate to a lot of what I was saying, and that she had done similar things or had similar experiences sometimes. Anyway, it felt good to tell someone else who I love, and to get their support in return.

Tomorrow morning is my huge, scary dentist appointment. I'll be pretty much passed out and loopy on some really strong medication, but will check in on Wednesday for sure. Y'all be good and take care.

Love,
TSH
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
That might not sound like much to y'all, but I have an IMMENSE fear of the dentist. As in seriously. Some people are claustrophobic, some people are afraid of heights, some people are afraid of snakes... I am afraid of the dentist. I will be sedated (conscious sedation, but still sedated) and they're doing everything all in one visit so it will be DONE and OVER after that morning.. but I am freaking out.
I haven't been on much, so I missed the dentist part...OMG. I finally went to the dentist after 4 years. I almost cried I was so freaked out. Fortunately, my teeth are in good shape, but I was gagging when they did the x-rays and in a total state of panic. I have to go back one more time and he said he could give me valium if someone is there to drive me. So good luck at the dentist, I totally know how you feel!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on day 69 and your sober trip to the Big Apple. :bounce
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
There were definitely times when it was hard... like last night at dinner when my mom ordered the "special" martini at Tavern on the Green... it was some fancy berry-infused martini and as soon as the waiter poured it in the glass the smell of vodka smacked me in the face like a brick. My first thought was, "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that smells good!" and then I started to panic. I almost got up and left the table for just a minute, to recompose myself, but instead I just sipped on my iced tea and tried to remind myself why I need to stay away from that poison.
Glad your trip went well TSH! I had a moment like the one you described above just the other day. I was at a friends house having dinner and he just happened to place his glass of red wine right in front of my face and it smelled soooo good. I had to get up and move after a couple minutes because it was driving me crazy, he didn't even notice he had put it there and it just sat there for what seemed like forever almost begging me to try some.