Notices

Support for a friend

Old 11-14-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support for a friend

My very dear friend has recently decided to stop drinking. I am here to ask for advice and anyone's opinions on the subject. Even though it's only been a week - I'm so proud of him and know this journey won't be easy. What are some things I can do to provide the support he may need without being "smothering" or appear as though I'm checking on his every move? Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have shared my sobriety with only one of my friends. She was never an alcoholic but I trust her dearly. We work together so I see her on almost a daily basis. We do not discuss my recovery everyday but she always asks me "How you doing today?" and I know thats my open door should I need it. I am glad she doesn't bring it up because alot of time I dont want to talk about that. Make sure you carry on your regular conversations too. Talk about things you have always talked about. Try to take your friend out for a night and go do something fun that doesn't involve drinking. Open his eyes to the fact you can have a great time and not drink. You sound like a great friend and I know just stickin by his side and being there is so healing. Take care and I wish u and your friend all the best.