Notices

Hello, I'm new here

Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new here

I'm 52, overweight, underexcercised and have no ambition or focus. I am married to a fantastic man who also drinks but has control. I know I'm hurting him when I pass out all the time, but I can't seem to stop drinking when I start. I don't need to drink every day, I don't drink on weekends until after 5 PM, but I seem to not be able to hold it down to two drinks instead of a bottle of whiskey. I also have hemochromatosis which is too much iron in your blood and can cause liver damage without drinking. I have an enlarged liver and I don't seem to care if I get sick. I don't seem to have any feelings and I don't know why. I love my husband very much and my family. My stepkids are great and I tell everyone in the family that I know I have a problem, but I don't do anything about it. I have hurt a lot of people and have offended a lot of people who will probably never forgive me. Any advice? I fear that the only way I'll be able to get through this is to go into detox, but not sure. I don't know how I would tell my employer since I have a new job and have only been here a short time. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Ladyonthelake! I would say to definitely get medical advice before detoxing. Talk candidly with a doctor before you do it. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself any more. I think it would be good to stop drinking and then see where you go from there. See if the change makes you feel better. I know I felt things a lot more when I stopped drinking. I started to care about things more. It sounds like you have medical reasons to stop. Please keep coming back here and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

You might want to have an honest talk
with your doctor before abruptly quitting.
A medically supervised de tox is
the best way to be both sober and safe.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome!!
Yup, you sound sick and tired of being sick and tired. Sounds like it is time for a change doesn't it? Come join us, sobriety is amazingly fun.
With your existing medical issues, I would talk to your doctor first.
Is the job as important as your health? Is it just a job or THE job? cause you can always get another "just a job".

Can I tell you how happy my husband is that he has a wife that is present every day and that he can actually talk to after 730 pm about stuff?
I feel like a newlywed and I often catch him looking at me like I am one too. He is proud of me today. I am proud of me today!

I am just a click away if you ever need an ear.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Welcome to SR me lady

With everone else on the doctor thing - go see

On the what you tell your employer problem.

On May 9th this year I, after feeling terrible all week couldn't face work on the friday and phoned in sick. It wasn't the first time I'd been off work ill over the years and if I'm honest all the days were a result of alcohol.

I knew deep down I needed to stop drinking, I also knew that if I made it through the friday I'd have the weekend before work on monday.

To cut a long story short, I made it through that friday, joined SR on the 10th, pretty much posted on here every couple of days since, and 152 days later I'm still here.

Wasn't in great shape that first monday morning but got back to work, guess what ? I haven't had a single day off sick since.

If you need a few days off to get sorted then your employer will be better off in the long run, your going to be off at some point anyway the path your currently on.

A wee mysterious illness that gets you through the first few days ?!?!?!

Stick around, read and post, don't ask me how it keeps me sober but believe me it does.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR - I hope you will contact your doctor concerning your drinking.

Continue posting here, you will find a great amount of support.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! Glad to see you here!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Hello and welcome!

Im with everyone here..go see a dr, esp since u already have health issues. With regards to what horselover said....getting feelings back once u stop drinking..so true for me too. I lost all ambition and motivation for so long. Now I feel like I have a new me, even tho its only been 18 days, it still feels great. I care more about if my house is clean and how I look. I started working out again. My future goals have changed greatly too. I wanted to be a nurse, was working towards that but Im thinking of other things now. I dont mind cooking...I used to hate cooking. Things just change...for the better. It will take time and one day at a time, but if there is a will there is a way. Keep coming back and reading. I find it very motivational and inspirational, even if u dont post.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by LadyontheLake View Post
I have an enlarged liver and I don't seem to care if I get sick. I don't seem to have any feelings and I don't know why. I love my husband very much and my family. My stepkids are great and I tell everyone in the family that I know I have a problem, but I don't do anything about it. I have hurt a lot of people and have offended a lot of people who will probably never forgive me. Any advice?
I was where you are now a little over a year ago.

You are posting here so there is a part of you that does indeed care about you. You have to understand you can't drink anymore. Abstinence is the only way. The sooner you understand and believe this the better. Alcohol must become a part of your past. It served it's purpose and now it is time to move on. YOU MUST STOP. It doesn't matter what others say or think. It doesn't matter how much you love your husband or family. This is about YOU. It's up to you. You and only you must reach out for the help you need. Your family can't help you with this one. Again, you must stop now and never put alcohol in your body again. To drink again or not is ultimately up to you but you don't have to stay sober alone. Actually I don't believe it is possible to stay sober alone. Your thoughts will lead you back to drinking without input from people who have been there. I have used SR and AA for over eight months and it is working for me. It has amazed me how time and time again I hear just what I need to hear from people at SR or AA. My life is not great but it is much better then when I was where you are right now. It is scary to me today to look back and think about how I didn't care about health. You will get your feelings back in time. Stick around, see a Dr. as advised and join us in sobriety. You won't regret it.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I knew last DEcember I had to stop drinking. I am now 86 days sober. It took me from last December to mid July to actually want to stay sober more than I wanted to drink. But at least I'm doing it right this time. Can't risk going back there cause I might not have another recovery left in me. I'm not in my youth and tire more easily and can't face the thought of one more withdrawal. The last one felt like it might kill me.

Get and stay sober one day at a time. We can help, AA can help, and lots of other recovery programs out there. But ya gotta wanna.

Glad you found us! :ghug3
Old 10-07-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I feel a little too new myself to be welcoming a newbie but here goes..

:ghug2

feel the luv