Notices

OT... I am nervous about finding a home for Bobble

Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

OT... I am nervous about finding a home for Bobble

I placed an ad on craigslist to find a home for Bobble. Because I dont know anyone to even begin to ask to find her a home.

And craigslist has posted a warning about placing ads for animals that say free to good home. I am going to post the warning..It has me like really paranoid right now.
But it also a warning by PETA.

We are writing in regards to the "free to good home" advertisements that appear on the Craigslist website.

As you may be aware, animals given away for free can, and unfortunately often do, meet gruesome fates. They can end up in the hands of animal abusers like Barry Herbeck, a Wisconsin man who was convicted last year of torturing and killing animals he obtained through "free to good home" ads. He confessed to taking his kids with him when responding to the ads so people would be comfortable turning animals over to him. People known as "bunchers," who obtain animals illegally from random sources to sell to research facilities for profit, often acquire animals by answering "free to good home" ads. Small animals advertised as "free to good home" are sometimes acquired by individuals who intend to use them as bait in training other animals to fight. Gerbils, hamsters, and young kittens are often acquired to be used as snake food.

Animal protection organizations all over the United States work diligently to educate people about the proper procedure for placing animals and frequently assist people in finding good homes for their animals. We routinely contact individuals who place "free to good home" advertisements to alert them to the potential perils for their animals and continuously receive appreciative calls from people who say they never knew these dangers existed.

I have gotten 2 responces. One from a woman who says she and her husband have a 2 yr old. They had a cat when the baby was born but had to get rid of it because the baby was so little. And now want to get another one now that the kid is older. They also asked if I could deliver the cat. Which I really like that isea. Cause then I can see where the cat will live.

And I got this other responce that was normal in look. But I just got a funny feeling from it. But then I may just be paranoid.
Heres that response....

"I am about to move into a new apartment and have been looking for a new animal companion. Your cat looks adorable and your description sounds like exactly what I am looking for.I would love to welcome her in to my home and give her all of the love and attention she needs. I am very interested and would love some more infromation from you. Please send a response to this e-mail address and hopefully I will get to meet you soon as well as your furry friend. "

AM I just buggin out or what?

I dont know what to do. I dont even want to get rid of her. I look forward to coming home to her. But with winter coming up and we will be closing the house up. I cant have my grams getting sick. A shelter is out of the question.
I know I am silly...But I have gotten so attached.

Someone please tell me I am being to protective.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

This is where my baby sleep every night. This is going to be hard.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I personally don't think you are being silly...the bond between pets and owners can be very strong.

My family had a cat a while ago that live for about 13 years...my dad is no softie and he cried when that cat died. Those two had a special bond...I was living away at the time so I talked to my dad over the phone. He told me it's like losing a family member. It's probably still hard for him today...

It's your cat...you have every right to be protective...just my opinion. I know I would be super protective. I hope you can find Bobble a good and safe home. :ghug3
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One way to get around the 'free to a good home' problem might be to charge a small amount?

I think the response you got sounds fine, you might be being paranoid. So would anybody be after reading that warning.

Seeing the people in their home sounds like a great idea, you could even ask if it is OK for you to come and see the cat a couple of times, to make sure he/she is happy?

I am sorry you are having to do this at all Trish.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It breaks my heart Trish that you have to go through this. I would NOT, however, give her away free to anyone. Charge $50 and if they can't afford $50 then they can't afford to have a pet. I am a fine one to talk because I couldn't afford $50 right now, but you know what I mean. You want her to go to a home that can take her to a vet if she needs to go and can afford to care for her. I have never believed you should give a pet away free or get a pet for free. Our animals are all rescues. What about a cat rescue? Is there any in you neck of the woods? There are no kill shelters around, but they fill up quick. I really am sorry and I hope you find a loving home.

One other thing, a 2 year old with a cat - not sure about that one. My son was way too rough with ours at that age. I could never leave him alone with her because he hadn't learned the concept of "gentle" yet. He is super sweet with her now, but he is 5 turning 6 very soon. Age with kids and pets manners a great deal.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too think a cat and a 2 year old is not a good match.
Do you have friends or family that would take Bobbles?

My son took my cat when I could no longer keep her.
My AA home group is a good resource for pet placements.

I have never given or sold a pet to a stranger.

(((Trish.)))
Old 10-03-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Trish, if I lived closer I would take Bobbles for you.

PETA is sorta well, crazed. But, it's good to be careful. I think that you got good advice. Humane society in your area?

(((Trish)))
Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((Trish))

I feel the same way about shelters, but we now have some that are "no kill" and they say kittens are adopted really fast, and they charge a small amount so no one is getting them for free.

I'm so sorry you have to give her up, but I hope you find a good home for her. I will say extra prayers for both of you.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Trish so sorry that you are going through this! Pet people have furry babies-and the attachment is like nothing anyone can relate to that is not a pet person!

I like the idea of be able to go to see the place and meet the person the cat is going too! Not so sure about the 2 year old-IMHO who is to say that they are ready for another cat and will not give this one up should things not work out again with the child. Just food for thought.

Being protective is not a bad thing! It is what we do-with our animals-
Kind of like Stoney's idea of charging a small fee-too! Something to think about-and Carol's got a great idea too!

Hang in there and keep us posted!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

****{Trish}}}
oh, this is hard, I am so feeling you on this..I am sorry you are in the position of having to give her up...

ditto on the 2yr old and cat match
and also on a monetary value for bobbles...I have never given away a cat or a kitten without a monetary value attached.

and I would also take the time and get to know the person who takes her ..a couple of visits, one at your place and one at theirs before Bobbles goes anywhere and that should give you some time to get a fix on them...if that is an issue for people, then they are not the one for your girl...

also, seniors are a great pool to draw from...they really appreciate a furry friend and they provide excellent homes with lots of special attention...
sending prayers that Bobbles finds a safe and happy home..and the speedy healing of your heart.... Grateful