Notices

Nutrition Question

Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nutrition Question

Hello All,
We all know the damage we do physically drinking....anyway, the doctor I've been seeing strongly recoommends a nutritional/supplemental aspect to both physiacl and mental recovery. Anybody have a link to an actual list of these vitamins and supplements? I guess I'm slow or whatever...all I can find are ads or articles....I need an actual list of specifics. Thanks in advance for what I know will be speedy and helpful responses. Hope all is well with you
Rob
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

My doctor told me after a check up when I was off the booze the same thing, he said that alcoholics tend to be Vitamin B deficient, especially B1 aka thiamin. This is one of the reasons that drunks have messed up nervous systems. I was happy to hear that thiamin is found in whole grain cereals, leafy vegetables and egg yolks, all food I love. I also think food with niacin (another B vitamin) and folic acid / folate are good. I ate two bananas in the morning for folate and Niacin is in beef, tuna, chicken so I was good to go.

I ate more of them and took a B multi-vitamin OTC from the drug store for 90 days until my eating and gym habits got back on track.

Truth is for me alot of the nutritional health came back from just quitting, I actually ate my meals instead of drinking them.

google "vitamin B alcoholic or vitamin deficiency alcoholic and there is plenty of reading"

Regards,

C
Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi,

My two cents. The muti vitamin at GNC is really really good. Rather pricey, but I seriously feel a difference when I do not take them. (gotta get some myself!)
Old 10-02-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Multi vitamins are always a good start.

And, B vitamins have been indispensible for me.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Good to see you back, Rob.

I never really had a strong grasp on the specifics, either. In treatment I was told to take lots of B-vitamins, so I picked up a multi with a lot of Bs. I'm a fan of green-food vitamins, which taste and smell foul but are generally closer to actual food than artificial vitamins.

Now that I'm a little further out in my recovery, I'm just generally trying to eat healthy. Two portions of veggies for every portion of meat, low carbs, low sugars, lots of color, food as close to the farm as possible. Hasn't done me wrong so far.

I've also switched vitamins recently, I'm taking a fantastic "hair, skin, and nails" multi. I can't say enough good things about it, it's really helped me to LOOK healthier again. I think the brand is "Futurebiotics."
Old 10-02-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

I was took GABA for many years. It is suggested by some sources as being beneficial for fighting cravings. It's an amino acid (I think) and it's OTC just like any other vitamin. I took it for other mental disorders, and personally I didn't think it did a thing, but you might like to do your own research.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
Good to see you back, Rob. Now that I'm a little further out in my recovery, I'm just generally trying to eat healthy. Two portions of veggies for every portion of meat, low carbs, low sugars, lots of color, food as close to the farm as possible. Hasn't done me wrong so far.

Me too.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

For me I used blue green algae to bring my body into balance because of the trace mineral content. This helped to clear my brain fog. I also avoid things with high sugar content and especially anything with artificial sugars, even fruit while detoxing from alcohol could put me back into relapse mode. Alcohol has a lot of sugar and it gets the blood sugar out of whack eating a diet high in sugar makes it much harder to get off alcohol.

this is what worked for me.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here's a tip regarding multivitamins and B complex tablets: my doc told me to split them and to take half a dose with breakfast, and the other one with dinner - every 12 hours. Some vitamins (such as vitamin C and B complex - the water soluble ones) aren't stored in your body; if your requirements are met for the time being, all the unneeded vits are flushed away. End result: very expensive pee . So it's a good idea to spread out your intake instead of choosing mega doses.