Notices

Hi, I'm new here.....

Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new here.....

I just found this site and am so thankful for it. I've been sober for 4 days now and just needed to find somewhere that understands what I'm going through. I'm a Mom of 2 boys and have found myself practically housebound from my drinking to the point where if I didn't have a few drinks before leaving the house, I would be a nervous wreck. My entire life revolved around waiting for that magic hour when I could have a beer or glass of wine (of course it wasn't just ONE!) and I have pretty much wasted away the last few years by doing this. The anxiety and depression became so overwhelming that I realized if I didn't get a handle on this, I would look back in ten years and see how much I have missed from my boys childhood.

Luckily, I haven't really had any withdrawal symptoms other than the anxiety I was having on a daily basis anyway. The only other problem I am having is sporadic feelings of fullness in my ears and feeling unbalanced. This is also something that occurred daily before I started drinking, but would go away when I drank.

Sorry this is so long - I just want to say thank you for having a place like this that someone like me can come to and be honest....

~CAS
Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there and Welcome!
I'm also fairly new to SRF - it's really great place for support and information so I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Just a couple of points because I don't know how much you drank nor for how long; suggest you do check yourself out with your Doctor to make sure you are OK. You say you don't have any withdrawals but are having "sporadic feelings of fullness in my ears and feeling unbalanced".

Are you going to AA? I could not stop and more importantly stay stopped on my own. AA gave me my life back with a program for living, companionship and friends. regards, e
:fall22
Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:ghug3 welcome and well done on 4 days.

You will find lots of support and help here.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, I'm not going to AA right now - I'm much too anxious to leave the house, to be honest with you. I guess I'm just wondering if I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop as I haven't had any bad detox reactions and prior to quitting I was drinking quite a bit - at least 10-14 beers daily, sometimes more. God, that's hard to put in writing! Don't get me wrong, I feel foggy and as I said unbalanced from time to time, but I don't have any of the other major withdrawal symptoms I have seen listed. I just want to feel NORMAL again and be able to live a productive life!

~CAS
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Cas and welcome to SR. Way to go on 4 days. I could not get and stay clean and sober on my own. I had to go to AA. I understand the anxiety behind going. The good news is that everyone there felt anxious when they got there too. So they understand. Please keep posting and let us get to know you!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
things as it is

Hi Cas. At the very least, just make a phone call to your local AA Intergroup (hotline). The person at the other end has been where you are at.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Cas Welcome to SR! Glad that you found us! This is a great place filled with a lot of support-AA is also something to really consider as others have mentioned...

Please check out our other forums and our "Alcoholism" forum there is a wealth of information here and a lot of who have been where you are!

Please keep us posted!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.

What is your plan to continue your sobriety?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Cas, welcome and good luck. This is a great place for support!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

Welcome to our recovery community.

What is your plan to continue your sobriety?
I'm planning on going to AA in the next few days or so, once I'm feeling a bit more comfortable. This morning was uncomfortable with the anxiety, but it's subsiding.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Cas. Today is my second day here.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had unbearable anxiety every time I quit (too many times before I finally got it right). I got some relief with Sleepytime tea, with chamomile, and Sleepytime with Extra, with chamomile and valarian. that helped me calm down a lot in those first few days and weeks. Do drink lots of water and juice, and taking B vitamins will help get your body and brain back to normal, as drinking depletes the B vits.

Glad you found us! Lots of support here.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi cas! i'm new as well - 4 full days of sobriety myself gettin thru my fifth. i'm glad i found this place and have already gotten lots of support!

(((hugz)))
Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! GLad you are here! 4 days is awesome! Keep moving forward. :atv
Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Just another day...

4 days is great! one day at a time!:ghug3
Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am a noob too, welcome.....