Notices

Hello - another new member :)

Old 09-13-2008, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello - another new member :)

Hello all,

I joined up yesterday, and am glad to have found this forum as I don't think I can quit drinking on my own.

I'm in my thirties and have always been a moderate to heavy social drinker, and even enjoyed a bottle of wine at home on a Friday night, but over the past year or so I've gone from one bottle of wine a week to maybe one bottle every other day or a bottle of spirits over a couple of days. I have no self control; there's no such thing to me as 'just one glass' and if there's alcohol in the house I have to have some!

I hate myself when I drink insomuch as I get annoyed and angry with everything, including myself. My sleep suffers and I end up having awful nightmares.

The past few weeks have been tough for personal and professional reasons and I've really gone to town on the booze, and it got to the point where I was worrying about the fact that I'd been to the same shop each time to get my wine and that the cashiers must also be thinking that I have a drink problem (they would be right!)

Anyway, sorry for rambling - I've never told anyone about this before; I just want to stop my reliance on drinking lest I end up like my father (dead from alcoholism in his 50s and - in the end - an angry and desperate person)

Thanks for listening - I look forwards to being part of this community
Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi!

I am new to, but I would like to welcome you all the same.

Are you working to recover on your own or are you joining a program?

I have started AA just six weeks ago, it helps me to hear others with the same issues and that they listen to me and understand.

It's nice to meet you.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

I did not quit on my own either
and I am glad I did not.

AA is giving me a fantastic new life
and I would have missed out on so much alone.

I consider my last 5 years of drinking
to be alcoholic drinking. I too had no
problems for many years.

Glad you are here with us..
Old 09-13-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welome to the site :day4 Check out our Class of September & join us on our road to recovery :bounce
Old 09-13-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Soberhippie

Hi there - I've just read your introductory post and related to what you said about your resentments coming out when you drink.

I'm trying to kick the drink without AA - I don't think that a group is right for me (however that might change!)

Good luck to you too
Old 09-14-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by headintheclouds View Post
Hi Soberhippie

Hi there - I've just read your introductory post and related to what you said about your resentments coming out when you drink.

I'm trying to kick the drink without AA - I don't think that a group is right for me (however that might change!)

Good luck to you too
Hello and welcome.

From your description of yourself, it seems like you are catching yourself in the "relatively early" stages. Many of us have been past one bottle of spirits a day. Still, it is for you to define--if you feel there is a problem, there is. Don't worry if AA isn't for you (it isn't for me either). There are other groups if that's what you're looking for and there is info here on this forum. I do suggest you find someone, or several people, you can talk with about deeply personal issues. I have a counselor, family and friends.

Try not to be depressed and look for the positive things in life. You can be sober and happy. Good luck to you.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! GLad you are here!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

hello Headintheclouds.. and a big SR shout out of WELCOME.. were glad your hear !!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome. glad you found us
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again all

BeamMeUpScotty - yes, I guess I am in the early stages, but as you say if I think it's a problem then it is. I would love to have someone close to talk to about it, however my family are incredibly self-absorbed (they are one trigger for my drinking anyway, so I'm not sure that talking to them would help..probably cause more stress!) and my friends..well, they have their own problems. I'm just used to dealing with my problems myself, I guess
Old 09-14-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by headintheclouds View Post
Thanks again all

BeamMeUpScotty - yes, I guess I am in the early stages, but as you say if I think it's a problem then it is. I would love to have someone close to talk to about it, however my family are incredibly self-absorbed (they are one trigger for my drinking anyway, so I'm not sure that talking to them would help..probably cause more stress!) and my friends..well, they have their own problems. I'm just used to dealing with my problems myself, I guess
I would suggest going to a counselor. If your money situation isn't too good, there are often "community-based" counseling centers which are either free or on a sliding scale. Don't be afraid to switch counselors either if one isn't working for you. The goal is to help you.

Keep posting here and people will respond.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you for coming and getting help now. You're right if you think its a problem then it is. Hang in there you can do it!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Hi. Come join us in class of September 2008. We're all in early days of sobriety. Lots of us seem to have been on one or two bottles of wine a day (I also went to different shops). I know it isn't as much as some alcoholics drink, but I know it caused more than enough mayhem in my life!! And I had no control over starting or stopping once I started.

I don't want to hit rock bottom, I don't want to lose my children, my job, my home, but I think I could if I carried on. I've been amazed at what a little bit of support will do. So welcome!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi headintheclouds,
I am new too and can relate a lot to what you are saying - my drinking pattern seems along the same lines too as yours and I had an alcoholic mum. Welcome anyway.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dismember

Oi, I remember having to rotate which store I would buy from. In the end they all started to know me by name.

Glad you're here, headintheclouds. This is *the* place to ramble. Ramble away; you never have to apologize for that here. I'm sorry to hear about your father, but grateful that you're heading off what could've been a similar path.

-I
Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Headintheclouds,

Welcome!

Oh yes, I remember rotating the stores that I bought from too, so it wouldn't look so desperate.

This is a great place to find support, so keep reading and posting.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi there headintheclouds,
This is my 19th day sober. Your post hit a chord with me. I did the same thing, drinking more and more until it got ridiculous, not to mention expensive. My father also died in his early 50s (he was a heavy drinker). My mistake was that once I realized how bad I had gotten I didn't try to change anything. I ignored it, all of it and I almost did lose everything. I'm glad you're here talking and taking the steps. It's harder then I ever thought it would be but it's worth every second. I was so excited to be sober last time, I posted I wrote my user name wrong at the end! I also love the feeling of being out and knowing that if I say something dumb it's not because I'm drunk anymore. This place has been a god send to me too. There are so many people here on your side right at the touch of your fingertips!!! Best of luck!

*August78* Paula
Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 09-14-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with what someone said in an above post as far as being close to getting to the worse part of alcoholism, URGH!!!! That was horrible for me and I was at a point where you are now. I wish you the best and you'll find out as you go what works for you. Everyone is different but there is tons of great advice and support here.