Notices

anyone with advice about college?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question anyone with advice about college?

I quit drinking Aug. 30. I only screwed up one day since then...and I hated how I felt next morning. I will be 40 next week and am having such a hard time knowing that I haven't accomplished all that I wanted to do before I started seeing lines on my face! So I want to go back to school sooo bad. I can't get into university without act or sat scores(or an AA degree). Does anyone know if the act or sat is easier...cause I don't remember a thing about math, science, or english? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure when the rules changed...but you might be grandfathered in on the ACT/SAT score thing....

You could take a few classes as a "special student" and then get them accepted later if you want to try out school first.

I never did end up taking the ACT/SAT...but my understanding from others is that the ACT is easier????
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took both 10 years ago. I still clearly remember the ACT was easier. But I'm pretty sure ananda's right, that going back as a so-called nontraditional student gives you a way around taking those tests.

Good luck! And congrats on your sober time
Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

WOW! I can't remember now if I took the ACT/SAT...I might have gotten through on "experiential learning", since I was 48 when I decided to try doing something with my life. Actually, I had started taking college courses (just to get back into the study habits), but failed miserably after a couple of years because I was still drinking.

When I finally quit drinking, it took six years in AA before I had the courage and determination to go back. Then, it was another four years of a couple of subjects a semester until I earned an AA degree. But, it was well worth the effort...and, a tremendous boost to my self-confidence!

Good luck!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I wanted to go to college at 56
I was in Florida . I suggest you go to your
nearest Junior College and speak to the Admissions Department

Perhaps checking out Technical Schools
is also something you would find interesting.

Best of luck...
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I went back to school a year ago I didn't have to take the SAT or ACT. I did have to take a placement test called the THEA. Just call your local junior or community college and they can give you info on it.

And way to go on thinking of your education!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice. I wish I could figure out this site so I can talk to ya'll more.