Notices

Self Destructive

Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Count me in on that train too Kathleen...check in soon, 'k?

D
Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It will take me awhile to process and absorb all the thoughts on this subject because there was a lot of input. I did want to say thank you and I appreciate all the effort everyone took to write me on this matter. Unfortunately, I don't have much to say about it right now. Just on information overload maybe. Thank you all so much. I will have a better response this later after I think about it for awhile. I'm feeling like a guilty drama queen at the moment!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You're not a drama queen

God knows I'd have kicked you by now if you were.....

Glad to hear from you tho.Take care sweetie,

Julesxox
Old 09-13-2008, 12:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I drank to self destruct and now i have anorexia. I struggle with being healthy. Find a good therapist it helps
Old 09-13-2008, 12:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Bostonluv just want to thank you for sharing this with everyone. I kind of know what your feeling because I used to go all day without eating and I found that when I did that it only made me gain even more weight. The problem with that is your body thinks its starving itself so when you do go to eat something you will put on the weight a lot quicker. I know its very hard to do but if you eat 3 or 4 smaller frequent portions you will burn calories faster and harder. Do this and drink lots of water, it worked wonders for me and I have lost a lot of weight. Another thing I found extremly helpful was from Rico Conner's book, he suggests the first thing you do when you wake up is drink a strong cup of coffee and do cardio for about 10 minutes. Doing this everyday will give you results fast. Hope that helps you out a bit

-Mike
Old 09-13-2008, 03:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Kathleen, I don't really know how to help you with breaking this cycle that's any different to what has already been said. All I can really think of is to wonder if you do much exercise. I started exercising a couple of months after I stopped drinking and I love it. It is a great way to tone up your body and I would never be able to exercise and starve myself, I find I always have a good appetite.
It's good that you have raised this and hopefully you can go to the next step and gradually start to eat again before it becomes a big problem. A lot of people are rooting for you, look after yourself and best wishes.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

First of all, don't be so hard on yourself. You are early on in sobriety so many of these feelings are magnified and seem more intense. When giving up our addiction, sometimes it can manifest itself in other ways. This is why it's important to figure out what is triggering these feelings. Feel good that you are alcohol free and healthier than you were then. It's all a process. Eat a small meal if you can't handle a big one but eat something so you're body will have something to run on. Also, being hungry could lead to alcohol cravings and it could be disastrous. Treat yourself to a desert that you love occasionally. Be good to yourself. You are winning over alcohol and that is huge. Everything else will begin to sort itself out as you focus on loving yourself and taking care of yourself.

I'm thinking of you.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Kathleen: It is so good that you talked here..I've read all the posts and see nothing but support for your sobriety and for you Miss Kathleen. Your sharing has nothing to do with being a drama queen, and look at all the people who related to you...I'm sure it was a relief to know someone else has had their experience. I know you will be allright because you are one stong cookie. Now go eat something!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

From one drama queen to another - totally kidding on your part, by the way! You are not a drama queen and very rarely post about yourself. I always see Kathleen posts about helping others. Its hard, but let others support you when you need it. Glad you came back!! :ghug3
Old 09-13-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

earlier today I heard this lady talking about the very same thing in a book on tape (alcohol: a love stry)...

then an hour ago I had three candy bars(i was going to eat only 1, but bou\ght 3 for two dollars)

years ago I fasted one time for 3 days....and when i broke the fast i ate like a pig(without lip stick). I think about eating all the time. I want to fill myself from the outside always with drugs/alcohol/food/ whatever.

I don't know what to say, but I sure do appreciate you sharing....because it makes me feel less alone....
Old 09-13-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Just wanted to send love & support too, Kathleen. I was like Dee & others, could go days without having any appetite when I was binging. When I quit drinking this last time I turned to ice cream, candy, diet soda & coffee. (I don't smoke, or I would've been chainsmoking for sure.) We've already tortured our bodies enough through the alcohol abuse - many of us are malnourished, - so a balanced diet & good vitamins is extra important for us. I hope you'll seek help if things don't improve.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you all for caring about me and responding to my post. I had some regret over it last night. I felt like I had emotionally thrown up on all of you. But the posts where people could relate to me and my personal struggle with food or lack thereof were very helpful. It’s always helpful to hear: me too. The two people who I am very close to on this website tried to speak to me about this last night and I’m sorry to say I was chilly and defensive. I was justifying the benefits of fasting or just avoiding the topic altogether. Oh dear…..I do believe in the benefits of fasting IF DONE PROPERLY. And I have not been fasting properly and received no benefits from it besides weight loss, which was my focus. I did eat last night and did not feel too guilty about it and did not binge. I lost another ½ pound. I am going to fast again today to let my body “catch up” on all the food. Which should result in zero weight gain and only setting me back one day’s progress weight wise. I’ve been looking into intermentient fasting: 2 days on and one day off, and also protein shake fasting or juice fasting. Not sure yet. As you can tell I am still very obsessed. I just cannot sabotage 10 days of hard work. I cannot do that. I just want 10 more pounds and then I’ll be a good girl and eat my broccoli and chicken breast.

Thank you all so much!!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Boston, how did I miss this thread earlier today? I'm late as always.

I saw in an earlier post in another thread that you were going on a fast...I didn't think too much of that then...I had no idea this was the reason why. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I don't fast, but I do binge. I yo-yo diet. I don't starve myself, but I will cut down on calories a lot when I feel really guilty. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you...I don't have my food issues under control.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hugs to you, Kathleen! I hope so much that this won't become dangerous for you. I wish I knew what to say, other than I am keeping you in my prayers and am so glad you posted here about it. I'm here for you any time you want to talk about it.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Karen,

Something good came out of something bad that happned in your life yesterday. When I was talking to you about keeping constant vigil on relapsing I realized that I should take heed to my own advice. I have a stubborn streak in me that has tripped me up before. Not listening to good advice is the path of fools. This not eating "thing" is a slippery slope on the wrong path and could lead me to drink again. I'm going to feed this body somethig good and healthy and go grocery shopping later. I have nothing but pickles in my house and dog/cat food. I do not need to punish myself anymore, live in fear or stay in bondage. I can manage things in my life such as food and my relationships. It's choice: do the right thing or do the wrong thing. Thank you Karen. Your e-mail turned the light on for me.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
Karen,

Something good came out of something bad that happned in your life yesterday. When I was talking to you about keeping constant vigil on relapsing I realized that I should take heed to my own advice. I have a stubborn streak in me that has tripped me up before. Not listening to good advice is the path of fools. This not eating "thing" is a slippery slope on the wrong path and could lead me to drink again. I'm going to feed this body somethig good and healthy and go grocery shopping later. I have nothing but pickles in my house and dog/cat food. I do not need to punish myself anymore, live in fear or stay in bondage. I can manage things in my life such as food and my relationships. It's choice: do the right thing or do the wrong thing. Thank you Karen. Your e-mail turned the light on for me.
Hey BL,

You can do it! You've gotten through the worst part in many ways. I would suggest keeping things in your fridge like carrot sticks, sliced cucumbers, fruit salad, etc... Anything that you can pick up and nibble on through the day. Eating a lot of small meals is in many ways healthier than eating a few "big" ones. I wouldn't even worry about buying those things already prepared at the supermarket at a bit of extra cost--think of the money you haven't been spending on yeast excrement and it's probably no comparison.

You can also carry those type of things with you to work and very few people will say anything if they see you eating them at your desk (as opposed to candy, for example). If they do, just say you were tested for hypoglycemia and you need to nibble throughout the day.

Good luck and on to day 56!! :ghug3
Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Kathleen,
You are some kind of wonderful, lady. Thank you! I'm so glad you're going to get healthy!!