Ok here goes!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Wibble,
Day two here, let's beat this :bounce
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
There were definitely atheists there. Some people believe their Higher Power is the strength of the AA community. No-one is going to convert you Wibble!!!

Don't get me wrong i wouldn't have to be dragged along kicking and screaming and i TOTALLY respect that some people find it helps, its just that at the moment I don't feel i'm "there" in terms of the religious part of AA.

But hey that could change very quickly!!

Having some horrible cravings this afternoon. A real physical sense of need...awesome just what i need.

Day 8 started ok but is frankly turning a wee bit poo!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itsmytime View Post
Hi Wibble,
Day two here, let's beat this :bounce
Well done and welcome!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I had a good Day 3 today!! Then I got home and reached for my bottle of wine to pour myself that first and best glass of the day, and it wasn't there!!! I can identify with the cravings. And I'm getting a cold as I always do whenever I try and straighten up!

Am sitting here with my cup of tea, feeling a tad sorry for myself!

Actually, the meeting yesterday was mainly the blokes talking, and it was about the way that they hadn't actually had the big spiritual awakening. They had just done what was suggested and worked the steps and it had helped them stay sober. It had all been gradual and pretty hard work. The Higher Power really is a personal thing.

Apparently there is a secular version of AA, I think it is mentioned in one of the threads in the Alcohol Forum. It's on the web, but not sure how well represented it is in the UK.
Sorry, can't remember what it is called. Shall go have a look in a min.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Yeah i think its called SMART recovery (please feel free to correct me if i'm talking nonsense). There doesn't seem to be a meeting close to me (within 50 or so miles).
I've made a little pact with myself that if i really start to struggle or fall off the wagon again i'm gonna go straight to AA. Regardless of the religious aspect i will go if i fail in this attempt to stop.

At the moment i feel like i'm using SR as my support network and i have to say its doing a really good job!!!!

For me i just want to be able to talk to people with the same experiences and ask for advice when i feel i need it.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I know what you mean, this place is great. And you can go on here anytime you are feeling low. I even pop on it at work when I want to run around the room screaming!!

Something always makes me laugh when I am on here, as well as making it all not such a lonely experience, which it can be when all the world looks normal, sane and well-adjusted compared to me!!

Good luck on day 8!!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Smile Day 6

Way to go Wible and everyone else. day 6 here and feeling good. Exercised, cleaned the house, went to church, went to a meeting. Made it through the weekend. This was the first weekend sober in at least 2 years!!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Well done Jho! This was my first clean weekend in ages as well!!!

Without this site i wouldn't have stood any chance. It makes such a difference.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Why oh why. But i'm back now. Day 1

So pleased you are all doing so well. I'm not going out socially for now. It doesn't do me any good, i'm not strong enough yet.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Main thing is Pixy you are starting over.

Its one thing to make a mistake its another not to learn from it!

Just glad to have you back posting again!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Welcome Wibble - It does sound like you are on the right track. For me the first couple of weeks was the hardest, trying to change my routines, which all revolved around drinking. It does get easier.

Good luck with that date Jig...
Old 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Day 1

wibble - I just want to say thank you for being an inspiration. Thanks partly to you, today is my day 1. Please don't give up. I am heading out to buy the book right now.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:49 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hollander View Post
wibble - I just want to say thank you for being an inspiration. Thanks partly to you, today is my day 1. Please don't give up. I am heading out to buy the book right now.
Wow thats awesome. I'm glad i'm doing something right... my addict voice swears i'm a tw*t!!!!!

Welcome to the site!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Worst cravings so far today... had some really good work related news and that just sent my addict voice mental. It went mental...desperate for booze... i even started craving for coke and i haven't had that in a year... I mean it was really good news but even so thats getting a bit silly!
Horrible mood swings with the cravings as well. Day 9 and i'm hanging on by a thread!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

hey wibble...just read through this thread and wanted to say congrats! I can relate to so much of what you're saying. keep up the amazing work!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Hang on to that thread Wibble. I think you are craving any mood altering chemical, that's what the coke craving is about. I think some people (me!) just get addicted to anything that can take the edge off reality.

I don't have any particular preference for alcohol (and pain killers), it's just that I've given everything else up!! I would get addicted to vitamin C if I thought it would do the trick!

That's what I came here and I'm going to AA to learn, how to live without it. How do people get through the day? If I could get away with this lifestyle I would, but I've got to the stage where I just can't get enough of anything, I'm a bad mother and my kidneys are about to pack up!!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

You know what you are totally right. I had one point where i just wanted SOMETHING! Anything would do... a cigarette, booze, coke i would have been at the kitchen cleaner if i could.... all this because i'd had good news at work.

Wow...

I made it through though. Ok i had 2 NA Beers ( which were just pointless) but i made it through!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thought I was the only one with kidneys ready to pack up.

Wibble you have done great, it's so easy to slip but you stuck with it
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Wierd that isn't it.. I guess we get into the habit of celebrating with a beer just as much as commiserating when something bad happens, with a beer.

Actually, if nothing happens at all it makes me want a beer.

It's time for me to shut up, isn't it?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

lol no you keep talking!