Notices

Day 1 without drink complete

Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can't remember the last time i woke up on a Sunday morning and didn't feel awful. For once i don't have to sit trying to pull round so that i can actually do something.
I'm gonna go walk my dog and enjoy a bit of sunshine!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What wibble says ! Doesn't it feel good!

sas
Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So far this year this will be my 3rd attempt to stop drinking, In January i managed 3 weeks before falling from the wagon at high speed.... my last attempt was ..well just a bit rubbish! I'm giving this one everything though, i simply have to succeed. We i'm desperate to drink i just need to try and remember how good it feels to dry out!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great, Yorkshireman!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Originally Posted by yorkshireman View Post
Onto day 3 and for the first time in years I've slept (real sleep!) a good 6 hours and woken up at 7.15am with a clear head and am actually looking forward to the day ahead. If this is sobriety then bring it on!
york,
Good for you! Congratulations! I hope all is well. Stay busy, catch up on some good movies. Treat yourself to something you haven't had in awhile, ice cream, popcorn, burger, cake. You deserve a present! Keep up the good work!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the messages of support guys and sorry if I don't seem to be giving much back but these last few days have been pretty weird for me.

I've had a really strange experience today and I don't know if it's my body detoxing or my mind playing tricks on me.

I'll try and explain...

I had a lovely traditional Sunday dinner at home and was sitting on the sofa afterwards listening to Neil Young when my heart suddenly started going at what felt like 500bpm and I felt like I was dreaming while awake (if that makes sense), so I decided to take the dogs out on the field. I honestly can't remember where we went and who we met. I felt so detached from reality it was like I was dead and looking down on myself. I tried to explain to my partner how I felt and she must have thought I was insane. The truth is, I can't explain properly what was going on.

I have had this feeling of detachment once before about a year ago, again while trying to quit drinking. It's like I'm living a parallel life while still being aware of what's happening in reality. Really freaky. The nearest I can equate it to is tripping.

I think today I have discovered that I am an alcoholic and that I know I will beat this disease. Even if I do feel like I'm losing my mind along the way.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

York,
That's scary! Sounds like the rapid heartbeat caused lightheaded euphoria. You went for a walk during this episode! Now you're really scaring me. Detoxing is very dangerous. Don't take any chances with it. If you had this before why take such chances? Please don't hesitate going to the ER if things get out of control, AGAIN! Make sure someone is there with you, always! And for goodness sake, don't go for a walk when you're in defib! You really should get checked out and be under medical supervision/care. I would love to give you the "Keep up the great work York" and "You're doing Wonderful" and "I'm so proud of you" but, you really are lucky to be alive. If you make it through this York, promise me you will never ever drink again for you are truly playing Russian Roulette! Prayers
Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

It takes a long time to repair the damage we've done to our bodies and personalities.
It's likened often to an emotional rollercoaster. I've been on it a few times before, this time is no exception. Last week was bleak, everything felt jagged and I went down, thinking that I'd restabilised to my pre-sobriety depressed cynicism. Then whoosh the new me reasserts itself with spades.
It does get better. It's an overall upward curve.
Keep at it, tha's doin' grand
Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Dude, that is scary man. I've had my heart get a little funky, but never while having an out of body experience. I'd do some research on it and see if it is related to detox. I'm not sure how much you used to drink, but if it is a ton, this could be your body talking to you. Take care of yourself.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think I posted this in the wrong thread so I've posted again elsewhere.

Incidentally I feel OK at the moment. I just hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

York,
You've posted in the right place. This is your thread. I have subscribed to it in order to help you through the process (like many others I'm sure). Please keep posting here. It's a good way for you and us to track your progress. I'm glad you're Okay. I wish you all the luck in the world. Please be careful. You are one brave soul! Prayers
Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

.....I can't find the other post....soooo...
here is information about de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Note that not one member who shared there has
the exact same symptoms
Do go to an ER if things get scary
There is info there on what is dangerous..

Drink lots of water to flush your body and mind of toxins.

Keep posting...
Old 08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

hello! i'm brand new - this is my 1st post. i felt compelled to post on this thread because you mentioned your vacation after 30 days of sobriety. earlier this year i went 6 weeks sober - no problem - then on a trip to the beach i decided a mai tai sounded fun and thought i was showing such great control that i could have one and be done. i had 2 that night. wine the next. more beachy cocktails the next day. that was 3 months ago and i've had something to drink almost every night since. soooooooo, today is my new start date! wish i hadn't had that first mai tai - i'd be 4 1/2 months sober! just something to think about on your trip. may the force be with you
Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

chewie,
Thanks for sharing your story. I'll need it in case I think I can have "just one"!
Congrats on your new start! You're a pro now, this time should be a breeze!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As far as trigger points, I've been told to HALT: triggers can be Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired. Watch out for your addiction trying to persuade you to drink at a weak point.

Congratulations on your sober time! Feels great, doesn't it?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

chewie......
Welcome to our recovery cummunity

Yes...that "Just One" trap kept me
drinking far too long too.

Why not repeat whatever you did in
your earlier sobriety and make a fresh start?

Good to see a new member...
Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 4 about to begin. Once again I've slept fantastically. The kind of deep sleep you don't get when drunk. I'm still very tired but I guess that's my body starting to recover.

All I gotta do now is find something to occupy my day. It's gonna be fun thinking of something and knowing that going to the pub isn't one of my options!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

York,
Day 4, that's fantastic!
Already you have a great attitude
"It's going to be fun thinking of something"
finding a new Hobie/activity is fun! The sky's the limit here! Think of the money you now have. You can do anything your heart desires. It is so good to see you positive! Keep up the great work! Prayers

Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I took the dogs for a four hour trip out and treat myself to a burger and fries with Coke.

Who cares if it's not the healthiest food? I can't eat salad all day!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Day 5 here we come...