Notices

Hello

Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You all are so wonderful. Thank you for the warm welcome. Its pretty bad when I was emailing back and forth with a girlfriend from work and she says it cant be that bad unless you did such and such and she had it right on the money. I couldnt even reply back. I am going to call today just to see when I can get in to talk to a pyschologist and I will ask for one specializing in this.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say I made an appointment with a Pyschologist who specializes in alcohol and drug abuse. The earliest i could get in is Monday my appointment is at 6:30 PM. I didnt like telling them the reason I wanted to see a pyschologist but I knew they would match me with the most appropriate person available if I was truthful.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good luck, and welcome. This is just a suggestion, but since your appointment is on Monday, you may want to check out an AA meeting prior to that to increase your chances fo making until then (without drinking again). I realize it's intimidating the first time, but I think you will find that you are NOT alone, and you can simply listen if thats what you wish to do. At the very least, keep coming back here.

Tom
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Good for you!
I know it is uncomfortable but there are privacy laws in place, so hopefully that will not be an issue. If you want to do some reading before you go, can I suggest "Drinking - A love Story" by Caroline Knapp? It is a very powerful book and my therapist recommended it after my first session.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I am proud of you for reaching out for support, this is an awesome place to hear ideas and to be heard. Tom had a great suggestion to try to get to a meeting before you go to your appointment on Monday.
Alway be perfectly honest with the professionals you see they can't help you unless they know EVERYTHING. Try not be embarrassed I know it's hard.
I have 160 days sober now and I give much credit to this site and to the Dr.'s I am working with for that.

Hang in there, this is doable!!
Wendy
Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR I hope the therapy helps you to mantain sobriety... It has really worked for me.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My story is that I went to my EAP and had a chemical dependency evaluation. After that I went through outpatient treatment (which my insurance paid for) and also went to AA meetings. I have been sober ever since.

But I know we are all a little different and may have individual needs. Its funny, after I stopped drinking, I had to face my problems without drinking them away. That was a shocker at first, but quickly got better!

Good luck!

Dave

ps I am in Human Resources, so I know a few things about benefits.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David 1 View Post
My story is that I went to my EAP and had a chemical dependency evaluation. After that I went through outpatient treatment (which my insurance paid for) and also went to AA meetings. I have been sober ever since.

But I know we are all a little different and may have individual needs. Its funny, after I stopped drinking, I had to face my problems without drinking them away. That was a shocker at first, but quickly got better!

Good luck!

Dave

ps I am in Human Resources, so I know a few things about benefits.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your thougths. Im on Day 4.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Better late than never!

Welcome NotDrunk, I'm glad you are here, I have visited Vancouver, Whistler, Banff I even got to stay in the chateau on Lake Louise. You have a lot of beautiful places around you, and now you have a lot of beautiful people around you too!

I'm heavy,

Welcome here