Notices

Hello

Old 08-05-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I am new to this board. I probably sunk my lowest on Sunday nite/Monday Morning and I have been really having a hard time since then. I drank far too much and did things I would have never eventhough of doing when I am sober. I crossed the line and I have been depressed, anxious and feeling like a total drunken looser since. I jepordized everything I have just to be a stupid drunk. Anyways that is my lovley introduction. I am scared I wont be able to make it. I know in a few days I will say tomyself "oh I wasnt that bad - at least I didnt ect ect" and make excuses for my behaviour. I am 37 years old and have a 8 year old daughter a 19 year old step son and a husband. What on earth am I doing?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm new too.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Welcome to SR. Don't beat yourself up, we've all done things we regret! You came to the right place!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scoob View Post
Welcome. I'm new too.
Thank you - welcome to you too.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to SR!

Glad you found us. There's a great deal of love and support here, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Remember. . . most of us have been where you are right now.

It does get better.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlvrMag View Post
Welcome to SR. Don't beat yourself up, we've all done things we regret! You came to the right place!
Thank you - I think if I keep beating myself up maybe just maybe I will get it.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have probably heard that we have to hit bottom before we can get serious about getting help. So maybe look at this in a positive light - Maybe you are now ready?

The members here are great and are here to offer advice, plus like serenityqueen said, we have all been there and can relate!

Dave
Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David 1 View Post
Welcome! You have probably heard that we have to hit bottom before we can get serious about getting help. So maybe look at this in a positive light - Maybe you are now ready?

The members here are great and are here to offer advice, plus like serenityqueen said, we have all been there and can relate!

Dave
Thanks Dave,
I am definitley ready for something. I cant live like this. I am far too stressed out and worrying about who is calling. I turned my ringers off on the phones since yesterday morning cause I dont want to hear from anyone. This is no way of living. I plan on posting here lots I may also check out a AA Meeting I was looking at a list today and found there are tons of them around here.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been sober for close to five years now, but I have an event etched in my mind. I was at a neighborhood party and drank way too much cabernet.

I woke up the next morning hung over and could not find my wedding ring (which by the way has a 1.5ct diamond.) I had to call the neighbor that hosted the party and asked if she had found a ring and she said it was lying on an end table!

On the one hand, I was glad I found it but on the other I knew I had a problem with alcohol and talk about embarrassed - The neighbors had to help me walk home!

The meetings are a good start, but do you have access to an employee assistance program through you or your husband's employer?

The EAP may offer counseling to include a chemical dependency evaluation or short term treatment plan.

ps - You live in such a beautiful place - I am jealous!

Take care!

Dave
Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David 1 View Post
I have been sober for close to five years now, but I have an event etched in my mind. I was at a neighborhood party and drank way too much cabernet.

I woke up the next morning hung over and could not find my wedding ring (which by the way has a 1.5ct diamond.) I had to call the neighbor that hosted the party and asked if she had found a ring and she said it was lying on an end table!

On the one hand, I was glad I found it but on the other I knew I had a problem with alcohol and talk about embarrassed - The neighbors had to help me walk home!

The meetings are a good start, but do you have access to an employee assistance program through you or your husband's employer?

The EAP may offer counseling to include a chemical dependency evaluation or short term treatment plan.

ps - You live in such a beautiful place - I am jealous!

Take care!

Dave
It is funny that you mention about the Employee Assisance Program because yes I do have one and I was just online looking to see what they cover for Extended Benefits. It had Pyschologist on it to maximum of 600 per calendar year but didnt say anything about Rehab at all I may call tomorrow to clarify that. My husband is covered on my benefits. I drink usually 2-3 times a week and it is quite a bit I mean that is why I guess I black out so much. After drinking one night there is no way I could even stomach a drink the next day I have tried to cut down but it dosent work. I just dont get how my husband can do it he can have beers then quite and eat dinner go to bed I just keep going and going until like 3 in the morning. I know he wishes I could just have a few and leave it at that. Thanks again for your posts.
PS. It is beautiful here in Vancouver today it was in the 30's very HOT for us.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi NotDrunk. I've done some incredibly stupid and embarassing things while drunk. Someone here once told me to put the bat away and get back up. That really helped me. We've all beaten ourselves up and it hasn't worked out so good for most of us. Thinking about those things usually made me want to have some drinks! I'm only at 15 days but I feel great (most of the time). Looking forward to reading your posts.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I thought I had done some really horrible things, but then I went to a closed AA meeting and there was a gathering after. It was very very eye opening.

You are not alone! Welcome to SR. You have found a wonderful place.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! Please stop beating yourself up. It does no good. Be kinder to yourself and take it one day at a time. Just don't drink for today. You can do this. I was a chronic relapser and I'm now on my 24th day sober. So if I can finally "get it" so can you!:ghug3
Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notdrunk View Post
I drink usually 2-3 times a week and it is quite a bit I mean that is why I guess I black out so much. After drinking one night there is no way I could even stomach a drink the next day I have tried to cut down but it dosent work. I just dont get how my husband can do it he can have beers then quite and eat dinner go to bed I just keep going and going until like 3 in the morning. I know he wishes I could just have a few and leave it at that.
Welcome! I related A LOT your post. Drinking 2 or 3 times a week is also my pattern. And I have blackouts too. AND my husband can have a couple beers/drinks and stop. So we are in similar situations.

It's easy to not drink the day after a binge. I feel horrible, physically and mentally. But then a couple days pass....and alcohol doesn't seem so bad anymore. I can have a few...

SR has been a huge help for me. I've stumbled. I don't have a long string of sober days behind me yet, but SR has kept me from giving up. It's kept me from forgetting that I have a drinking problem.

And definitely keep checking into the employee assistance program! What a great resource you have!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Detrermined to quit

I Can relate also. I stopped overnight and had a fit. (I realsie this is stupid, but it was a start to the end of my cycle, I hope). Welcome!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mommyof2

Hey there notdrunk. My pattern of drinking was EXACTLY like yours. I was known as the blackout queen, the woman who had to be carried out of any where.

In my experience, beating myself up only led to drug use. But that seems to be the nature of the beast, we feel really bad about ourselves and we often turn to self medicating to make the feelings go away.

Going to meetings is a good start. Coming here, well, I dont know what I would do without this site.

Prayers for you, we can do this!!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

For my recovery from alcoholism
I use God and AA....it's been an awesome adventure

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome notdrunk!!
I can relate as well. Unfortunately no matter how much I wish I could drink like my fellows, I can not.
I had my last drunk 91 days ago and I have never felt better. I see a therapist once a week. I was able to do this through my husband's EAP. I did an internet search on therapists specializing in chemical dependency. I love it. I also go to a lot of meetings, work the steps, and connect with my HP on a daily basis. I never knew i could feel so good about myself so quick. My last drunk was a BAD one. I will forgive myself one day but for today, I do not pick up, no matter what!!

Keep coming back, SR has been a wonderful part of my recovery plan!