Notices

What should I stock up on before the detox

Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link for you....please read

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Note that not one of us had exactly the same experiences.
That's why seeing your doctor is the way to go..

Edit to add: This may sound silly, but should I avoid pain medicine for a while? I usually take Nurofen Plus for pain (I suspect I take too many, as I'll average 4 a day to deal with hang overs) which is 200mg ibuprofen and 12.8mg codeine phosphate.
This may or may not influence your withdrawal.
I don't know. Nor does anyone else at SR.
Again...a doctor is best.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes I would highly recommend seeing a doctor because detoxing can be extremely dangerous alone! Once you are cleared by a doctor, I'd recommend stocking up on gatorade, water, vitamins, hard candy, milk, 7-up or some sort of tonic water, crackers and possibly some ibuprofen for the aches and pains.

Also, stock up on movies and/or books, as you may not feel like going anywhere for a couple days.

Keep posting... you can do this, we are rooting for you!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you check in today December and let us know how you're doing.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

water water water water water!
...the most basic simple source of liquid on earth, yet so vital to our bodies hehe

i have never taken vitamins but hear B1 thiamine is what to look for, and then i have heard you should just get the entire "B complex" so that you can balance out all of your B vitamins...but defiantly check with a doctor about that.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How you doing December?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Stock Up On:

1. Determination.
2. Advice from doctor.
3. All of the "home remedies" described above (what a wealth of knowledge).
4. Phone numbers of reliable support.
5. Phone numbers of local AA/NA hot lines for that "panic call" when you can't reach anyone else.
6. List of nearby AA/NA meetings when you're feeling up to getting out of the house (usually by the fifth day).

The rest is up to you; but, it is do-able!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Jules62;1853412]Vitamins are hardly 'medical advice'-just a suggestion to help with the process.I know they helped me and they're not toxic unless you're a complete moron and eat the entire bottle in one go-and who is going to do that really? They're vitamins....

Totally irrelevant but your post made me think of a funny story......when my brother was 5 years old, he took an entire bottle of Flintstones vitamins (30 of them). When my Mother asked him why, he told her that he didn't want to have to remember to take 1 everyday so he took a whole month worth at one time..... LMAO

Sorry for the intrusion, back to the topic at hand:-)
Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sometimes intrusions are a good thing.

You're armed with some good advice & you seem to have a great attitude. I hope you're looking forward to your new life instread of the "dread" of de-toxing. I tried to avoid it for so long I just made it that much harder on myself. Looking forward to hearing how you're doing. Love, Joanie
Old 07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I've got a good list going and I'll call the chemist today to order everything. I'm nervous about calling the chemist because they'll probably look at what I'm getting and know that it's for Alcohol problems.

First night went ok. I made a lot of soup (chicken stock with loads of vegies) and also made some jelly cups (Jello for the Americans I beileve?) and some custard (which I think I killed rather than made lol but we'll see how it goes). I managed to sleep really well, which was very unexpected. I had a few 'moments' while falling asleep - I am sure other people have them, when you sort of get trapped in the almost-asleep-barely-awake stage. It only lasted an hour or so last night (I think) so that's great. I only woke up a few times during the night as well. I dreamt of alcohol all night, but I also dreamt of this forum which was weird. I woke up not wanting a drink, but wanting to post here saying "I made day 1!". Last night was better than the last time, no sweating or getting shakes or waking up in a panic. And didn't see any imaginary people in my room!

Tonight is Friday which is traditionally a drinking night... although, traditionally so was Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday... you get the drift). I'll be distracting myself with the TV and computer games.