Notices

What should I stock up on before the detox

Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What should I stock up on before the detox

Hi all, I am making today my first day and was wondering what I can do to ease the detox process. I had some great advice in another thread about some herbal things to combat the side effects (thank you) and it got me thinking about other vitamins/herbal things which might help. The doctor told me once that vitamin B is good, but I can't remember if it's a numbered B or just called vitamin B.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Edit to add: This may sound silly, but should I avoid pain medicine for a while? I usually take Nurofen Plus for pain (I suspect I take too many, as I'll average 4 a day to deal with hang overs) which is 200mg ibuprofen and 12.8mg codeine phosphate.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see another Aussie

I think it's just Vit B - like, you know, in Vegemite even - but I took multivitamins anyway when I first started - I figured I needed them.

Nuros shouldn't be a problem, so long as you stick to recommended dose.

Eat plenty of fresh healthy food if you can, and keep your fluids up. Get lots of rest.

And see a doctor if pain persists

(Seriously its a really good idea to talk to yr doctor about this beforehand anyway - I didn't - and nothing went wrong - but I wouldn't do it that way again - sober responsible Dee says best be safe)

I'm not sure of any way to lessen the process - I just went the 'grin and bear it' route.
Your doctor might have some ideas.

Welcome anyway!
D
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im glad to hear your going to detox. I know how hard that can be. I was there myself 18 days ago. Please dont request or give any medical advice here at SoberRecovery. Even if its only Vitamins. This is simply a place for support. I hope you understand. Thanks. Mike
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Unconditional Love

Thumbs up Been there recently, here's what I longed for -

Chapstick and chewing gum were high on my list. Something to read for entertainment and an AA Big Book is very useful, and a deck of cards was nice to have too, especially when TV was off limits. Check out the facility's rules ahead of time as I'm sure it varies.

Congratulations on taking the big step! Good luck on your journey to finding yourself again and loving life on life's terms.

Kathy

Last edited by catloverhimmies; 07-31-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: worded it wrong
Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont know how long your going or if your going to rehab after...But I brought lots of snacks. Any and everything they let me to make it more comfortable.
I didnt want to risk me wanting to leave. So the more I had to make me feel like I had a piece of home with me. The better I felt. Chapstick and lotion was huge. Being inside like that dries you up.
But yea...check with the facility to see what you can and cant have.
I was allowed my own pillow and blanket too.
Some places dont let you have products with alcohol in them.
They will regulate what you will take for your pain. So let the professionals handle that.
Just make sure you tell them on intake what pains your having. They should ask anyway.
Great job and good luck.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

FD I assumed you meant home detox - if not...read the other posts

good luck
D
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yes, sorry home detox - I wasn't very clear about that. Also - sorry Mike I didn't mean to ask for medical advice.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

What's needed? Determination to go to whatever lengths necessary to get and stay sober
I'm alway excited to hear someone willing to make the changes required.

Follow directions and leave your own thinking alone for awhile.

Start working step 1.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I would suggest you talk to a Dr before doing it.
If not..Make sure you have someone that knows what your doing and checks on you. And keep your phone close.
And what SS said up there.
Lots of determination.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Meditation CDs/books/DVDs - things to help you "just be"
Funny/light movies/books for escapism (when you don't want to be!)
New rituals (I bought a stunning teapot so I could come home and make pot of tea to sit with and unwind.)
Something different to do such as paints and canvas...I find it easier to replace one habit with another (less destructive) one and it is hard when your life is exactly the same except without alcohol.
A journal - even if you want to scream, it is great to record it (coloured markers are fun!) Also helps to recognise triggers.

Not 100% sober but these helped me to get 50% of way over last few months!

And I do recommend a dog or three!!! (Although since only 50% sober days, maybe that should be 1.5 dogs!)

Pups
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Vitamins are hardly 'medical advice'-just a suggestion to help with the process.I know they helped me and they're not toxic unless you're a complete moron and eat the entire bottle in one go-and who is going to do that really? They're vitamins....

I wish you well in the process.I do think if you've been a serious drinker/addict-you are best off seeing a doctor before you do this however.It can be dangerous.

Jules.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi ForeverDecember~

Congrats on your first day! I have been taking B1 and B9, plus a multi, as prescribed by the hospital where I detoxed. I've read that it is best to take a B complex (because all of them support one another for maximum benefit). The B's are great for reducing stress.

Here are some things that helped a lot when I detoxed at home:
*Healthy, "clean" food in small amounts, 4-6 hours apart (stabilizes blood sugar, keeps glucose moving to the brain). Best to give your liver a break and avoid anything complex, overly spicy or processed. Soup broth is a good one---miso is especially good for cleansing toxins from the body. So are water saute veggies w. quinoa.
Odd as this sounds, raw carrots are also very helpful at pulling toxins from the body (and they give your mouth something better to do than ingest alcohol-LOL).

*As Dee said-plenty of fluids. Drink lots of water!!!!!

*Something comforting to drink when not drinking water. All-fruit juices (no added sugar) help w/ cravings. Decaf teas: I had this thing for Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea for awhile. Not sure if you can get that in Australia. Detox teas (Yogi brand-ditto on availability) are mild and soothing.

*Have a support person to check in on you, share some meals, etc. If no one is available to be w/ you in person, contact someone you can trust and ask if they will be available by phone. It really helped to know someone was pulling for me.

*As best as possible, avoid things that may be triggering (if you are like me, just about everything was triggering-LOL). Rest as much as possible, and take short walks, do some stretching, or whatever kind of low impact movement is appealing. Breaking out of my drinking routine was extremely helpful.

*Bathing in epson salts: reduces toxins, is relaxing, eases pain in joints/ muscles....

*Have the fridge stocked w/ healthy things. Dump all alcohol so there is no "just one" temptation.

*Keeping my mind distracted/ occupied: reading, watching movies, hanging out on SR (highly recommended). Working on all of the complicated matters of life had to wait to initial detox was completed.

Wishing you a healthy and safe detox. Glad you have found SR.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't know why I bothered posting really-LOL

Great post soos

Julesxox
Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForeverDecember View Post
Yes, sorry home detox - I wasn't very clear about that. Also - sorry Mike I didn't mean to ask for medical advice.
No need to be sorry, just keep us posted on how your doing.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey! Where did they put the "thanks" button?
Thanks pups and jules!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Detox from what? Alcohol based on the responses so far but you never told us in your post. Any other substances in this mix?

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

The 'find more posts' link is your friend DG

D
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was low on folic acid after quitting drinking, so if you are gonna take vitamins maybe you could find some with that in it.

Good luck with the detox!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I was low on folic acid after quitting drinking, so if you are gonna take vitamins maybe you could find some with that in it.

Good luck with the detox!
BTW: Folic acid is B9. Very helpful for me. I was low too.
Not to sound like a smarty pants--I just read up on this last week.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

^smartypants!

LOL

(kidding kidding)

Off to bed now....

Julesxox