Notices

Higher Power and AA

Old 07-29-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

sometimes my head sounds like this thread!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

You have it enshrined in the steps that God is male and one should be humble before "HIM". I can't think of a better definition of this world's big 3 monotheistic faiths
Either re-write these steps or desist from claiming spirituality over religion

Sorry,but
Old 07-29-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

crisco

Good Luck !!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
where the light is

Initially, I did my step work using a very basic and personal definition of my Higher Power. What makes me stronger? Prior to joining AA, I had made it through some very tough situations by focusing on my late father, his strength & love for me, or by thinking of my children, being strong for them. This was my initial Higher Power, what brought me focus & strength. As a worked through the steps, what I considered to be my Higher Power expanded - spiritual growth. My own personal belief is that I always had that spiritual nature within me but it was clouded over by ego.

The point is that I did not get hung up on trying to create an elaborate and complete definition of my Higher Power. Nor did I overanalyze the words in the Big Book. I just did what the book tells me to do with the guidance of my sponsor. I needed to move forward with the steps or I would have started drinking again. At each step, I did my best with what I had to work with rather than find excuses to stall. I worked through all 12 steps in 4 months. I am now 7 ½ months sober, alcohol has no place in my life, and I am at peace.

AA is just one program of recovery. If you can't reconcile your beliefs with the 12 steps then maybe you are wasting your time. However, from what I read in your post, it sounds like your conception of a Higher Power will work just fine.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Thanks, NM...this pretty much speaks to my experience and my understanding. I haven't heard it so well put before.

Originally Posted by Negative Man View Post
For me, my higher power is INSIDE of me. It actually says this somewhere in the Big Book. I'll ask my sponsor about it.

For years, I turned away from what was good inside of me. My higher power is my life spirit that makes me want to make a contribution to others in this life. I can't do that if I turn my back on what is good within myself. I can't help others if I'm numbing myself from my life force.

Maybe think of it that way? And don't be afraid to raise your hand in a meeting and say "I'm not really sure about this higher power thing." There are others that feel this way.

Finally, something is making a miracle in me. Something is stopping me from drinking. I was not able to do that for years, until I came to this inner higher power. So, to me, it is a miracle, even if I don't understand it.

-- NM
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
sometimes my head sounds like this thread!
LMAO..Thx ananda..You were right on time with that...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The whole HP thing is hard for me. The BB says it can be whatever you want but then goes on to talk in obviously Christian terms about "God" all the time. It is very off-putting to me.

I have found that by meditating, (buddhist/yoga type) I can find some sort of spiritual peace. My ego can dissolve and what is left is that spirit that NM talks about.

I could go on trying to explain it but I would get lost, lol. The BB talks about 'the spirit of the universe' being an idea of HP, I see it as a universal conciousness that is inside and outside of me.

The funny thing is I need to meditate to keep it fresh in my mind so it fits step 11 perfectly.

I don't know if I am ready to believe my HP can relieve me of my alcoholism but I do know that when I meditate and bring myself into contact with that peaceful feeling I don't want to drink...maybe that is the same thing?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I found that if I was open and willing to the idea of there being a power greater than alcohol which could relieve me of my dependence, that was enough to begin with. All it took was a little humility and for me to stop fighting and resisting, stop the quarrelling in my addled mind.

For the first few months of sobriety I was unable to think clearly, my emotions seesawed and I was in a fog of anger , shame, sadness and uncertainty and I simply trusted in what sober friends in AA told me -- after that the gratitude to whatever unknown Power had helped me was overwhelming and I found the desire to drink had left me. It is paradoxical and I believe that it has to be experienced to be understood. As I begin to restructure my life and learn how to live sober, I am free to explore the nature of that Higher Power. That such power exists, I am in no doubt.

I owe my life to AA and always will.

Love

Mala
Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Cliche time!

I don't remember the actual wording but it is something like...

'the program definitely works if you have a God, it can work without a God but it cannot work if you think you are God'.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There are many "religious" people in AA but the program itself is a "spiritual" program. And your HIgher Power can be anything greater or more powerful than yourself. I know someone who lived near the coast and the Ocean was her Higher Power.

I was raised in a typical Christian home and my faith in God is being renewed as I get older and closer to the end of my life on earth. My Higher Power is also my two dogs for their unconditional love for me. My Higher Power is also the Universe.

Don't let anyone's talk of "their God" put you off AA. tHis is your sobriety and it's about you and YOUR Higher Power. Whatever works for you!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I like what I have heard several times...

Religion is for people who don't want to go to hell.

Spirituality is for those who have already been to hell and don't want to go back.

I don't find nature or the power of the group to be religious at all. But they are both a higher power.

And Least said it best there above: Don't let anyone's talk of "their God" put you off AA. tHis is your sobriety and it's about you and YOUR Higher Power. Whatever works for you!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post

Don't let anyone's talk of "their God" put you off AA. tHis is your sobriety and it's about you and YOUR Higher Power. Whatever works for you!

Exactly!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Least said

There are many "religious" people in AA but the program itself is a "spiritual" program.
I agree. The difference between these is straightforward. "Religious" is about talk, beliefs, opinions, prejudices. "Spirituality" is about actions and behaviours and results. When we talk and prattle, we are being religious - look, I'm doing it now. When I act, to do something productive for myself or for others, without thought of the beliefs, opinions, prejudices that I or anyone else has as a result of that - then I'm being spiritual.

My final opinion on HP and recovery is this. Drink enough. You will find an HP.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
Least said

I agree. The difference between these is straightforward. "Religious" is about talk, beliefs, opinions, prejudices. "Spirituality" is about actions and behaviours and results. When we talk and prattle, we are being religious - look, I'm doing it now. When I act, to do something productive for myself or for others, without thought of the beliefs, opinions, prejudices that I or anyone else has as a result of that - then I'm being spiritual.

My final opinion on HP and recovery is this. Drink enough. You will find an HP.
Great post.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It is crystal clear that aa is a religious program. Several Federal Courts of Appeal, the State courts of NY & TN have ruled such. I repect that judgment.

All the talk of spiritual not religious is "group speak", this is what one is taught over and over to say when the question arises...which it does...all the time.

The phrase "Religion is for people who don't want to go to hell, spirituality is for people who have been there." is beyond repulsive to me. It reeks of arrogance and is exclusionary. Typical from the group which propagates its use.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I actually would agree with bugs on some of this. I've heard alot of different definitions on religion and on spirituality. So there really is no agreement. And it doesn't really matter what the dictiionarys say...it is important to understand what the person using the word is trying to say.

I guess to me it doesn't matter what you call it...religion or spirituality...my buttons get pushed all the time by what I think a word means. But whtever it is, you either find AA is a place where you are able to find sobriety with your belief system, or it doesn't work for you.

For me I have an HP, I have a religion, I have AA, I have SR....I have lots of stuff that fits comfortably into my life to help me stay sober and live a life of meaning.

If you find a group of AA that is loving accepting and open..that is great and can really help an alchoholic who wants recovery. If that option doesn't appear, perhaps there are other resources that will work for you. I love SR because it opens my mind and my eyes to all the possibilities of sobriety!

The one consistantcy seems to be that recovery usually involves involvement with other alchoholics and relationships with all people in the world.