Notices

first AA meeting

Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey there...

I went to my first meeting January, walked in past tough looking men smoking outside, walked down the stairs, was approached by another woman .... and I promptly burst into tears. lol And ya know what? I have NEVER met more understanding, non-judgemental people in my life! These "toughs" outside came into the meeting and some of THEM broke down and cried, too! Not an eye-lash fluttered. There is nothing you can say in those rooms that these people haven't heard.

Heck, I'm on Day 11 right now, just came back from a meeting and ya know what? I bawled again! lol! And it's okay, 'cause emotions will come out and no one minds at all. And now I feel calmer and serene and happy to have heard all these people telling "my" story from their own experiences. And the craving has gone back to it's hiding place again. The meetings seem to banish the cravings from me.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Becca this is in response to your quote about only being 20. I am only 29 and just getting it now. When I see young people I think to myself what a strong person. I wish I got it when I was 20. That would be 9 years of my life that I in someways lost. Be proud that you are 20 and there. At 20 I would not even fathom the idea of not drinking. It was who I was and all my friends. So for you to be where you are is so great.

Just go and listen. If you are called on and do not want to speak either pass or say I am just listening for today.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I bet you'll be surprised at how many young people are there! At the meetings in my town there are teenagers all the way up to people in their 80s. I'm in my early 30s and very much want to meet some new sober friends.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hi everyone- well i just got back from my meeting, it was very small- only about 6 of us (i was the youngest- but it didnt matter, they didnt treat me different) and im going to another one 2moz

thanks again for all ur support

becca
xx
Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi becca. I was going to say not to worry about having to say anything at your first meeting if you don't want to and being young, there's all kinds of people in AA. But I see you went all ready. I'm glad you tried a meeting. Did you like it? We have a lot of small groups in my area too.

Barb
Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What good news!
I am so pleased for you....
Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was like you...scared to death of meetings....went to my first 12 days ago....I love them...I need them...I need the people...I need the safety of those 4 sacred walls...I havent told my story yet, I usually sit in the back and cry...and laugh...but I've met some great support...I feel more at home in those meetings than anywhere right now...they are saving me...and they will save you!!!! stay strong sister!!! those meetings have giving me my teenage daughters back....I love them!!!!
xoxoxo LG